Affliction: Fall of Sanction - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Original Works All user written fiction from any Games Workshop setting should be posted here. Please use the drop-downs to denote which setting your story belongs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-08, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
The Traveler

Dirge Eterna's Flag is: USA

Default Affliction: Fall of Sanction

Hey all, I had a breakthrough earlier today. This is going to be my first 40K themed work that I plan to finish since Unending, based around the fall of the Knights Templar fortress on Sanction. You can expect a few things from the title, I suppose.

OK, intro it is then.
-Dirge
----------------------------------------------------------------------

INQUISITORIAL REPORT
Pertaining to Research Division 22371(H)
Specific 0013(AFL)

Name: N/A
Homeworld: St. Erica's Hope
Currently: En route to Sanction, Inquisitorial Vessel Imperical

Strain: 16-227(A), viable to 87% population.
Carrier: Contact (N), Airborne (N)

Containment rating: Omega (Grade 5)
Physiology Notation: Risk of overheating due to rapid metabolism. Cooling unit implanted. NOTE TO STAFF: Do not remove the pipes from the cooling fins to the containment cell during interrogation sessions, subject is prone to seizures due to overheat. Recommend use of neural interrogation instead of physical methods.

Notes: Subject is to be kept in full light AT ALL TIMES. 0013(AFL) is highly evolved to hunt in total darkness, showing high degrees of intelliegence including but not limited to using weapons, technology, and comms gear, attacking isolated patrols, and seems to have a semblance of it's former self. 0013(AFL) also has a very serious contagion risk, although it seems that the strain is neither spread by contact or airborne toxins, therefore it is theorectical that the AFL strain of the Research Division improvement program is a physical taint, and not a contagion after all.

Compiled by Magos Killian Etheul, Adeptus Biologis

Last checked 1204 hours by Terrence Derorc, Rating First Class

Current Status\: STABLE

ETA Sanction: 00071.43 hours

You'll forgive me, but you must be mistaken. I've met your makers, and they don't even know your name...

GIVING CHASE- ORDO HERETICUS FIC
(Updated Mar. 19)

Hat in the Ring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-08, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
The Traveler

Thought I'd add on a little teaser.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I remember the day I made my plan.

I remember when I was nine. On little St. Erica's Hope out in the Rim. The day that the madman first saw me. He was the one. He had a little white box, and he ran it over each of the children in my village. When he scanned me, the box beeped and lights flashed. He gave me an ancient eagle and head coin from Terra, told me the Emperor wanted my help. That I could save millions, and fight for Humanity. I didn't want my parents to say no, so I ran away with the man.

Months of pain. Of suffering deep and dark and cold in that cell on Mimas. The Biologis man with the machine parts and his twittering minions. The endless sessions of the liquid-filled tank, tubes and machines and pain filling the spaces not taken by my changing body or the yellow ooze they used to blunt the agony as my bones shifted.

They said I was becoming stronger. That I could see in the dark, run faster then a Rhino, lift a fully armored Grey Knight. Think faster then a VI on Mars, use every piece of technology known to man. They gave me problems, long math problems that only the Magos knew how to solve. On the first try I beat him to the answer. I remember the day. He looked at me like I was hell itself.

The pain receded. The surgeons finally refused to do any more work on my already shattered form. I was free to explore my mind for the first time in ten years. The walls of my cell became covered in diagrams and problems, overlaying the frantic scratches and cracks from my endless beating against the stone walls. They told me on my last day on Mimas that I was leaving. My hearts soared. I was placed in a adamantium holding cell and loaded onto the Imperical, a Dauntless-class cruiser, by the sound of it's engines. The deckhands didn't like me watching them through the one viewport in the cell, so they bolted a sheet of duraplast over it.

And so I wait, the short jump from Mimas to the relay at Cadia, then to Sanction. I knew that there would only be one chance to leave forever. And so, staring at the grey duraplast that covered my viewport with my inhumanly yellow gaze, I planned that one day, one day I would be free to walk in the light once more.

I remember the day that I put my plan into action.

You'll forgive me, but you must be mistaken. I've met your makers, and they don't even know your name...

(Updated Mar. 19)

Hat in the Ring
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-08, 07:44 AM

Ordo Xeno Commander's Flag is: New Zealand

Oh bloody hell, the damn tension and its only a teaser!

I see where the whole cooling tubes and mutating virus came from, you have been playing far too much Resistance : Fall of Man.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-08, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
The Traveler

Thanks to my avatar, no doubt. The PX got a copy of Resistance 2 and the Chimera just look so cool.

(Updated Mar. 19)

Hat in the Ring
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-08, 08:06 PM

Oh yea, I played it for about 5 hours straight with a mate on co-op, so much fun.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-24-08, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
The Traveler

LANDFALL
Day 0, 2200 hours
-----------------------

Inquisitor Lord Taros Welan was not used to being challenged.

"I'm sorry, sir. I can't let anyone into Sanction's airspace without an authorization from the orbital."

"Open this door or the Inquisition will execute you for impeding the Emperor's work!"

The speaker crackled and an older, more powerful voice spoke.

"Silence. The Inquisition has no power over the Templars. You should know that, Inquisitor"

Welan seethed. His retinue shrank back. "I am Inquisitor Lord Welan, here to oversee a Biologis experiment. Open the door!"

The speaker crackled off, and the bulkhead opened. Welan stared down the barrels of a half-dozen bolters and a heavy Plasma cannon. The Marines hesitated before lowering the guns. The leading figure, a white stripe on his steel-colored helm and his long white cloak identifying him as a higher rank, stepped forward.

"Brother-Captain." said Welan, extending his hand.

"Crusader." corrected the Marine, enclosing Welan's hand in a massive gauntlet.

Welan cocked his head. "Excuse me?"

"The ranking of the Templars is different then the Codex Chapters, Inquisitor. Our ranks are Templar, Lancer, Crusader, Lord, Master. I am Brother-Crusader Saul Orelius."

Welan removed his hand and gestured at the last two men in his retinue, pushing a gurney.

"May I present Subject 22371H-0013AFL. Our little present for the Biologis division on Sanction."

0013 was strapped to the steel slab by sixteen metal bindings, across its chest, legs, neck, shoulders, and completely encosing its hands and feet. Its reversed ankles were painfully bent to allow the bindings to work. Saul leaned over in fascination, staring at the creature. Its skin was a light tan/brown, with six bright yellow eyes. A fanged maw had two small pincers, one on either side, presumably to swallow food whole. It was bent backwards over a small metal pack on its back, with a slight blue mist trailing from it. A small bag marked SDTVE hung on a metal pole, feeding depressants into its system and keeping it asleep.

"It overheats." said Welan, with a dismissive gesture. "Don't mess with the pack."

Saul nodded to his men. Two marines stepped forward to push the gurney onto a gravlift. The doors closed on the men, and the lift shot up toward the Biologis tower.

-------------------------------------------------

0013 opened one eye.

The marines were talking about something or another. Apparently a gun servitor on the southern wall had gone mad, injuring a Brother and two serfs before three other Marines blew it to "gory chunks".

The drip bag on his gurney was the key part of his plan. The medicae didn't know about any of his capabilities, and, desperate to get him out of his sight, attached the first sedative he could find.

Idiot. The depressant in the bag barely made his eyes flutter.

A second part of his plan was the jailor. Also keen to get away from 0013 as quickly as possible, he hadn't noticed 0013 slide a small sliver of metal between the lock. It looked closed, but most of his bindings were not secure.

The marines turned to look at him.

"Ugly son-of-a-bitch isn't he?" remarked one.

"Yep. Looks like ganger mixed with Hormagaunt." replied the other.

"How do you know he isn't? Some of those degenerates wouldn't think twice about that!"

The marines roared with laughter.

0013 leapt from the table, throwing both men back. The needle in his arm stabbed the first marine through the eye, sending him passed out to the ground. The second grabbed at a bolter. 0013 jumped onto his chest, pinning him to the floor. A hand swept toward the gun. 0013 brought down his fist, smashing the hand and cracking armor. The man roared in rage and smashed his other fist into 0013's chest, sending the creature flying backwards. He yelped as he hit the wall of the lift.

The marine rose, murder burning in his eyes. He lifted the bolter.

"Suffer not the mutant-" he began.

0013, feigning weakness, jumped to tackle the man, sending both of them to the ground. The lift screamed to a halt as it's overworked motor finally quit. The glass side of the shaft overlooked Liberation Square, the center of Solace, Sanction's capital. The marine, dazzled by having his head shaken around in his helm, didn't see as 0013 smashed the window, leaping off the side of the building to catch ledge after ledge, controlling a fall almost six hundred feet in length. He smashed into the marble tiles of the square, immediately diving right into a stall. He rooted through the bins of flotsam, coming up with a black cloak that would serve nicely. A small silver aquila and a wooden staff completed the disguise. As he left the rockrete box of a store, he heard sirens wail in the Biologis building. A few people glanced his way as he walked across the Square, but many did not, and soon Subject 0013 had vanished into the crowds.

(Updated Mar. 19)

Hat in the Ring
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-24-08, 07:51 AM

gah, more brilliant work. keep it up dirge, i love it!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-24-08, 03:24 PM
Unknown Soldier's Flag is: United Kingdom

I agree with Ordo Xeno, I'm really digging this story. I'd really like to know why they changed his biological identity and what his ultimate purpose is going to be.

I have my own crackpot theories of course - the number one being that the Imperium is creating it's own Tyranid infiltrators.

It will be fascinating to find out his true purpose and I'm also kind of hoping the story turns into the 40k equivalent of The Fugitive.

More please.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-25-08, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
The Traveler

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll post the next segment later.

-Dirge

(Updated Mar. 19)

Hat in the Ring
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-08, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
The Traveler

REVELATION
Day 1, 0600 hours
----------------------

The Fifth Ace was a shadowy bar hidden in the depths of Solace's market district. A stout metal door kept the worst of Sanction's dregs from the interior, although in truth, Sanction had very few "dregs" to contend with. The Templars' fortress monastary kept most of the criminals off the streets. That, coupled with the near-constant patrols of Templar serfs made the planet of Sanction one of the most safe and secure planets in the Segmentum Pacificus.

0013 knocked on the door. A steel eyeslit in the door was pulled back.

"What's the word?" hissed a voice.

0013 was taken aback for the slightest instant before he realized that the man couldn't see his face under the hood.

"Not a mutant?" guessed 0013, pulling the cloak a little tighter.

The man barked a laugh. "A joker. You're no mutant, I'd warrant."

The bolt slid back, and the door opened. A fat, bearded man stood aside, handing him a stein of cheap beer.

"First one's on the house. Fifth Ace custom."

0013 took the mug and gulped down the lot, giving the glass back to the stupefied man before walking across the bar. The beer made his stomach feel twisted, after a lifetime of gluten extracts and protien bars. He tapped the bar, and the bartender slid another mug across the counter. He gulped down the second, and then ordered the most interestingly named food on the slip of paper passed to him. A waitress passed him a plate piled high with "onion circlets", and he immediately was taken by the taste. A salty, slightly crunchy exterior concealing an odd-tasting center. Glorious.

He drank three more mugs of the yellowish beer and another plate of onions before the bartender tapped him.

"Are you Imperial Church? Otherwise you gotta pay."

0013 stopped eating long enough to pull a handfull of coins from the cloak's pocket. He had combed the street for an hour, picking up several credits' worth of coinage. He had also shaken nearly twenty credits from a box marked "DONATIONS" outside the Biologis building's guard shack before an Arbites had chased him away. He quickly lost the man, but resolved to not touch any more DONATIONS boxes.

The bartender took a few of the coins, and pushed the remainder back to 0013, who pocketed them. The onion circlets were disappearing from his plate with depressing speed, so he picked the rest off the plate and put them into another pocket of the cloak, leaving another coin for the man. He nodded to the bouncer, before heading out into the night.

------------------------------------

0013 woke with a start.

His hood was flapping in the breeze wafting down the alley. He tightened the string holding it closed over his face. As he breathed in he caught a whiff of the breeze.

Not breeze.

Exhaust.

He leapt up just a fraction too late, being grabbed by a large man in a black Biologis uniform who ripped off his hood.

"Nice try, deviant. But the Biologis made me a promise, see. If I get you, they'll let me go. I told myself I'd never rat out another mutant, but still."

0013 was swung around to face the man. His skin was covered in spiny growths, and his eyes had slit pupils. A Rhino surrounded by Biologis security grumbled behind the creature. A balding man with a goatee pushed his way past the guards.

"Nice try, mutant. But this little charade is over. Markus?"

The mutant holding 0013 nodded. "Yessir?"

The balding man pulled a fat pistol from his belt and shot Markus in the back, blowing his guts over 0013's cloaked frame.

"Filthy mutant. Good thing he caught you, though. Guardsmen, seize him!"

The black armored men surged forward, knocking 0013 to the ground. Fists hammered his chest and arms. He felt a surge of triumph as one man tumbled back, a 0013 fist-sized hole through him. He kicked out, feeling a leg break, then hawked a globule of green phlegm at the man who was responsible for most of the pummeling. He laughed for a second, until his face froze with terror. The man stayed upright for precious little extra time before the acid burnt all the way through his head, and he collapsed. A guard leapt on his chest, clamping a metal device over his mouth. Handcuffs went over his entire hands, followed by a chain around his legs and feet.

The remaining guards heaved 0013 upright.

"A good fight, 0013. But the Biologis needs you alive."

The balding man leaned closer.

"If it was my choice, you would not even be alive now, scum."

He leaned over to help up the man with the broken leg, revealing his left side was almost all bionics.

0013 cocked his head, calculating.

"I'm more human then you." he said, his speech distorted by a hissing accent, a result of the augmentations.

The man looked at him like 0013 had called his mother a heretic.

"If you ever say that again, I will kill you without a second thought. I am human. You are a mutant."

0013 blinked. "I'm human. Just "enhanced" by your Biologis."

Bald's face turned red with supressed rage. "Filth! I'll have no more of your lies! Take him away!"

The guard next to 0013 pushed him toward the Rhino.

"Will there be onion circlets in the Biologis building?" he asked.

"I'll see what I can do." said the guard, in a fashion which sounded like he would not.

0013 looped the handcuffs around the man's neck, twisting his hands. A dry snapping noise indicated the man's neck was broken. Bald grabbed at the gun a second before 0013 leapt onto his shoulders like a giant bird of prey, pressing him to the ground. Six yellow eyes bored into Bald's stare.

"If you ever do that again, I will kill you without a second thought." said 0013, taking the bolt pistol from his slack fingers. The chains snapped through as he pulled, and he discarded the pile of broken cuffs next to the man. He slid the pistol into his cloak and pulled the now-ragged hood back over his head before leaping up the side of the buildings, vanishing onto the rooftops.

The balding man looked around at the pile of dead or injured guards, and Markus' body, and spoke into his headset.

"Damnation, but the spooks know how to make em'."

(Updated Mar. 19)

Hat in the Ring

Last edited by Dirge Eterna; 11-26-08 at 02:27 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Original Works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode