Renegades 11: The fall of a legion - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Original Works All user written fiction from any Games Workshop setting should be posted here. Please use the drop-downs to denote which setting your story belongs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-14-14, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Renegades 11: The fall of a legion

RENEGADES 11.

THE FALL OF A LEGION.

WHAT HAS GONE BEFORE.

The Night Lords were sent to retrieve the gene seed of the fallen legions, Corax discovered the last resting place of Charion, Primarch of the Sons of Hades which led him to the world of Sturmgarten, the planet of storms, home of the Primarch Adonnas and the Storm Riders. Coming into conflict with the Night Lords and the Primarch Night Haunter.

After a fight between them Corax was speared by the Night Haunters talons Mercy and Forgiveness, whilst Night Haunter lost his arm to the Ravens Claw. Meanwhile the Night Lords and Raven Guard encounter the spirits of the Storm Riders who kill the human record keeper and discover that they have been set up.

Upon return to Nostramo the Primarch Lorgar is waiting for them and to punish the Night Lords for their failure to do as the Emperor ordered, Nostramo is destroyed.

Meanwhile the Ultramarines try to hold onto Ultramar as the Emperors Children degrade more into the worship of Slaanesh and away from the Emperors perfection. With the defectors from the Emperors Children forming their own Legion The Celestial Lions, they swear to aid the Ultramarines against their former brothers...but at what cost when an unlikely alliance is formed, but is is out of revenge or another plan?

Perfections cry was written by VulkansNodasaurus.

Prologue

The Nightfall was silent, around the remains of the planet Nostramo all the Night Lord vessels had gathered and every single Night Lord had assembled in their ships great halls to hear the words of their father. It had been six weeks since the Word Bearers had destroyed their home world and their betrayal at the hands of the Emperor complete.

Not one warrior spoke, many of them had their thoughts with their dead worlds. Some still had family alive down there, ancestors who they had kept an eye on, possible future lines in their ranks to carry on their legacy. The deaths of the recruits and novitiates who would have made their mark with the Night Lords given time.

The Arbites who had been training on the violent streets of Nostramo Qunitus which would have made them the greatest law keepers of the galaxy, had the accursed daemon lovers not destroyed their world.

It was like a simmering rage that refused to die, no matter how long they lived the Night lords would remember what had been done to them. Under ordinary circumstances their ire would have been reserved for the Raven Guard, but not now, not any more, now it was reserved for the Emperor and the Word Bearers. They were a Legion alone and they alone would bring their wrath to anything the Emperor touched.

The screens that had been dark now lit up around the fleet as the pale and cold visage of the Dark King appeared on the screen.

“My sons, daughters listen to me and listen to me well. We have been betrayed, not only by the accursed weak willed Word Bearers and their coward of a father but, by the Emperor himself.”

The Primarch stood before a lectern, his silver arm, a gift from Ferrus glinted in the few lights that shone on the Primarch. His face however was shadowed, bowed as if struggling to contain his fury at what had happened. His mind stinging from the cries he had felt reach out to him as death rained upon his world, his perfect ordered world.

The betrayal he had expected, he had always expected that, but this...this was unforgivable in his eyes.

When he raised his head all that had been Konrad Curze was gone, whatever was left of him had shattered into a thousand pieces and scattered on the winds of his worlds destruction. Now and forever more he would be the Night Haunter and he would bring his vengeance to the Emperors alliance in all the full meaning of Fear.

“They have not yet seen the full wrath of the Night Lords, but they will, oh they will my beloved sons and daughters. We are all that is left of the Nostraman people and we will be their vengeance from beyond the grave. A million million souls cry out from the dust of our world and what king would I be if I did not heed their cry?”

His pale face raised so that his sons could see the full fury of his emotions. Fear radiated out from him in a giant wave. When he had woken from his medically induced coma, he had been told by Sevatarion what had happened. He had held himself in seclusion for a week or two, fighting with himself, his own inner demons finally taking control of his fractured mind, The Night Haunter had finally taken control of him. Konrad Curze truly was dead.

“Sahaal under my orders you and second company are to find a world suitable for our needs, one that, like Nostramo is night dominated and where we can rebuild. Ave Dominous Nox”

The Second Captain saluted his father and bowed his head. Swearing to find a world that would be suitable for them to colonise and control.

“First Company shall come with me, I have..plans afoot, the rest of you, start reaping the revenge due, and bring fear to the galaxy, fear and order. No longer my sons are we the extension of the Emperors Justice, he has failed us, he could not control us, so he took away that which made us, but he will learn, oh yes he will learn that what makes a Night Lord is not the aimless following of the Imperial Eagle, that which we have never worn; nor have we deigned to wear like those imbeciles of Fulgrims.

He stood straighter and folded his arms across his chest. Every man, woman and Astarte under his command, across his entire fleet moved to one knee, the humans keeping their gaze lowered less they loose their minds in the presence of a Primarch.

“Our talons shall forever be bloodied and it will drown our enemies. We have come for them”

The noise from the Night Lords seemed to echo out to the grave of their world. Those bastards would know what it meant to bring fear incarnate into their little power plays.

Sevatarion waited for his master to step down and bowed his head “I am sorry father, I should have tried to stop Lorgar”

“Yes, well that was not your fault my son, Lorgar is a Primarch, I should have not been so weak as to allow the Raven to incapacitate me. Lorgar will get his due, I promise you that, for now, have the Master take the Night Fall to Ultramar”

Sevatar arched an eyebrow “Forgive me Lord, are we throwing our lot in with the Ultramarines?”

“No, I am going to teach Fulgrim a lesson, one I should have taught him years ago, he betrayed me to the others when I thought he was my truest confidant. However, if in the course of that revenge I work with the Ultramarines, then...” Night Haunter shrugged “so be it”

“It shall be done”

The Primarch returned to his chambers, the sound of thousands of adoring voices, human and Astartes ringing in his ear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-14-14, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

i know i said November but the Prologue came to me last night. This is a sequel to Perfections Cry written by VulkansNodosaurs and my own Long Forgotten Son.....amaziing what coffee, sandwich and brain on hyperdrive will do......
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-15-14, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Julius Kaesoron was a Captain without a Legion, an exiled Chemosian, and being away from his fathers side was like an addict without his fix. His soul, like that of his brothers rebelled at first, they needed to be with their father, but, after several weeks away from the madness that the Legion had become, if it was even a Legion any more, after what he had seen weeks ago he was not even sure if that is what they were; Even Fulgrim appeared to be loosing interest in Legion business, his own needs and desires were becoming more paramount in his eyes than his fathers wishes.

He sat watching the Ultramarines finally bring back the last of their dead, those that had been found. None of the 21st Company had survived, and whilst it might have been a drop in the ocean to a Legion as vast as the Ultramarines, here and now, on this battlefield, in this part of the Imperium Secondus, it was a blow. The Gene seed had been recovered, but would have to go into storage, until they made it back to MaCragge, if they made it back.

For some reason the Emperors Children had withdrawn from the field of battle, but the Lion of Chemos knew they would be back. They were playing with their sport. He began to wonder where it all went wrong? When did all that he had been fighting for suddenly turn on its head, brother against brother, cousin against cousin. Father against son?

The Great Crusade had taken on a new meaning, where once it sought to illuminate mankind and her scattered dominion that there was no god or gods, that man stood above such petty beliefs, now it was akin to some old Terran Jihad, a religious war of such great proportion that eventually the Emperor was going to loose his sons to the very beings he once said did not exist.

Laern, that had been the turning point for his brothers and father. Although deep down he suspected that his fathers corruption had begun before the Laern war. He rubbed his brow, that blasted music and that sword, had he known then what he knew now he would have broken the damn thing in half, but Fulgrim liked it, and the more he wore it the more he became attached to it, even more than the sword given to him by Ferrus Mannus to seal their pact of brotherhood.

He went over everything in his mind, his memory recalling everything with clarity, at first he had wanted to embrace the new path, this was what the Emperor had wanted after all, but then, with the experiments that Bile was conducting on his brothers, under Fulgrims orders, he started to have his doubts. Once he had seen what was becoming of his brothers, how their baser instincts were becoming more prevalent, it had not taken long to convince some of his other brothers to join him in an escape.

He had wanted to get Demeter and Vairosean on board, but...well his fight with the 2nd Captain had proved that he had finally embraced his fathers vision. He had not seen Vairosean but he had no doubt that with Fulgrim ordering him to take the “gifts” that Bile offered, then he too was lost.

He had decisions to make, there had to be a hierarchy to the Celestial Lions and he would address them later today. For now he expunged the bond to his father and his brothers, he could not allow this to go on, so with a heavy heart he sent his message to the Warmaster, informing him that The Celestial Lions stood ready to join him and his campaign. With that message sent his defection and betrayal was complete.

Julius Kaesoron was a First Captain with a new purpose...no not a First Captain, a Chapter Master.

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-15-14, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Fulgrim sat in his sanctum, now so much different to what it had been and all but a shrine to the excesses that he was beginning to enjoy. Yet now he was angry, he let the anger flow through him, he knew there were weaker elements within his sons that needed purging but the Lion of Chemos? That had been a kick in the teeth to be certain, his favoured son had left his side. Where he did not know, all he knew was that Kaesoron and four companies had left his majestic self.

How dare they do such a thing? How dare they betray the one who had given them life, how dare they take the gifts his own genes had afforded them and use it against him!

THIS WAS NOT HOW IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE.

He calmed himself and poured some wine. Rising from his seat he stood before the window that afforded him a view of the planet below him. Drastic measures he suspected would have to be taken. There was an element of rot within the Emperors Children, one that he would have to clean out. He picked up his data padd and read it. Top of the list was Lucius, the newly restored 13th Captain had not been content with his punishment, and instead sought to undermine his superiors and Fulgrim himself. His time would come, and Eodolin, oh he had his eye on that one, he had got cocky, above his station and thought that he alone spoke with the authority of the Primarch in his absence.

No one spoke with Fulgrims authority unless he said they could. That had only been the former First Captain, his favoured and most beloved son. Now it fell onto Vespasians hands. Of course if he did what they had spoken about then he would soon know which of his sons favoured this god more than him. In order for the Emperors Children to reach perfection, there had to be no doubt that they saw him as Perfection, that the would do as he told them and not some warp being that had promised them everything but would deliever them nothing, not like he could.

Fulgrim had felt it for the last few weeks, a calling that spoke of godhood to him, a place among the pantheon that would rival even the god of pleasure and pain themselves. He deserved to be alongside his father in godhood, he was the perfection of his fathers gene science. He would take the Empire of the Ultramarines, he was certain of that, but in doing so he would root out the sons that would rather debase themselves than fight the perfect battles that he wanted them too.

Lorgar had warned him that he would need to do this at some point, that he would have to weed out the weak from the strong. But with all that had befallen them in the beginning he had not been prepared to take such a drastic action. An accident with his own gene seed had meant that the Emperors Children had not the greatest start life , they had to fight alongside Horus until they were up to strength, whilst that was a possibility of happening again, this time he was doing it for reasons of loyalty.

He wanted to know who he could trust and who he couldn't trust. Fulgrim wanted perfection, but he wanted it his way and no body else’s. His Legion and his Legion alone bore the Imperial Eagle, he was proud to bear it, and he had decided that not all of the Legion were worthy. He had watched what remained of the Ultramarines fleet leave the now ruined world of Carenn, and retreat back. He knew where they were heading, there was only one place they would be heading, for if he were Marius Gage it was where he would go to and indeed, it was his next course of action, once he had appointed new First.

“Calth” He rumbled “I will destroy them on Calth”

Fulgrim was still a son of the Emperor, Calth was one of the jewels in the crown of the Ultramar Empire. He knew it was where they did most of their recruiting and training for future sons of Gulliman, and he knew that if he struck a blow at Calth, one they would not recover from, then his pathway to MaCragge itself was clear.

He turned as Solomon Demeter walked in and moved to one knee. Fulgrim watched his former Second Captain, he had been told of what had happened to the vaunted Captain, he had been blessed and he had killed those in his company that had denied the path of the Legion, including his favoured Sergeant Caphen.

“You wanted to see me My Lord?”

There was something different about his voice, it seemed to be in two realms at once. Fulgrim was silent for a moment, recalling the moment he had stood side by side with Solomon looking into the Warp. Now he understood, he rested a huge gauntlet on his sons shoulder.

“Whom are you loyal too Solomon?” The Primarch quietly asked. His voice like honey over silk and he saw the intake of breath his son made with the contact and the sound of his fathers voice.

“The Phoenician above all things” Demeter replied, his head still bowed.

“Where is Vairosean? Has he truly left?”

“I do not know father, those of his company that followed him have gone too.”

“To Julius?”

“I do not know”

Fulgrim nodded and bid his son to rise “It is time Solomon, you will be my new First Captain, a position you have earnt my son, forget not what I have given you and place me above all others, together we will build a new Legion, even if it means destroying the old and like the mythical Phoenix, we will rise from the flames of destruction a new, powerful force.”

Solomon Demeter bowed his head, his hearts singing with the joy that his father had given him, he would not betray Fulgrim, Fulgrim was in his heart and his soul. Fulgrim had shown him the way to release his potential and he would never forget that.

“Good, take yourself to your Company and inform them they are now First Company and let us prepare”

“Your orders father?”

“Calth my son, we go to Calth and when you have taken the news of ascension to the Second, return to me, there are other things that we must discuss with Lord Commander Vespasian as well. I have given him the worlds we will take here so that he can build his own Empire in my name.”

Fulgrim clasped his hands behind his back. There was silence for a long while as he let the words sink into his new first.

“And when I find Julius, you my beloved Solomon will have the honour of killing him”

Solomon Demeter smiled evilly and walked out of the Phoenicians chambers.
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-15-14, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

In one of the sparring chambers aboard the MaCragges Honour, Julius Kaesoron waited for the remnants of his trusted brothers to come in. With their own internal fighting and company genocide, he had in effect about six thousand men. Not nearly enough, but it was a start. Beside him the Regent of Ultramar stood, more as a witness and advisor, if he needed it.

Both men had been awake most the night going over who was best for what position, and despite their differences in doctrine, it had felt good that the Lion of Chemos knew that he could trust the words of the mighty Chapter Master of the Ultramarines. Mistress Tanya of the Astropathic Choir stood ready to take the name and ranks of the Celestial Lions to the Choir, which would then be sent to every member of the Renegades hierarchy. Thus it would be that they would be entered as a Chapter, loyal to the Warmaster and his forces.

Last night they had learnt the fate of Nostramo, when Mistress Tanya explained why some of the Choir had suddenly convulsed and fitted then died,or had to be euthanasised Millions of minds reaching into the Warp then snuffed out in a violent deadly blow had caused warp storms that had cut off communications for a few days.

Both Astartes wondered if Curze had finally gone mad and destroyed his own world, after debating it, both had come to the conclusion that they doubted he would have, in his warped mind it was the world of Perfect Order, he was not about to destroy what he saw as a beacon to other worlds and a benchmark to how all Imperial worlds should be run.

Marius had explained that, in the absence of his father, or any other Primarch he would oversee the founding of the Celestial Lions into the official records. He also explained that, due to the losses he had suffered, including the entire 21st Company. He had sent a request for aid to the forces of the Warmaster and asked them to rendezvous at Calth.

At first Marius had scoffed at the idea that one of the most important worlds of the Ultramarines Empire being a target, but, when Julius had said that he would have attacked it, making sure that the Ultramarines were left in a position where they were unable to rebuild for a long time, in other words he would have rendered Calth a dead world, no matter how ferocious the Army stationed there was.

Now they stood looking over the ranks of the newely painted armour of celestial blue, with the Lion of Chemos rampant on their pauldrons, the Imperial Eagle no longer on their armour. They had already sworn their oaths to protect the Imperium from any and all enemies, within and without, and to follow the tenement of the Imperial Truth.

Now all that was left to do was choose a hierarchy. Julius Kaesoron was to be the Chapter Master all the authority of a Primarch to his chapter without the royal blood in his veins. First Captain was named as Krysander, his battle experience and honours made him more than eligible to be the First, but in recognition of his actions alongside his Captain over the centuries, Davars was named as Second Company Captain. Korander became the Third Company Captain, Astarune the Fourth Company Captain, Onurry was named as the Fifth Company Captain and Sergeant Wasnus was promoted as Sixth Company Captain, the company that, when there was time, would train the future of the fledgling Chapter.

There were no cheers, or gauntlet slapping, not like there would have been in the Heliopolis at such promotions. Gage noticed the melancholy that sat over the warriors of the newely inducted Celestial Lions. They were grieving, grieving that all they had known, all they had fought for as sons of the Emperor, as Fulgrims chosen from a world full of budding chosen, was gone.

Their old brothers had gone quite insane, quite mad and perverted. Ancient Rylanor was given guardianship over the Chapter, he would be called in times of great need, and he was to be the Chaplain, the one who would hear the confessions and watch to ensure the Chapter did not fall to the decadence of their former brothers.

“Captains, appoint your sergeants and their squads, let me know by days end who is who and prepare for battle on Calth. Marius...” Julius turned to the Regent of Ultramar, “Fulgrim plans to capture the young of his conquered enemies and train them to become his future generation. Whatever happens, the young on Calth must be protected.”

“That will go without saying” Marius mused “But why not Chemos?”

“He wants to ensure they are loyal to him and him alone” Julius turned his back for a moment and lowered his voice “He is going to purge the Legion and to rebuild it, he is going to want the equivalent of your Legion or even the Warmasters. Warriors who will do what he says and what he says alone.”

“That would make sense, but why not just purge them how the others have?”

“He wants it to be in the face of war, that way he will not be seen as the one who orchastrated it.”

Gage nodded a little and made a mental note to ensure the barracks of Calth were protected, no matter the cost. He looked back out at the Celestial Lions “Well the young that we rescued from Carenn belong to you. What will you do?”

“Place them in the care of Ancient Rylanor for now. Until we find a home-world and a place to keep them safe.” Julius remarked.

“We can help with that”

“I thankyou Marius, but it is our duty to find one. Until such a time though, we stand together to face our former brothers alongside our cousins.”

Marius Gage shook the outstretched hand and lowered his own voice “and let us hope that we get aid, or this new page will be over before it has begun.”

Last edited by gothik; 07-15-14 at 11:47 PM.
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-15-14, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

The Space Wolves howled in victory as the Orks lay dead around their feet. This was a battle that the Skalds would sing off for years to come, and at the head of their forces, with his two great Fenrisian Wolves by his side stood the mighty figure of their father, Leman Russ, the Wolf King, Prince of Fenris.

The Orcs had been plaguing the Eshara System for months, they had almost over run it, until the Space Wolves arrived. Suddenly this was not a case of an easy victory for the orcs, but a bloody battle, the Wolves that had died were already being taken back to their ships, their gene seed harvested, their bodies to be given back to Mother Fenris. The blood of Astarte and Orc littered the ground making it a swamp of red and green blood, that had merged into a sticky slick full of brains, intestines and other body parts.

The Wolves howled louder as their beloved father held high the Warrrrgh boss's head, looked at it for a moment then tossed it aside. The Liberation of Kasan XXI was complete. He left the Imperial Army’s command to deal with the populace, to assure them that all was now well and he ordered that 9th and 15th Companies remain to ensure that the Orks did not return,

When he returned to the Hrafnkel he was met by the master of Astopaths Tobias Echela who bowed low and had to almost quicken his steps just to keep up with the giant Primarch. “My lord, we have picked up … excuse me...a request from Chapter Master Marius Gage of the Ultramarines”

Russ stopped walking and looked down at the human. He was tall for a human but still only came upto his thigh. He was the master of the Astropathic choir and deserved the Primarchs attention. Russ waited for him to catch his breath, his two wolves straining to move where they could rest. He handed them to Bjorn the Fell-handed and stood waiting, his eyebrow arched.

“The Emperors Children have attacked the outer sphere of Ultramar. Chapter Master Gage along with defectors from the Emperors Children calling themselves the Celestial Lions, are falling back to Calth to defend their barracks and the gateway to MaCragge. The Chapter Master is calling for aid”

Russ nodded once and headed for the bridge “I will not ignore a call from my brothers noble legion, send a message back to the Chapter Master with my respects. Tell him that the Rout is on the way.”

“Yes My Lord”

“Brann” The Captain of the 7th Company turned and bowed his head “Head to the bridge, tell the Master to make speed to Calth, and have the others follow us, we are going to hunt Fulgrim” The Primarch added a growl to his voice and his teeth showed.

“By your command father”

Russ clenched his fists as he made his way to his sanctum. He had scores to settle with Angron but now, now he was going to deal with Fulgrim and for the Chapter Master of the Ultramarines to ask for aid, then things were dire indeed.

“Calth father?” Bjorn fell into step next to him, the two wolves walking ahead.

“You heard that then?” Bjorn nodded “It would seem that the Emperors Children are after Ultramar, and they need the Wolves to save them from big bad monsters”

Last edited by gothik; 07-17-14 at 12:17 AM.
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-15-14, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

He sat quietly watching the warp travel by. Every now and then he would feel something bump against the hull, but he had every confidence that whatever was trying to get in at the humans who aided in the running of his ship, wouldn't.

He was not sure if he would even be heard, or granted an audience, but something like this could not be given to another. He had to take the news to his grandfather himself. Of course there was no guarantee that he would be listened too. Somehow he did not believe that the Emperor would ever see Fulgrim as betraying him.

Once upon a time that would have been true. Fulgrim lived for his father, he desperately wanted to emulate his father in all things, that strive for perfection that always seemed out of reach. As perfect as Fulgrim was, he would never reach his fathers state of perfection.

No one ever could.

No one ever should.

Marius Vairosean was lost. He had seen the slow corruption that had taken hold of his best friend and he could only now imagine what tortures Solomon was going through, if any. One moment he was unsure and hating the changes in the Legion, the next, after spending time with their father he said he was at peace with it.

And Julius, his other friend, what would drive Julius and five companies to betray the Primarch? But not just the Primarch, the Emperor too. Kaesoron was betraying the Emperor. Vairosean had seen where the shuttle that took the former First Captain to the surface was heading, he had landed in the Ultramarines battle lines.

He moved his gaze from the warp and her shimmering colours to the crew listing that was on his desk. Three quarters of Third Company had come with him, the others had stayed with the Primarch. He hoped that he would be allowed to continue to serve his grandfather, He got up and looked at his armour.

He was not sure he could wear these colours any more, they would serve as a reminder to how far from the righteous path his brothers had fallen. Once he had seen the Emperor there would be no going back. He turned as Sergeant Terogil cleared his throat, he wore his robes, as all of the remaining members of the third had done, awaiting their Commanders order.

“Your orders Captain?”

Vairosean picked up his armour pain and began to change the colours of his armour “We are no longer Emperors Children” His voice cracked a little, he recovered quickly “We are the Emperors vengeance, we shall be known as the Emperors Blades”

“As you command Lord”

The former Third Captain of the Emperors Children said no more.
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-16-14, 03:18 PM

Over Two Meters Tall!'s Flag is: USA

Excellent start and I'm really looking forward to the SWs and ECs going toe to toe... although concerned about which 'unlikely ally' will spell doom for which 'legion'. Although killing a well developed character, be it an individual, group, or even legion is a good way to keep the thrill of the plot going.

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load, or if you have to unload, go to the White Zone. You'll love it... it's a way of life.

Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-16-14, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

i had thought about this one then Vulkans asked if someone wouldn't mind writing a sequesl to Perfections Cry so i offered and this is the sequel to Perfections Cry and Forgotten Sons...yeah i already know who it is which is unusual for me cause i never really know until i am at least halfway through
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-16-14, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

The Nightfall translated into the Ultramar system but stayed out of the reach of sensors. In his stratagem, alongside his beloved First Captain and other members of his inner circle, his favoured Sergeant Mikhail Trueze with them as tactical advisor, he looked at the destruction that had been wrought across the cluster of worlds known as the outer sphere.

“Reports we have intercepted have marked a change in the Emperors Children” Sheng cleared his throat “They are also calling for the head of the First Captain himself”

Sevatar glanced up “You think the Lion has defected?”

“From what we intercepted, he has done that with five other companies, although I doubt they are full companies” Sheng replied.

“Mikhail” Curze turned to his Sargent, a man he had almost raised as his son when he was still hunting the crime lords and politicians back on Nostramo “Take your squad down to Carenn and investigate for me, if there are any survivors ask for details. If there are any Emperors Children, bring them here for.....questioning.”

“By your command father” Trueze bowed his head.

“Permission to accompany Squad Trueze” Captain Uvensa, newly promoted to 3rd Company's Captaincy at the recommendation of the Prince of Crows himself.

“Reason?”

“I worked with the Emperors Children several decades ago My Liege, I know how they work and I might be of some aid to the Veteran Sergeant.”

Curze thought for a moment, Uvensa was a Nostraman, pale skinned, dark haired and albino eyed. He had a good battle record, but he was also a thinker, and Sevatarion liked the way the Captain thought things through, almost as if he could envision what was happening and work it out like he was a Nostraman Justicar working a crime scene. He looked for the evidence to coincide with his conclusions and he never stopped until he found what he was looking for, then and only then did he act.

So when Jago had come to him with his recommendation to replace Acerbus, Curze had agreed completely. For what he had planned, he needed those of his sons who could think like warriors as well as act like warriors and not just random violence. The Night Lords were all about fear but sometimes, one needed to use fear only in emergencies, sometimes they had to survey their hunting ground before they brought the justice of the Night Haunter to worlds that had none.

The Primarch dismissed the Kryoptera and the First Captain trotted up to where Mikhail was about to head to his squad.

“Mikhail, a moment”

“My Lord?” The Veteran Sergeant turned and bowed his head at the First Captains approach.

“Mikhail, you and I both hold an intimate knowledge of the Primarch.” Sevatar moved Mikhail into another room and shut the door “Speak plain my friend, how do you see him?”

Mikhail was silent for what seemed like ages, gathering his thoughts. His Squad had been part of 5th Company, but some time ago Curze had ordered that Squad Trueze be his and Sevatars own squad, command changed and Squad Trueze answered only to the Prince of Crows and the Dark King. In effect making them the most powerful six man squad in the Legion.

Over time a deep friendship had developed between the First Captain and the sombre dark haired Sergeant. So when Trueze spoke, Jago listened as he knew it was truth and not just what he wanted to hear.

“He is angry, more angry than I remember ever seeing him. He thought the Emperor curse his name had finally accepted him for what he was. Giving him position of authority as creator of the Arbites. But now...now he wants more than revenge; my fear Jago, is that the Night Haunter is the one in command now.”

Sevatar nodded and rubbed his jaw “I was thinking the same.” he rested a hand on the Sergeants shoulder “Look after the 3rd Captain and take care of yourselves down there, we have suffered enough grief the last few weeks, if the Primarch was to loose one he sees as his own son, then I dare not want to think what madness would be unleashed.”

“Same goes to you Jago, we are both close to the Primarch, for he knows we will never lead him false, but there are those, like Sahaal, who covert the First Captaincy.”

Sevatar let a dry smile cross his face “I know, as does the Primarch. Ave Dominous Nox”

“The Emperors Children will know, that we have come for them” Trueze bowed his head and left the First Captain to his thoughts.

Carenn was no longer the beautiful world it had been. As the Night Lords made their way through the war damaged streets, they saw bodies left in the streets where they fell, Ultramarine dead lay with Emperors Children dead as well as civilians. Battle Brother Senyena knelt beside a dead Emperors Child, his helm told him that this was Battle Brother Escanas, 19th Company.

It didn't bother him that the Astartes was dead, what bothered him was what had been done to him. Calling over the Squads Apothecary Resik he waited until the Astarte had finished analysing the body, then called the Captain and Sergeant over. He pointed at the bodies, drawing attention to the Emperors Child.

“What in the name of night happened to him?” Uvensa wondered, his voice sounding harsher than it was through his helm grill.

“I would have to conduct a full autopsy Brother Captain” Resik got to his feet “But from what I have seen, he has had alterations done to his gene seed that have resulted in the spinal growths from his mouth and the lizard like neck sheath.”

“Who would do such a thing?” Uvensa scowled, sickened by the abomination before him.

Of course he had heard rumours that some of the other Emperors Legions had gravitated towards various aspects of the warp beings. But this....this was something else entirely, this was breaking even the betrayer Emperors laws.

“I had heard that Fabius Bile was trying to unlock the secrets to the gene coding of the Primarch” Resik shook his head and stepped away from the body “I met him a few times, he was obsessed with unlocking the Emperors secrets and the secrets of a Primarchs creation”

“Do you think he has found it?” Trueze asked staring in disgust at the dead Escanas.

He did have spines coming from his mouth, and his neck was indeed like a lizards sheath, there were scales alongside his neck and throat. As the Sergeants gaze moved over the dead, stinking corpse, he saw that the hands were changing too, or had been changing into lizard hands. It looked like he had ripped out the throat of the Ultramarine who was identified as Battle Brother Instansius of the 21st Company. That might not have killed him but the tearing at the chest and what remained of his hearts certainly did.

“I will not know unless I have your permission to take the body back to the Nightfall and run tests.”

Uvensa glanced at the Sergeant, “I think that would be a good idea Trueze, the Primarch will want to know what has been going on.”

“Yes Captain, he will. Very well Jastan, arrange for the body to be taken back to the Nightfall, but give us your opinion, even if it is a guess.”

“Then yes, I think Bile has found a way to subvert the Astarte gene-seed.”

“Are you sure that it was him? Could it not have been meddling with the creatures of the warp?” The Captain asked.

“I am certain Brother Captain, every Apothecary in the Legions Astartes all know what drives Fabius Bile and how he subverts medical science to get what he want. Yes we are warriors and fight alongside our brothers on the field, but we are also medics and such things as trying to unlock the gene-coded secrets of the Primarchs, or changing how the Astartes gene-seed works is against all we have avowed.”

Uvensa nodded and motioned with his head “Move on”

The Squad moved past the bodies, Resik arranging a pick up of the Emperors Childs body. He ignored the dead Ultramarine, let the sons of Gulliman collect their own dead. They headed towards the main centre of the city and it was here that the destruction was truly noticeable. A dog barked in the distance, followed by a whining bark, looking for a master or mistress that would never answer, it would either starve or go feral.

It surprised Trueze, Gulliman never liked hive worlds. They were ugly he had said, a breeding centre for all manners of criminals and under-hive vermin, like he would know, he should have spent his childhood on Nostramo, he would have known then what under-hive vermin and criminals were like.

Thinking of his dead home world made his heart ache, like all his brothers, the death of Nostramo had cut a piece away from themselves. Something that could never be retrieved. He, like his father and his brothers no longer cared what the Emperor wanted, this was revenge and it would be done the way that the Night Lords always did. With great pain and trauma to those concerned.

He cared little for the dead Ultramarines, they had always been held up as a Legion to be lauded, so perfect in their construction and doctrine. Everything was strict on how they did things and they had been one of the Emperors favourite Legions. As much as he disliked the sons of Gulliman, he detested the Emperors Children more.

More so when Fulgrim tricked their father into revealing his then secret, about his debilitating precognition, Curze had trusted Fulgrim at that point, but when the Phoenician then went and told the other Primarchs it all changed. Trueze had seen the hurt his father felt, even if he did not show it. Those belladonnas thought they were something special as they and they were alone were allowed to bear the Imperial Eagle on their chests.

Trueze stopped as something dropped onto his boots. Then again, looking closer he realised it was blood and looking up even he stepped back. Hanging above him, three spikes of a ruined buildings flooring erupting through his chest, neck and groin was the dead body of Erikon Gaius 21st Company Captain of the Second Chapter of the XIII Legion Astartes.

For the moment words failed him, the expression on the dead Captains face would remain with him for the rest of his life.

++Take him down++ He ordered and for the first time, he began to wonder just what the Emperors Children were becoming

Last edited by gothik; 07-17-14 at 12:17 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Original Works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode