Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories 13-02: Grace - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Original Works All user written fiction from any Games Workshop setting should be posted here. Please use the drop-downs to denote which setting your story belongs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-13, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Boc
Like a Bawss

Boc's Flag is: USA

Default Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories 13-02: Grace

Welcome to the year's second

For those of you that are unfamiliar with HOES, here's how it works:

Each month, there will be a thread posted in the Original Works forum for that month's HOES competition. For those of you interested in entering, read the entry requirements, write a story that fits the chosen theme and post it as a reply to the competition thread by the deadline given. Each and every member of Heresy Online is more than welcome to compete, whether your entry is your first post or your thousandth. We welcome everyone to join the family of the Fan Fiction Forum.

Once the deadline has passed, a separate voting thread will be posted, where the readers and writers can post their votes for the top three stories. Points will be awarded (3 points for 1st, 2 for 2nd, and 1 for 3rd) for each vote cast, totalled at the closure of the voting window, and a winner will be announced. The winner will have his/her story added to the Winning HOES thread and be awarded the Lexicanum's Crest award for Fiction excellence!

Theme

The idea with the theme is that it should serve as the inspiration for your stories rather than a constraint. While creative thinking is most certainly encouraged, the theme should still be relevant to your finished story. The chosen theme can be applied within the WH40K, WHF, HH, and even your own completely original works (though keep in mind, this IS a Warhammer forum) but there will be no bias as to which setting is used for your story.

As far as the theme goes, please feel free with future competitions to contact me with your ideas/proposals, especially given that my creative juices may flow a bit differently than yours. All I ask is that you PM me your ideas rather than posting them into the official competition entry/voting threads to keep posts there relevant to the current competition.

Word Count

The official word count for this competition will be 1,000 words. There will be a 10% allowance in this limit, essentially giving you a 900-1,100 word range with which to tell your tale. This is non-negotiable. This is an Expeditious Story competition, not an Epic Story nor an Infinitesimal Story competition. If you are going to go over or under the 900-1,100 word limit, you need to rework your story. It is not fair to the other entrants if one does not abide by the rules. If you cannot, feel free to PM me with what you have and I'll give suggestions or ideas as to how to broaden or shorten your story.

Each entry must have a word count posted with it. Expect a reasonably cordial PM from me (and likely some responses in the competition thread) if you fail to adhere to this rule. The word count can be annotated either at the beginning or ending of your story, and does not need to include your title.

Without further ado...

The theme for this month's competition is:

Grace

Entries should be posted in this thread, along with any comments that the readers may want to give (and comments on stories are certainly encouraged in both the competition and voting threads!) 40K, 30K, WHF, and original universes are all permitted (please note, this excludes topics such as Halo, Star Wars, Forgotten Realms, or any other non-original and non-Warhammer settings). Keep in mind, comments are more than welcome! If you catch grammar or spelling errors, the writers are all more than free to edit their piece up until the close of the competition, and that final work will be the one considered for voting. Sharing your thoughts with the writers as they come up with their works is a great way to help us, as a FanFiction community, grow as a whole.

The deadline for entries is Midnight US Eastern Standard Time
(-5.00 hours for you UK folks)Friday, February 22, 2013. Voting will be held from 23 - 28 February. Remember, getting your story submitted on February 2nd will be just as considered by others as one submitted on February 22nd! Take as much time as you need to work on your piece!

Additional Incentive
If simply being victorious over your comrades is not enough to possess you to write a story, there will be rep rewards granted to those that participate in the HOES Challenge.

Participation - 1 reputation points, everyone will receive this
3rd place - 2 reputation points
2nd place - 3 reputation points
1st place - 4 reputation points

If you have any questions, feel free to either PM me or ask in this thread.

Without further nonsense from me, let the writing begin!

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.

Last edited by Boc; 02-24-13 at 06:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-13, 07:25 PM

son of azurman's Flag is: Scotland

for grace can you give me an example,do you mean like how the eldar fight with grace or how the chaos space marines have fallen from grace?i want to enter but i cant think of something for it so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
If an immovable object is struck by an unstoppable force, how many potatoes will fit in the jelly mould?
Renegades 9:flesh is weak
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=122389

Eldrad Ulthran:
"He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it."

inquisitor czevak:
"Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know."
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-13, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Boc
Like a Bawss

Quote:
Originally Posted by son of azurman View Post
for grace can you give me an example,do you mean like how the eldar fight with grace or how the chaos space marines have fallen from grace?i want to enter but i cant think of something for it so far.
However you want to use it, mate. Either or those ideas are perfectly good, the theme is used however you want to interpret it.

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-13, 08:45 PM

oh ok thanks

Quote:
If an immovable object is struck by an unstoppable force, how many potatoes will fit in the jelly mould?

Eldrad Ulthran:
"He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it."

inquisitor czevak:
"Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know."
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-13, 01:19 PM
Banned

Romero's Own's Flag is: Scotland

Default Flames from Heaven

Flames from Heaven - 907 words

It is always with me.

I feel it like a blind man feels the sun on his face - as a pressure, unseen but always felt: a force just behind the eyes but there all the time.

I lie on the cold concrete of my bed, listening to the subdued hum of the watch-station's generators and the gentle click of the station's recorders as they monitor and catalogue some changing observation.

What is my life?

Still it lingers in the corners of my mind, like a cobweb just out of reach: a niggling presence, like a driving splinter in my mind, something I cannot ignore:

The Rage; The Thirst.

I fight these things in the quiet when the tumult of battle is stilled; when the last enemy falls, my battle continues. I hold damnation in the palm of my hand – and I must clench it tight, lest it consume me and all I believe.

May the Emperor guide me in these darkened watches of the night. May I remain within his grace for eternity.

My honour is my life.

I cannot sleep.

I sit up, my feet moving to rest on the cold, metal decking. In the corner of my cell stands a low wooden table, surmounted by an ebony statue of the Emperor and fallen Sanguinius. A small candle stub remains beside; I light it, and its feeble luminance shines brightly in the suffocating darkness.

What is my fate?

The gentle glow of the candle shades the features of our Primarch and our Emperor. Shadowy tears well from their ebony eyes.

I feel myself slipping away into blackness, my eyes telling me of the peril which threatens my soul – it is almost tangible and I nearly fall.

My duty is my fate.

Few of my chapter serve in these desolate regions. Commander Mordigael has been stationed in this sector for many years, but he is far away at Erioch, and I am here: a small station with little more room than is necessary for the maintenance of a lone Astartes and his equipment. Nothing more.

My lips move as I ask for guidance, for strength, but there is no surcease to my torment. No answer to my questions, only silence.

I step outside my cell and walk the cramped and acrid spaces of the station, grown so much larger by the blackness, shadows pressing in from all sides.

What is my fear?

Chaplain Andreus often told me, when I came to him disturbed by the Rage, that to experience the Blackness was a divine gift: a chance to experience the sublime presence of our beloved Primarch. Not something to be desired, nor wished for, but rather something to be understood and accepted as a part of the legacy left to us.

A legacy I must bear.

I wonder if I am strong enough.

My fear is to fail.

The arming room: my armour stands here, painted black, with the sigil of the Deathwatch engraved in silver and gold upon its left pauldron. My chapter's blood-red sigil remains on the opposite shoulder, in order – so the tech-priests tell me – to avoid angering the armour’s machine spirit. I wonder if the machine spirit feels as I do.

I am alone in the night. Will I ever return to see my home again? My brothers? And if I do, will I still be one of them?

Starlight shines through the small porthole which pierces the armoured hull of the watch-station: somewhere out there is Baal, my home – my brothers – lost in a sea of infinity and space.

The awful weight of the emptiness presses down upon my shoulders.

What is my reward?

Lights blaze to life, and the watch-station's voice begins to blare:

DEFENCE PROTOCOL ACTIVATED: DISTRESS SIGNAL DETECTED

TRANSMISSION REPLAYED

The pale green light of the pict-screen displays the transmission: a flash priority alert to Sector Command, originating from the planet far below:

The Great Devourer has come.

There is no room for servitors or chapter-serfs on my watch-station; I arm myself – it is a tonic for the soul.

My salvation is my reward.

I strap on my weapons; they are already loaded and ready. The magnetic holster on my thigh-plate clicks dully as it latches onto my bolter. I examine my chainsword carefully, looking for any pits or blunt edges; there are none. There never are.

The thick, heavy door leading to the drop chamber has been retracted by the station, and through it I see the heavily-padded interior of the drop pod. The reinforced retention bars shine dully in the harsh light of the sodium lamps.

What is my craft?

I hold my helmet in my hands, its green eyepieces staring up at me, and I see my face reflected in the armoured glass. The Rage rises inside me and I beat it down, my flesh rebelling against my will. Slowly, shakily, I lift my helmet and slide it down over my head, connecting the seals, locking myself inside the armoured shell. The Rage subsides, and my flesh calms; I become like my armour: pure, steady, unblemished.

I descend on wings of smoke and flame.

I am an angel; a fury; a bulwark against the darkness. I am the sacrifice which holds the horrors of the night at bay.

I am the one that dies so that I can live forever in the Emperor’s grace.

What is my craft?

My craft is death.

Hope you all enjoy this insight to the thoughts of a lone Blood Angel. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

The Silent Lions Chapter

Winter Falls

Darkness

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Last edited by Romero's Own; 02-05-13 at 08:34 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-13, 02:15 PM

wow that was quick romero, love it especially how you describe him fighting the black rage

Quote:

Eldrad Ulthran:

inquisitor czevak:

Last edited by son of azurman; 02-02-13 at 02:20 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-13, 02:22 AM

Adrian's Flag is: USA

Default Though it costs me everything

Though it costs me everything.

Tis grace that taught my heart to fear and grace my fears released. This thought continually works its way through the forefront of my mind as I look back on my life. Though I am old and weak now, there was a time when I was not. Once I was strong and able. Once I counted for something … a useful tool in the hands of the Emperor, a willing slave unto His own will. Once, long ago I worked my body against the great enemy, Chaos, in ways that would have even impressed the legendary space marines and would have earned even their lofty respect. Once upon a time …

What wonders I have seen in the service of my Lord, what majestic sights! Oh, I have seen the fabled Arch of Livatious, the seemingly bottomless pits of Uranius II. I, myself, have fought under the grand bridges of Illumination upon the distant world of Trasden Omega and rejoiced at the victory against the foes of the Imperium. I danced in the halls of Ice with a beautiful woman, a woman who later I loved.

I miss her now. She was at once glorious, like an angel and terrifying as a daemon in its wrathful manifestation. She was the mother of my children and the life of my very soul. I think of her often and smile at her memory. What am I now but the shell of a man who was once great. I have lived long enough to both love and hate. I have lived long enough to remember and also to see things as they really are.

In my service to the Emperor of mankind I studied in the Librarium of forbidden knowledge and in the vast and dark halls I found a book. I believe that it is the last of its kind, all others torn asunder and burned in the rising of the Emperor so long ago. How it had survived for so long I do not know. Why it was not destroyed I cannot say. This book captivated my heart and caused me to wonder upon the things that I had been taught since I was a small child.

This book brought me to despair. It brought me to doubt the Godhood of the Emperor. It made me see my shame and my sin and my selfishness. It told of wonders and miracles and martyrs. I was struck by the truth of the words upon the pages therein. There in the darkened halls I laughed and wept and sat in abject horror. I twisted with guilt and self loathing, I said, ‘What a wretch I am!’ and for the first time in my life I knew… I knew that there was a reason for my life. There was a purpose for me other than killing and waging war.

Upon the wasteland of despair I repented of my sins and swore an oath upon the book of which I had found and for this I knew that I was a marked man. I was marked for death by those of whom I had served; the Inquisition. The truth that I had found set my spirit free but it condemned my flesh. Those who I loved would be in harm’s way if I stayed. I knew that I could not defend those that I had loved from the power of the Inquisition. So I fled in the dead of night.

I wept because I knew that I could not go home. I would never see my children or wife again. Because of the new faith that coursed through my mind and soul I had to put myself as far away from my family as possible. I made contact with my family only once before I left. I explained the truth that I had found to my lovely angel. I don’t know what I expected. I had hoped that she would believe me and turn from her sin as well but in the end she betrayed me, tried to kill me. I was shattered.

No one would understand, not many could understand the idea of salvation, the truth of forgiveness and grace.

Seventy years have come and gone since the day that my mind was opened and my soul was saved. Seventy years have I prayed for the forgiveness of mankind for turning away from the true God and His sinless son. Mankind is lost to endless war and destruction because of the choices they have made. Endless world suffer and burn because they do not know nor do they wish to know of the price that has been paid to set them free.

I am too old to run anymore and I know they will come for me. The Inquisition is relentless and does not forget. They do not forgive. They do not give unmerited favor. They do not have grace. In a bygone age, when mankind was young things were not so different. Those who expressed their faith and spoke out against tyranny, believed differently than the powers of those days where slaughtered. Their families were made to suffer before the eyes of those who dared to trust in an unseen God.

I do not regret finding that book so long ago even though the faith that I have found has taken everything from me. I miss her. She was my life.

I can see them through the front window. They are coming for me. It has taken a long time for them to find me, but I always knew the time would come when I could run no longer. I open the door for them and invite them in. They are stunned by my lack of fear. ‘Do you recant and disavow?’

I bow my head and begin to pray. I am hit hard in the face and I crumble to the floor. There was a time long ago when such a strike upon my flesh would see this man dead, but now I am old. I am also not the same man that I once was, in my heart or my soul. ‘The God Emperor demands that you repent in order to save your immortal soul! Repent heretic!’ the man screamed. I smiled as I looked heavenward.

The gun was aimed at my face. I could see the bullet in the chamber and I knew that it was for me. ‘Grace be to you. Father, hold not this sin against this man or those who are with him. Into your hands I commit my soul.’

From the blood the truth is told.

1,100 words, not counting title.

A good reputation take a long time to build, but only a moment to destroy. Wow, that's deep! Check out the H.O.E.S. short story competition.
Other stories from Adrian.
Look up Adrian in the "Compendium" to find them. Thanks
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-13, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Boc
Like a Bawss

Nothing for two weeks? Goodness... let's get writing, guys!

Quote:
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-13, 07:19 PM

having trouble coming up with ideas, will try to get one up but will probably have to wait till next months.

Quote:

Eldrad Ulthran:

inquisitor czevak:
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-13, 10:19 PM

Sangus Bane's Flag is: Netherlands

Grace of Purpose- 963 words

Grace of Purpose, the golden letters on the bow of the ship read.

Grace of purpose…

A strong name both within the Space Angel Chapter and beyond the Chapter.
The ship had earned its name during many millennia of service to the Imperium of mankind and its Holy Emperor, seated on distant Terra and none would dare question its capabilities or its purpose.

Grace of Purpose.

The ship had seen more battles than most ships of its age or design, yet it had never been damaged beyond repair, or endured any substantial damage for that matter.

It had been scarred horribly on many occasions, but it always endured, always survived, always victorious.

Some believe the ship to be under the Emperor’s protection ever since the ship had assisted an Imperial Navy fleet during a raid from the Red Corsairs.
Others believe it is due to the ship being visited by the holy Saint Clarice herself, an Adepta Sororita who honoured the Chapter with her graceful presence after the Chapter had saved her world of birth from the Ork onslaught, many centuries ago.

Dertan Mirrorus, first captain of the Space Angel Chapter knew not which of the many stories he should believe, but he knew one thing; the ship was unlike any other, and there had to be a reason for that.

Often would he ask the servants of the Adeptus Mechanicum to do extra inspections of the ship, just to be ever certain the ship was in pristine.
It always was, and it always would be.

The ship truly earned its name.

Grace of Purpose.

Its elegant shapes and inconceivably beautiful decorations inspiring the crew of the ship and the member of the Space Angel first company to greatness, leading them to victory and guarding them from death.
Ever vigilant, ever watchful, ever on the hunt.
All of that could be said of the ship, but no words could ever do it the honour it deserved.

First Captain Dertan Mirrorus set foot on the bridge. His heavy Terminator armour making his footsteps sound like thunder on the deck.
‘’Captain on deck!’’ Shipmaster Aleris alerted the crew and all stopped in their tracks, bowing to the captain.

‘’Proceed.’’ Captain Mirrorus said plainly and the crew continued their various duties.

‘’Aleris, why did you have me summoned?’’ Captain Mirrorus asked from inside his armour, his pale scalp barely visible inside the huge Tactical Dreadnaught armour.

‘’My lord,’’ Shipmaster Aleris replied as he bowed his head. ‘’Three ships of unknown origin have just appeared at the edge of our sensors.’’

Captain Mirrorus seemed to consider the news, already preparing several battle plans inside his head.

‘’Make contact and clarify the identity of the ships.’’ The captain ordered and the shipmaster went to work, passing down orders through the chain of command and relaying data traffic between the captain and the various sub-officers on the bridge.

‘’My lord, the ships refuse to respond to our hails, all three of them remain silent.’’ Aleris informed the captain.

‘’Open a direct vox channel.’’ Captain Mirrorus ordered, his voice ever toneless and plain.

The shipmaster bowed his head and within seconds he gave a nod to the captain, indicating the channel was open.

‘’This is Captain Dertan Mirrorus of the first company of the Adeptus Astartes Space Angel Chapter.’’ Captain Mirrorus introduced himself.
‘’Identify yourselves and state your intentions immediately or face utter annihilation under the authority of the Imperium of mankind. This is your one, and only chance.’’

There was no reply.

‘’My lord, we have a visual on the enemy ships, they are of unknown design and nature, not matching any known pattern.’’ Shipmaster Aleris told.

‘’Show me.’’

A pict screen above the central dais lit up and Captain Mirrorus could see the outline of three ships against the planet that lay behind them.

‘’Clearly not of Imperial design.’’ Captain Mirrorus stated, noting the sleek and curvy red hulls of the ships. ‘’I have never seen such ships nor anything like them.’’

‘’Nor have I, my lord.’’ Shipmaster Aleris said.

‘’We are nearing maximum torpedo range, my lord.’’ A weapons officer said as he handed a report to the shipmaster. ‘’We await your order.’’

‘’Restrain your eagerness, Master Kaldi.’’ Captain Mirrorus said to the officer, clearly not amused by the bold behavior displayed by the officer.

The officer took a step back, bowing his head as an apology.

‘’Prepare torpedoes and bring the gun batteries to full alert.’’ Captain Mirrorus ordered after a few brief seconds. ‘’Master Aleris, you may give the word.’’
The shipmaster bowed his head and went back to work, bringing the ship and its crew to combat readiness in mere seconds.

Hatches sealed, offering extra protection to vulnerable parts of the ship and bulkheads closed to minimize damage in the event of a hull breach.

Across all decks men and women made ready for combat, teams were being equipped to deal with boarders or to control damage sustained during the fight that was to come.

Just like the ship itself the crew was pristine. Dedication to their cause and committed to their purpose.

‘’My lord, we have reached maximum weapons range and are ready to fire the first wave of torpedoes.’’

First Captain Dertan Mirrorus had never doubted one of his decisions, nor would he doubt the order he was about to give.

His mind was drawing out several scenarios and situations which could unfold once he had given the order.

‘’My lord?’’ Shipmaster Aleris asked, searching for a confirmation that Captain Mirrorus had heard his earlier report.

Captain Mirrorus had already won the battle in his mind, now he just needed to apply the battle plans.

‘’Fire.’’ Captain Mirrorus ordered, thus starting the latest of the Grace of Purpose’s thousands of combat engagements.

Please have a look at my space marines.

Lord Bane says: "Keep your water bill low, drink more beer!"

My girlfriend said she didn't like Daft Punk. She's single now. Hahahahahaha lol, just kidding. She's dead...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Original Works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode