The End - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Original Works All user written fiction from any Games Workshop setting should be posted here. Please use the drop-downs to denote which setting your story belongs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-06-08, 10:09 AM

waltzmelancholy_07's Flag is: Philipines

THIS IS FECKING AWESOME!!!... Hahahaha...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-08-08, 06:37 PM
Boondock Shogun

Shogun_Nate's Flag is: USA

The flotilla of coalition ships waited in high anchor on the outter rim of the Cadian system out of sensor range of the fleet making it's way towards the blasted Eye of Terror. On the bridge of the Kami Saiban, the last chapter master of the Void Stalkers, Tokugawa Minobu, sat in his command throne high above the milling sea of chapter serfs and servitors whose tireless efforts kept the old ship plying the tides of the Empyrean. The glowing lights of his command lecturn reflected off his burnished golden terminator armor, casting it in various shades of greens and reds and yellows, as he studied the incoming messages from the other ship's commanders.

Word from astropaths had brought bad news. While unable to send messages across the vastness of space, their powers still granted them the abilities to do so over the short distances between the fleet's ships. He rubbed his brow in frustration as the information scrolled across the viewscreen incompassing his lectern. The Minotaurs and the Marines Malevolent had turned from their duties and joined with the forces of the child Emperor. With more and more chapters of the astartes coming under the banner of this child, those who stood against him found themselves branded traitor or worse. Minobu had accepted the black-mark for he knew in his soul that this was wrong. "There is only one Emperor and he resides on Terra" he intoned to himself in a hushed whisper, "Long may he reign."

He turned his weary eyes to those below as they went about their duties. The old battlebarge was a hive of activity with men and women running back and forth in the ordered chaos that only those who had experienced it could understand. They each bore reports over the various ship's system status and the rediness of the fleet for action. Squeals of binary could be heard over the sounds of the bridge crew as the ship's techpriest communed with the vessel's ancient machine spirit, making sure the ship was in working order and prepared for the task ahead of it.

When he had first heard that the Emperor had been reborn, Minobu had rejoiced. That mankind's saviour had been returned to them after his supposed death had been seen as a sign of his greatness. The resulting rebirth had created a tidal wave of faith that washed through the length and breadth of the Imperium but at the same time created a rift. This was especially true in the aftermath of the Astronomican going silent for the first time in millenia. There were those who doubted the veracity of the boy's claims, many of those being the astartes themselves. It hadn't taken much for the thousand chapters of space marines to begin taking sides. Some saw the return as a sign that they should turn from their heathen ways and accept the child as the god he seemed to be.

Terror had gripped humanity in it's cold, black grasp on that fell day when the Emperor's beacon went dark. With no means of safely plying the warp, ships had been forced to either fly blindly into the realm of daemons or limit their pace to that of their sublight engines. The Imperium that the Emperor had carved out with his blood and sweat and tears had fallen apart in the course of but a few days as anarchy niggled it's way in in the place of order. Riots on the scale of planet-wide warfare had errupted on many of the hive worlds that made up the Imperium. Having no way to produce food for themselves and facing the prospect of wide-spread starvation, those worlds had turned to insanity as the frightened masses scrabbled to gather what little provisions they could. Such acts were not limited to hive worlds though. The Imperium was a great behemoth and it depended on each planet to support itself.

It was in this insanity that the sparks of war were fanned into a blazing inferno. Chapter fell on chapter as each questioned the piety of their fellow brothers. Had it not been for the intervention of the Ultramarines, many believed that they would have seen another clash similar to the Horus Heresy. The chapter master of the Ultramarines brokered an unsteady peace between the two factions only to see it casually disregarded the following year when the false Emperor-child called for a crusade against the non-believers, preaching that Holy Terra should not be allowed to remain in the hands of the unfaithful.

"The Emperor still lives..."

That was all that could be made of the garbled, static-filled transmission that had surfaced over five years ago. Those four words had galvanized the astartes still unsure of the child-Emperor's claims. The Wolves of Fenris had been the first to react. Along with the Salamanders and the Blood Angels, they created what would later become the coalition. They openly called for the child-Emperor's death as the boy could certainly not be the true Emperor of mankind. On Terra's fortrees moon Luna, the first conclave was called and those loyal to the true Emperor had met and made preparations for the conflict surely to come. The Ultramarines and their successors along with the Imperial Fists were the first chapters to join the coalition against the child Emperor. The numbers swelled as more and more chapters repledged their fealty to the one, true Emperor.

It was during this time that the fleets of the child-Emperor made their move. From the warp came at first dozens of ships, then hundreds, then thousands and not all of them were Imperial. Ork, tau, Chaos, Eldar...all came to aid or destroy the Emperor and those loyal to him depending on their agenda. The war for Holy Terra had begun. And the battle still waged. It was never-ending carnage as those involved continued to send forces to sacrifice on the altar of war. Word had spread that Terra still burned. Of those who still defended it, there had been no news. Minobu ferverntly prayed that those warriors still held.

"And here I sit preparing for war because whispers and rumors" Minobu muttered, as he slammed his ceramite-encased fist into the arm of his command throne. The sound of their chapter master's deep, gravelly voice and the following boom startled many of the junior serfs who had never been in the presence of their lord before, much less the bridge of a warship making to go to war. Still, not all news was bad. Ships of the Redemptors and the Eagle Warriors had joined with the fleet, adding their might to the fleet. That brought their total numbers to a little over nine thousand astartes. Such a great number had not been seen for very long time.

His attention to the scrolling screen was broken by a polite cough. "Yes Admiral?" he asked.

"My lord, the false Emperor's fleet is moving towards the Eye."

Standing, Minobu turned to Admiral Minamoto Heida. "Prepare the fleet. We move to engage."

"HAI!" the admiral replied, slamming his fist into the golden aquila splayed across his amethyst-armored chest. His voice sounded throughout the bridge, filling the crew with renewed vigor.

"My lord! Khan Subedai requests the honor of leading the assualt." came a voice from ship's vox master.

"Tell him I would be honored follow in the wake of the White Scars."

Slowly, the ponderous warships of the coalition fleet made their way through the stars towards their objective.

"For the Emperor" Minobu called. The vox filled with replies as the ships joined in the battlecry.

"If you can't stun them with your tactical brilliance, baffle them with your superior grasp of BS."

"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAllFather View Post
Well, seeing as how you capitalize your characters, use proper grammar and punctuation, I'd say you qualify.

Last edited by Shogun_Nate; 11-08-08 at 06:41 PM.
post #33 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-08-08, 06:48 PM
Icarus Miniatures

imm0rtal reaper's Flag is: Wales

Awsome nate I must admit i really didn't like this Emperor is 12 business (No offense unknow soldier, the writing was still great) But i like what you've done with it

post #34 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-08-08, 07:00 PM
Boondock Shogun

Thanks for the kind words Immortal! I'd been working on something for this until I read what Unknown Soldier had posted up. The idea hit me so I scrapped the other one and wrote the above on the fly lol.

Good luck to whoever comes next!

Nate

"If you can't stun them with your tactical brilliance, baffle them with your superior grasp of BS."

Quote:
Well, seeing as how you capitalize your characters, use proper grammar and punctuation, I'd say you qualify.
post #35 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-08-08, 07:40 PM
Ste

Ste's Flag is: United Kingdom

i dont understand how hes been 'rebord' wouldnt hte UM and the IF of headed straight for the throne the SECOND something hapened and if the 'corpse' lol was gone an in its place a child then how could they not believe him? allthough tahts not whats ahappened unknown i would like t ohear some more info on how this 're born' had come about? otherwise BRILLIANTTTT WORK GUYS!!! :D
post #36 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-09-08, 03:22 AM
Unknown Soldier's Flag is: United Kingdom

Nate, what can I say? Absolutely brilliant writing my friend, I bow to your mighty prose and 'wicked skillz'. For something you've written on the fly, it is truly fantastic.

The idea for the 'Child-Emperor' came about after reading up on Sebastion Thor and the Thorians. When the original parts of the story said that it was 10,000 years in the future to the current timeline and that the Astronomicum had gone silent, it seemed to make sense. The original Emperor had finally passed over and in his place, the 'star child' had been born (just like in V - I miss that show).

Anyways, the Thorian priests had managed to smuggle out some of the Emperor's gene seed and started to grow a clone for his new 'emergence'. Unfortunately, they got the timing wrong and as the Emperor's spirit floated off towards the Warp, the Thorian priests were able to channel it into the boy's body.

Now thanks to Shogun Nate, the question is...or did they? Is the Child Emperor the re-incarnation of the God-Emperor? Or is this some sort of evil plot hatched by the Eccleisarchy to regain power? Is this really the Final Great Crusade to cleanse the galaxy or is there something more sinister going on? Could Tyranid Gene Stealers be involved? Or even the Chaos Gods? Why else would the Emperor fall silent and let Holy Terra burn? Some many questions and so few answers.

And once again, the Imperium is split and brother must fight brother, etc. Schisms are a big part of the 40k universe, so it seemed entirely apt. Who would you follow - the corpse on the throne or the child bearing his holy name? Would you let Holy Terra burn if it meant you were able to finally wipe out the traitor, the xenos and the heretic for good?

The Inquisition seems to believe that it's the child, but is that because they are desperate for a miracle / courageous leader after so many millenia of inactivity by the Emperor? Does it even matter if the Child Emperor is the real deal or not? As long as people believe, then that should be enough to conquer all.

I will let you lot decide and I might even chuck in some more narrative myself.
post #37 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-09-08, 04:06 AM
Boondock Shogun

Aye, it was a good plot twist you came up with. And when reading it, I too thought of the old background regarding Thor/Thorian Inquisitors and the star child(which is an old RT-era line from way back when heh heh heh). It really hit me out of left field and got me to thinking. What if... From there it just rumbled downhill at a break-neck pace lol.

As for the bowing and stuff, let's skip that heh heh heh. I thank you for the kind words though !

On reading the previous entries, I noticed that while they added to the story they also left quite a bit open for interpretation so future writers would have the option of filling in the holes or creating more of their own. After reading your post, I saw that in it was a chance to create even more confusion and questions. This would give future writers opportunity to add to what the two of us had touched on or to take it and in a totally new direction.

As for taking it further, you bring up many good ideas. Genestealer patriarchs are known to spread an aura of well being amongst hybrids and use their powers to sway the uninfected. Could this be the feeling the Imperial fleet felt as it began it's trip into the Eye? Or is it another idea you put forth, the touch of Chaos trying to either fool the last vestiges of humanity by lulling them into a false sense of security at having a new Emperor? Perhaps the child Emperor is taking the massed fleet into the eye as a sacrifice to the Chaos gods to give their mortal followers the power to finally conquer Terra and the Imperium? It could be any and all of these things or none at all heh heh heh.

That's what I like about this narrative. The freedom in it allows the writer take an idea and plant it in fertile soil. After that, see how it grows LOL.

Good luck and good gaming,

Nate

Quote:
post #38 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-09-08, 05:58 PM
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect

Commissar Ploss's Flag is: USA

i'm glad you guys figured out what we were trying to pull off here. the writing is superb, and the plotline is gaining intensity. i love it. i'm glad normtheunsavoury started this thread. i was hoping i wasn't to specific in my entry, cause i wanted to leave it open for others to fiddle with. the path did kinda stray with the entry from unknown soldier however with the sudden introduction of new characters, but i'm sure that the originals will make a resurgance.

cheers,

Commissar Ploss

The Founding Fields

post #39 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-10-08, 04:29 AM

CommissarHorn's Flag is: Russia

yay for the originals!

Great writing guys, now that we've kinda got an actuall story line going.

Alle's Klar? Herr Kommissar
post #40 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-11-08, 04:30 PM

aM | Gunslinger's Flag is: Wales

guys this is AWESOME!!! i have to congratulate you all but i especially liked it how nate put a brilliant twist into it??? is it a second heresy!!! who knows but its great cant wait for the next installment...

I have a rendezvous with death, At some disputed barricade, it may be that he shall take my hand, and lead me into his dark land, and close my eyes and quench my breath, I have a rendezvous with death, and i to my pledged word am true, i shall not fail that rendezvous...

Quote:
I won't remove the thread. This is an example of how Heresy members should not act toward other forum members, and seriously, don't pull the free speech bullshit. You're free to say what I allow you to say.
- jezlad

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Original Works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode