Renegades 9: Flesh is Weak - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Original Works All user written fiction from any Games Workshop setting should be posted here. Please use the drop-downs to denote which setting your story belongs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-16-13, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

son of azurman's Flag is: Scotland

Default Renegades 9: Flesh is Weak

civil war is upon us all.
The glorious Emperor of mankind has been corrupted and turned by the dark forces of the immaterial realm known as the warp. By his side stand Lorgar of the word bearers, Vulkan of the salamanders, the lion of the dark angels, Rogal Dorn of the imperial fists, Konrad of the night lords, Fulgrim of the emperors children, Angron of the world eaters and Ferrus Manus of the iron hands. These demi-gods and their immortal father are bringing the imperium into a new age one that will change the fate of the galaxy forever.

Ferrus Manus and his sons of the iron hands have always had close ties with the cult mechanicus of mars always believing that flesh brings weakness and to be truly strong and perfect one must live in harmony with the omnissiah. After the priests of mars refused to live in the emperors new ideals it was up to the gorgon to make them accept them. Now with mars in his hand and his favoured son dead at his feet what lies in store for the children of medusa find out in Renegades 9 Flesh is weak.

Renegades is an anthology started by our very own Gothic, the series takes place at the end of the great crusade and the beginning of the Horus Heresy. This alternate heresy is a great undertaking and can be continued by any one. All you need to join is ask permission from Gothic and to not clash with other tales from the series.

Renegades 1:alternate heresy
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=90862

Renegades 2:the flames of belief
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=98148

Renegades 3:The fate of prospero
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=106279

Renegades 4:the emperors will
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=110117

Renegades 5:perfection's cry
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=116059

Renegades 6:bright swords
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=116893

Renegades 7:when death calls
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=117991

Renegades 8:foundations in scarlet
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=122265

Renegade Anthologies (contains spoilers so only read if already gone over the stories above)
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=106337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
If an immovable object is struck by an unstoppable force, how many potatoes will fit in the jelly mould?
Renegades 9:flesh is weak
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=122389

Eldrad Ulthran:
"He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it."

inquisitor czevak:
"Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-16-13, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Prologue

The silence never stayed, constantly the hum of the engines and the occasional distant sound of servitors maintaining the working parts of the void ship echoed through the vessel. A small chamber lay at the very deepest parts of the Sanguis Ferrum. A strike cruiser of the iron hands fleet in orbit around the red planet. At the centre of the room knelt a lone astartus. The pitch black of his V plate reflected no light and gave off no sign of life except for the red glow from its eye sockets. Still as a statue the warrior stayed like the unfortunate fate of the mythical medusa’s victims.

All around the walls no lights shone and no decorations hung only the metal pipes and beams showed across the rooms boundaries for they were iron hands and needed no finery.

“Nephew, what news do you bring?” Another figure appeared in the room at the far wall.

“My lord, father Ferrus has taken control of Mars and finished the clean up two days ago.” The astartus still knelt and remained still but a voice came over his helmet’s vocal transmitter.

“This is good, however i could have learned of this from Ferrus himself.What news do you bring?” Repeated the giant figure.

“Father is troubled, his human emotions are kicking in.”

“what do you mean, you state weakness in the gorgon.”

“despair my lord, First captain Santar agreed not with the emperor’s vision and attempted to defy our father. He had no choice but to silence him before he could cause harm, even as we speak the first company are searching the legion for signs of insurrection.” Explained the figure.

“I see, and this news is playing havoc on my brother’s mind. very well.” the giant primarch turned from the iron hand and started walking. “Ulrach keep me updated and remember, for the emperor and the glory of chaos.” The giant disappeared evaporating into thin air as the hologram deactivated. The computer on the far side of the chamber powered down.

“For the glory of chaos.” Muttered Ulrach as the astartus’s head rose to face the wall were the primarch had been.

“chaos protects.”

Quote:
If an immovable object is struck by an unstoppable force, how many potatoes will fit in the jelly mould?

Eldrad Ulthran:
"He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it."

inquisitor czevak:
"Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know."
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-16-13, 03:09 PM

gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom

good start and looking foward to the rest

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-13, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

to get more into the mind set of Ferrus ive been reading Fulgrim, once im done you can expect an update which hopefully wont be long after i come back from france in a weeks time.

Quote:

Eldrad Ulthran:

inquisitor czevak:
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-31-13, 03:53 PM

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

Quote:
Originally Posted by son of azurman View Post
Prologue

The silence never stayed, constantly the hum of the engines and the occasional distant sound of servitors maintaining the working parts of the void ship echoed through the vessel. A small chamber lay at the very deepest parts of the Sanguis Ferrum. A strike cruiser of the Iron Hands fleet in orbit around the red planet. At the center of the room knelt a lone Astarte. The pitch black of his V plate reflected no light and gave off no sign of life except for the red glow from its eye sockets. Still as a statue the warrior stayed like the unfortunate fate of the mythical Medusa’s victims.

All around the walls no lights shone and no decorations hung only the metal pipes and beams showed across the rooms boundaries for they were Iron Hands and needed no finery.

“Nephew, what news do you bring?” Another figure appeared in the room at the far wall.

“My lord, father Ferrus has taken control of Mars and finished the clean up two days ago.” The Astarte still knelt and remained still but a voice came over his helmet’s vocal transmitter.

“This is good, however I could have learned of this from Ferrus himself.What news do you bring?” Repeated the giant figure.

“Father is troubled, his human emotions are kicking in.”

What do you mean, you state weakness in the Gorgon.”

Despair my lord, First captain Santar agreed not with the Emperor’s vision and attempted to defy our father. He had no choice but to silence him before he could cause harm, even as we speak the first company are searching the legion for signs of insurrection.” Explained the figure.

“I see, and this news is playing havoc on my brother’s mind. very well.” the giant primarch turned from the Iron Hand and started walking. “Ulrach keep me updated and remember, for the Emperor and the glory of Chaos.” The giant disappeared evaporating into thin air as the hologram deactivated. The computer on the far side of the chamber powered down.

“For the glory of Chaos.” Muttered Ulrach as the Astarte’s head rose to face the wall were the primarch had been.

Chaos protects.”
I am really looking forward to seeing how this develops Just thought I'd say that there were a few minor grammatical problems (mainly the non-capitalization of nouns like Emperor and Chaos). Also, I believe the plural is Astartes and the singular is Astarte, not Astartus.

Other than that, it looks promising. I look forward to more
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-01-13, 11:05 AM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
I believe the plural is Astartes and the singular is Astarte, not Astartus.
In context Astartes is an abbreviation of Adeptus Astartes, so would be the same for either.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-01-13, 12:14 PM

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

Hmm...some extra research seems to show that "Adeptus Astartes" roughly translates as "Expert/Adept of the Stars" so I suppose whether it's singular or plural wouldn't matter.

But then, I know just about nothing about Latin/Pseudo-Latin conjugation
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-22-14, 11:06 PM

With son of azurman gone, and with gothik's permission, I will be taking over this story.

IT IS A PERIOD OF FAILING LIGHT. WARMASTER HORUS LUPERCAL OBSERVES DARK CHANGES IN THE IMPERIUM OF MAN HE SERVES.

FOR THE NIGH-IMMORTAL EMPEROR OF MANKIND HAS STRUCK A GRIM BARGAIN WITH THE FOUR CHAOS GODS, ELDRITCH NIGHTMARES THIRSTING FOR HUMAN SUFFERING. THE SPACE MARINES, ONCE THE IMPERIUM’S FINEST SOLDIERS, ARE TURNING INTO MONSTERS. FERRUS MANUS, LORD OF THE IRON HANDS AND RECONQUEROR OF MARS, RETAINS HIS UNSHAKEABLE LOYALTY TO THE EMPEROR, BUT IS DESCENDING TOWARDS MADNESS. MARS ITSELF IS ONCE MORE IN REBELLION, AFLAME WITH WAR. A SINGLE WANDERER ARRIVES ON THE RED PLANET, INTENDING TO CHANGE EVERYTHING. ALL ROADS LEAD TO THE DRAGON.

A NEW PATH FOR THE GALAXY IS OPEN, PAVED WITH THE ASHES OF WORLDS. THE AGE OF DEBATE AND ENLIGHTENMENT IS OVER, BUT THE DREAM OF EMPIRE REMAINS.

ONLY NOW, IT IS A BLACK DREAM.

Renegades Saga contributions
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...tions-cry.html)
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...s-scarlet.html)
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...lesh-weak.html)
The Emperor has turned to Chaos. The dream of the Imperium has become a nightmare. But Horus and his Coalition stand against the dark, here at the end of time.

Lorgar's Betrayal
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...te-heresy.html)
What was broken has been mended. And what was burned away can never be reforged.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-23-14, 03:50 PM

CHAPTER ONE
One Terran month later

The victory had lasted a week.

Ferrus Manus had wanted to bring Mars into the Imperium intact, and eventually decided to offer amnesty in exchange for a message swearing loyalty. All of Mars had sworn it, and with his father calling for new conquests, many of the Iron Hands were sent away. Ferrus himself stayed on Mars, cleaning up the sole forge that had refused to admit defeat.

Then, he had walked into Magos Ahotep’s forge, which had surrendered, and had faced weaponry strong enough to drive away even a Primarch.

War spread across the Red Planet once more. And though the Legion was fighting it well enough, it was doing so without First Captain Gabriel Santar. Santar, whom Ferrus Manus had killed. Santar, the only one besides the Primarch and Semyon the Guardian to have known half the truth about the Dragon of Mars (and only the Guardian knew the other half), who – despite that – had nearly ventured into its chamber, for reasons unknown. He had been driven mad by dreams. Did dragons dream?

Did gorgons? Ferrus, at least, did not. He did not see lies at night, nor did he bear hopes for the future. Much of his Legion was descending, falling into Lorgar’s and the Gods’ waiting arms. Surrendering, even in victory. Some others were murmuring about the Imperium’s new direction in the same way that Santar had, at the end. Many simply fought the Martian War, or wars elsewhere, and blotted out the progress they once lived for. Worst of all, Ferrus wasn’t sure which was which. He had lost his Legion, as well as Mars and Santar.

Most of the new Martian rebels were in a loose alliance calling itself the Order of the Dragon. Not all – Koriel Zeth of the Magma City was the primary exception, and there were a number of others. Even the rebel Fabricator Locum, Kane himself, had not officially committed to the Order. What worried Ferrus most was that the object of their worship was, indeed, the Dragon of Mars, a being – so Semyon had described it to him and Santar – of hunger and devastation.

Semyon had that said he despised Chaos, but that it was not his war. And indeed, the Iron Hands still controlled Noctis Labyrinthus. That was not the problem.

The problem was what came after.

The Iron Hands would win the war on Mars, though with heavy losses, and raze every forge of this second rebellion to the ground. Afterwards, they would fight, perhaps even against their cousins – and, at this rate, their brothers. Mars would be placed under a loyal tech-priest’s administration, and be rebuilt, though it would of course never be the same. It would take more than the tech-priests he had to lead the rebirth of Mars. Still, they could return industry, if not progress, to the second heart of the Imperium: it would produce enough, with the loyal Forge Worlds, to supply the war effort. And he would return to the field of battle, if he could.

But Santar, and Lorgar, and the state of his Legion, and the Gods of Chaos, and his general despair at what he had done and what the Imperium was becoming – those were powerful poisons, strong enough to keep him from successfully warring. And so he sat in the strategium, broken (he was well-aware of that), defeated, and thinking about things other than the strategy for Mars.

He gazed at his iron hands – the body part, not the Legion – which even he did not fully understand. Gained by drowning a wyrm, Asirnoth, in lava. And his Legion, in the days when it was loyal (in the days when it had reason to be loyal), chose to replace their left hands with bionics. The custom remained, of course; he didn’t even know whether Medusa was aware of Santar’s death and Ferrus’ seclusion. But the meaning behind the concept – a familial bond, expressed in a somewhat absurd way – had gone.

And, of course, his plans to cleanse the Iron Hands of metal were fading too. He believed, had always believed, that humans must triumph through their own strength. That was why he had not asked for help, now, though it could’ve been given without shame. And that was why he had grown to despise the prevalence of bionics in his Legion. Flesh was weak, but weakness was real. And strength, ultimately, came from flesh and weapon – not the fusion of the two.

It was easier for him to say that; he was a Primarch, with some of the strongest flesh in the Imperium. But that didn’t make it false.

But the Iron Hands had embraced the way of the tech-priest, and he could hardly deny that it was an advantage in war. So he, uncharacteristically for himself, had waited; and now it was too late, at Crusade’s end.

Because there was rancor between the Primarchs, and very possibly civil war, an eventuality he preferred not to think about. But if Angron had been sent to Magnus’ homeworld of Prospero, and was not recalled, then the fate of the galaxy hinged on whether anyone would back the Cyclops. And, truth be told, though Ferrus had little love for Magnus, he had less for Angron; and of all the Primarchs, only Russ and Mortarion might have disagreed with him on this.

The Emperor had erred, perhaps, in only initially revealing his plans to seven of them. But that level of strategy required information he had no idea about. From what he did know, of course, his father’s actions seemed borderline insane; and though he would never betray the Emperor, he did not exclude the possibility that things were not going according to his plans. One way or another, the board was almost certainly already set, and play had definitely already begun. As Mars showed.

Ferrus absentmindedly moved Orth’s tank spearhead, wondering at why the position in the south was so terrible. They had a better-than-even chance of having to retreat from Noachia entirely. If the retreat happened, the war would last another three years; if not, only another year and a half.

Though by that time, the Emperor would insist on reinforcements. Yet another failure to note, yet another point when weakness had defeated him.

“There is no strength without weakness,” he repeated to himself, but the words rang hollow.

“Primarch?” It was Vedumar, his Equerry and Captain of the Twenty-Third Clan-Company. The Space Marine stood behind an iron screen, invisible; Ferrus had not seen another sapient being since Mars caught on fire the second time. He could not bear to, this deep in despair.

“Yes?”

“Cybus is requesting an audience again.” Vermanus Cybus wanted leadership of the Avernii Clan-Company, the fabled Morlocks, in the wake of Santar’s death.

“I’m not giving him the Avernii.”

“I’ve told him that already,” Vedumar said, “but he asks that you appoint someone. The First Clan-Company is in a state of total disorder.”

Ferrus paused. “Fine. Numen, Desaan, Urgdosev, and two others from the Morlocks, to be chosen by the Morlocks themselves. Let them form an Avernii Council, and command together somehow. One cycle every Medusan year, perhaps.”

“My lord, that is… highly irregular. When should this order be executed?”

“I know full well it’s irregular!” Ferrus bellowed. “Execute it as soon as the Morlocks give up on my naming someone to Santar’s spot. If I change my mind later, the Morlocks can adjust. But I’ve told you before, Vedumar, and I’ll tell you again – Santar was the last First Captain, and there won’t be another while I command this Legion!”

“I am aware of that, my lord,” Vedumar said. “The Morlocks are another matter.”

Ferrus mumbled a dismissal, and Vedumar departed.

That was done. Perhaps Vedumar would not bother him for a while, now that Ferrus had stated his decision. Vedumar, at least, knew the moods of his Primarch. And Ferrus Manus’ mood right now was that of nightfall, even more than was recently standard.

His will was iron, but iron rusted. And right now, it was stuck in acidic rain. Santar. It had all peaked with Santar. But it had begun far, far earlier. It had begun before he had come to Mars, before his father had gathered together seven Primarchs; it had begun not with his weakness, though it had come to just that. It had begun with the weakness of the Imperium.

Chaos, some called the pantheon that was the new Imperial Truth. In truth, no matter what the ancient names involved were, chaos was what they were giving everything to prevent. Chaos was what had been growing, before the Emperor had embraced the doctrine of any means necessary. Sedition, really; even the remembrancers bordered on it. There was a desire to decrease the power of the military, which Ferrus ultimately understood. But beyond that, the old Imperial Truth had been questioned, and in the end had been too weak to stand up to the questioning that it had, itself, encouraged.

The Imperium’s foundation, he saw now, had suffered a partial collapse. And did that not mean it had been weak all along?

Had there been any point in anything he had done?

He had no doubt the Emperor’s new path was right, though he did not exclude the opposite possibility entirely. But if he had wasted two hundred years of his life, and had, if anything, hurt humanity in them –

He had restarted the Crusade full of fire, a fire of desire for atonement, and had almost saved Mars. His first great mistake had been to fail there. His second, Santar’s fate. His third, the disastrous track of the Martian War. And his fourth, in truth, had been secluding himself and thereby losing what was left of his Legion.

Mars and the Legion, Mars and the Legion. Bound together, perhaps forever, by what Ferrus Manus had initially assumed was merely luck and a love for robotics. Had it in fact been the chains of the Dragon’s scales?

He did not know, could not be certain. Not of how much of his Legion’s path had been determined by dark fate, and not of anything else. All he knew was that any such fate was indeed dark.

Lorgar’s star was rising. Ferrus Manus was well-aware of that much. And Lorgar was not the brother that Ferrus wanted to see as second-in-command of the Imperium. Not that Ferrus Manus had anything against Aurelian as a person, or complained about his relative lack of fighting skill, or doubted the Urizen’s knowledge of the Warp; but the Word Bearers’ Primarch was more focused on bowing to the Warp than ruling it. His father was more in the right, declaring himself and the Primarchs gods. But how could a god be a pope?

They couldn’t, of course. Lorgar did not want apotheosis. Lorgar preferred to be a servant, and Father did not need a servant as second-in-command. Malcador had been more than a servant. He wondered where the Sigillite was now. Or Horus, for that matter.

His thoughts tumbled like an endless house of cards, touching brothers and enemies, daemons and xenos, iron and mind. Horus was at war, winning true victories. His own victory had lasted a week. The Red Planet was once more aflame with war, and it was not alone.

Ferrus Manus, Primarch of the Iron Hands, sat unmoving in his strategium, his eyes directed into the past.

Renegades Saga contributions
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...tions-cry.html)
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...s-scarlet.html)
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...lesh-weak.html)
The Emperor has turned to Chaos. The dream of the Imperium has become a nightmare. But Horus and his Coalition stand against the dark, here at the end of time.

Lorgar's Betrayal
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...te-heresy.html)
What was broken has been mended. And what was burned away can never be reforged.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-23-14, 11:07 PM

gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom

great start....think i might get to know Ferrus a little better then before here.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Original Works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode