Halo:Journals - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Original Works All user written fiction from any Games Workshop setting should be posted here. Please use the drop-downs to denote which setting your story belongs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-07-13, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Sangus Bane's Flag is: Netherlands

Default Halo:Journals

Hey guys, and girls,

This is the thread in which I will post a piece of Halo fiction which is also a deeper look at the background for the character I created for HOGGLORD's great Halo RP, Risen from the Ashes. The story follows my character during his turbulent military career and the events leading to that career.

The story is getting quite long (Nearing novel length really.) and thus I decided to start posting the three episodes of Chapter 1.

Chapter 1.1 serves as an introduction to the character and the style, little more.

One final note: This is the way the story is written: The main character keeps a journal, occasionally we get to see one of those journal entries, after which the story follows him and his many companions.

I hope you like it.
----------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1: Pre-military
Episode 1: An Introduction

Welcome, user.

Thank you for purchasing and using the Pear Universal Personal Data Manager Generation VI, or UManager 6.

No doubt you would love to get started with your journal or notes right away but first you will need to make an introduction recording, a message which tells something about you.
This way other will be able to find you when they find your product after you lost or misplaced it.

Let’s get started, shall we?

The recording will commence once you tap the ‘Record’ button on screen, you can do so when you are ready.

Quote:
Entry of Introduction:

‘’Hello, my name is John Lancaster.

I was born on the fourth of February, 2506, which marks this day as my nineteenth birthday.
I live in New Rotterdam, The Netherlands on Earth.
Currently I live here by myself, after my sister left for military duty last year and my parents died two and a half year ago.

Not quite sure what else to say, I think it would be weird to sum up all my hobbies or my life story right now.
My contact information is on a file in the UManager, you won’t have any trouble finding it, or me.

Thank you, and good bye.’’
Well done user, now it is time to set some settings, such as time, date and preferences.

Quote:
Entry- 1, date not set yet. -Please set the date and time for reference in future entries. (Please consort the manual or contact the Pear customer support service if you are having trouble setting certain settings.)

‘’Today is my 19th birthday and my sister gave me this recorder so I can get my head straight. It’s been well over two years since mom and dad died and she thinks I’m still troubled by it. I am, but is that really so strange? A sixteen year old who loses both his parents and is never troubled by it again, that is strange.

Anyway, I’ll try to make entries on this thing on a regular basis, who knows, it might help.’’

-End of entry.
I put down the recorder, put my hands behind my head and slowly fell backwards, onto my bed.
It had been a good birthday; my friends showing up and, of course, the fact that my sister came home without notice.

Maria, my sister, had returned from her first tour. She was a soldier, always had been. When our parents died she took over without question. She finished college and signed up for some military program, the funds generated from that enabling me to go to boarding school for a year.

‘’Why are you still awake?’’ She asked, suddenly showing up in the doorway. Her brown hair was short, military dress, of course. She wore a white tank top and sweatpants, no shoes.
I sighed and got up from my bed.
‘’Not tired…’’ I said casually.
‘’Johnny,’’ She began, but she didn’t go through with the sentence, I didn’t ask her why.

My sister and I were close, closer than most siblings, we had been ever since our parents died. We had to be close, otherwise it would have been even harder to get through the day with just each other. We didn’t have any relatives, not in the Inner colonies at least, nor did our parents have any friends that we knew of. It was strange to suddenly realize we didn’t know a thing about our parents or their lives.
We survived however, and it only made us stronger.

‘’I’m going to bed, ‘kay?’’ Maria announced. ‘’Try to get some sleep.’’
I smiled at her, put up my head phones, wished her a good night and got back into bed. The moment she closed the door and I could hear the music through my headphones I fell asleep.

Please have a look at my space marines.

Lord Bane says: "Keep your water bill low, drink more beer!"

My girlfriend said she didn't like Daft Punk. She's single now. Hahahahahaha lol, just kidding. She's dead...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-09-13, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Episode 2: Contact Harvest

Quote:
Entry- 7, Date not set yet. -Please set the date and time for reference in future entries. (Please consort the manual or contact the Pear customer support service if you are having trouble setting certain settings.)

''Yeah, so, Pear customer support isn’t really being supportive at the moment. I have set the time and date on this thing a dozen times now but it just won’t save them. Each time I start recording, the time and date are set back to ‘Unknown’.
Right now I’m making a few extra recordings to see if that will help. I don’t know how that would help, this software is a mystery to me, but who knows?

*Phone rigns*

Duty calls, I gotta go.''

-End of Entry.
‘’Dammit woman, I’m busy.’’ I said jokingly as I picked up my phone. The display had already told me it was Maria.

‘’John, listen to me, and listen carefully.’’ She said. She spoke fast, I knew something was wrong by her tone.
‘’What’s wrong?’’ I asked, sounding panicked, which I was.
‘’Get to my bedroom.’’ She said and I immediately got up and made my way through the hall, doing what she said.

‘’On the nightstand is a key, take it and use it to open the footlocker underneath my bed.’’

Again I did as she said. The footlocker was heavy and I was sure I scratched the wooden floor of her room by dragging it from underneath her bed.
I unlocked the thing and was amazed at the contents of the locker; her dog tags, lots of military supplies and a gun, a pistol.

‘’It’s open.’’ I said once I had found my phone in the sheets of her bed.
‘’John, take the pistol, the gray envelopes and head downstairs.’’ She said. I could hear a car horn on the background.
‘’I’m almost home, John. Just head downstairs and watch the news for me, will you?’’
I didn’t reply, I just did what I was being told.

I took all the gray envelopes I could find, the pistol, which was much heavier than I expected, and headed downstairs to switch on the TV.
Once it was on I saw nothing but destruction and felt an anxiety creep up and down my spine.

I was stunned, silenced in disbelief by what I was seeing; a world set ablaze, flames and pillars of smoke all across its surface.
‘’For all the viewers who just tuned in; these are images made by the crew of an unknown freighter, the images are now confirmed to be of the planet Harvest, in the Epsilon Indi system.’’

‘’Fuck.’’ I said, really not knowing what else there was to say.
‘’The UNSC has not yet released a statement on what has happened at Harvest but speculations are that a series of terrorist acts have been committed by Insurrectionist terrorist forces.’’

The front door flew open, Maria ran towards the living room and grabbed the remote control from my hands.
She turned up the volume.
‘’What did they say? What’s going on?’’
‘’Harvest got hit hard.’’ I replied hastily. ‘’They think the rebels did it.’’
‘’Fuck.’’ Maria said shocked. ‘’A whole planet?!’’

Maria moved her hands through her hair as if she was looking for a solution.
‘’Did you get my stuff?’’ She finally asked.
I kept my eyes fixed on the screen and pointed to the coffee table behind me.
Maria picked up the envelopes and the pistol and slipped them in her purse.

‘’Maria, what are you doing?’’ I asked her.
No reply.
She was going through some messages on her phone and strode around the living room before she even closed the front door.
I noticed she had turned down the television volume after a news bulletin that a force of marines was being assembled to investigate what had happened at Harvest. Was her unit part of that task force?

‘’Maria!’’ I said, louder this time, and she seemed to snap out of her trance.
‘’John, last time the Innies did something big they struck again shortly after, making things worse when people thought it couldn’t get any worse.’’ Maria told me.

Then I understood, she was afraid the Insurrectionists would strike again, maybe even on Earth, maybe in New Rotterdam…
It was a large port, both for space faring craft and ordinary ships, it also had a large UNSC recruiting center and two ONI offices.
New Rotterdam was a better target for a terrorist strike than most other cities.

Then again, what were the odds?

I knew it was ridiculous to expect a terrorist attack to occur nearby, yet I felt a certain anxiety, a fear which had nestled itself in the back of my mind, ready to grow.

I walked to the kitchen.
‘’Where are you going?’’ Maria asked me while biting a nail.
‘’I’m going to make some tea.’’ I said, realizing I was on auto-pilot.
I couldn’t see Maria’s reaction but I always imagined it to be a nervous chuckle which would make her look like she was about to burst out in tears.

‘’Why is this happening, John?’’ Maria asked me from the living room. Her voice slightly raised to get over the sound of the water running from the tap. ‘’Why can’t they just leave us alone?’’
I had thought about that several times, sometimes even hours straight and I always came to the same conclusion; Because they see it differently.

‘’You had history as a subject throughout high school,’’ I said. ‘’You know how it has been for millennia now; One party wants one thing, the other wants something else.’’
‘’You’d think we’d learn from our past.’’ Maria sighed.

‘’We’re a doomed species.’’ I said, immediately regretting the words.
‘’Don’t say that, John!’’ Maria said annoyed. ‘’Whether you mean it or not, now is definitely not the time to say that sort of thing.’’
I agreed with her, but I also meant what I said…

My girlfriend said she didn't like Daft Punk. She's single now. Hahahahahaha lol, just kidding. She's dead...

Last edited by Sangus Bane; 01-10-13 at 07:01 PM.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-10-13, 02:53 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-10-13, 05:40 PM
Grr! That is all.
WaLkAwaY's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangus Bane View Post
‘’We’re a doomed species.’’ I said, immediately regretting the words.
‘’Don’t say that, John!’’ Maria said annoyed. ‘’Whether you mean it or not, now is definitely the time to say that sort of thing.’’
I agreed with her, but I also meant what I said…
Pretty good. Also did you mean to write this or did you mean "now is definitely *not* the time..."?

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.” – Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

War does not care about convenience or inclement weather. Neither should your training. ~Me (Okay really my brother and I felt bad for stealing it)

post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-10-13, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaLkAwaY View Post
Pretty good. Also did you mean to write this or did you mean "now is definitely *not* the time..."?
At first I intended to make it sarcastic, but then I changed that, seeing how it would not fit the situation.
Seems I forgot to to add the 'not'. Well spotted.

post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-11-13, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Episode 3: Loss

Quote:
Entry- 11: 27-03-2525, 17:56

‘’Maria just heard she is shipped out to Harvest tomorrow, part of a military fleet which has been assembled over the past three days.

Nobody has any clue on what happened at Harvest thus far, and beyond the initial report and the images nobody knows anything, it might be a hoax for all I know.
I sure hope it’s all one giant, sick joke…

But this is reality, so I guess it will be worse than I hope.
*sigh*

Maria and I are going to spent the night together, spending as much time together as possible until she has to report at the local UNSCDF* center to catch a ride to the UNSC Liberty Redeemed which will take part in the recon mission of Epsilon Indi, the system Harvest is located in.

Honestly? I’m scared, scared of being alone again and scared of losing her.
I got used to having her around again, even if had only been a week or two, and now she is shipped off again.

*13 seconds of silence*

-End of Entry
[*United Nations Space Command Defense Force]

Quote:
Entry- 20: 13-4-2525, 12:03

She’s, dead.

End of Entry.
John Lancaster, Amsterdam, 12-4-2525

We are deeply saddened to report the loss of the UNSCDF combat frigate the UNSC Liberty Redeemed, which was destroyed during a mission in the Epsilon Indi system.

Much to our regret we have to inform you that the ship was lost with all hands, including your sister Pvt. Maria Amy Robin Lancaster.

We are further saddened to report that there are no remains to be buried.

We hope you take comfort with the knowledge that she will be missed dearly and will be remembered for her accomplishments and her service to the UNSC.

A ceremony will be held in honour of the dead on the seventeenth of March, we hope you will attend the ceremony. Specifics will be sent to you shortly.

Please know you have our deepest sympathies and if the UNSC military can be of any service you can contact us through the contact information supplied on the backside of this notification.

We wish you luck and strength in these dark days.

-Colonel Richard Ackingson , UNSCDF Marine Corps

I didn’t know what I felt.

When my parents died I felt sadness, grief, like I was supposed to.
But now…

Anger? Yes, that’s it.
But at who? The Innies for one. I wanted to kill them, all of them.

The saddest part was that I realized this while they were reading me her will.
She directed it to me, the entire will.

I now officially owned everything she owned, used to own…
The house, the car, everything, I now had access to her bank account. I cared for nothing of those things.

What troubled me most was the message she included in her will;

John, if you ever get to hear this it means that I died whilst on tour.
I hope you never get to hear this off course but there are things I need to ask of you.

The first is this: Please don’t sell the house, keep it, it was the only place we ever felt at home and I want you to grow old there, you will be the only person in our entire family to get that chance.

Secondly: Don’t do anything stupid, live your life, don’t spend it fighting.

Third: Please forgive me. I have the sense that when I die I will abandon you, leave you all alone. The though makes me cry, it truly does. I’d understand if you blamed me.

I love you Johnnie, never forget that.
-Mary

Mary...
That's what I used to call her when we were around the age of four. She hadn't been called that in fifteen years now…

I hated myself for what I was about to do, as it was not what Maria had asked of me;

I walked into the New Rotterdam UNSCDF center and enlisted for military duty, created a plan in which the UNSC would keep my house until my service ended and I was shipped to a training center in the Ukraine right away.

All of this in a flash of rage and sadness, though I never regretted it.
I don’t even remember most of it...

post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-11-13, 03:53 PM

son of azurman's Flag is: Scotland

Looking good so far sangus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
If an immovable object is struck by an unstoppable force, how many potatoes will fit in the jelly mould?
Renegades 9:flesh is weak
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=122389

Eldrad Ulthran:
"He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it."

inquisitor czevak:
"Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know."
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-11-13, 04:21 PM
Reaper of Souls

Santaire's Flag is: United Kingdom

Hell, now I'm tempted to do one for the Spartans mate.

Give you all a look into them, as you're giving us a look into Lancaster's past

We stand upon the precipice of change. The world fears the inevitable plummet into the abyss. Watch for that moment - and when it comes, do not hesitate to leap. It is only when you fall that you learn whether you can fly.
— Flemeth

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-11-13, 07:38 PM

son of azurman's Flag is: Scotland

I might start doing these kind of things but it won't be for this rp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
If an immovable object is struck by an unstoppable force, how many potatoes will fit in the jelly mould?
Renegades 9:flesh is weak
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=122389

Eldrad Ulthran:
"He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it."

inquisitor czevak:
"Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know."
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-11-13, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaire View Post
Hell, now I'm tempted to do one for the Spartans mate.

Give you all a look into them, as you're giving us a look into Lancaster's past
Quote:
Originally Posted by son of azurman View Post
I might start doing these kind of things but it won't be for this rp
I can recommend it, it gives you the chance to really motivate the actions of your character.

I tend to go a bit overboard with these sort of things however, what was supposed to be 6000 words is now nearing 20.000 words an not even done yet... Curse my creative mind...

I just finished chapter 2 and already have large sections of chapters 3, 4 and 5 finished, plus a small part of chapter 7.
Once I upload parts of chapter 2 the Halo fans are going to see a lot of references.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Original Works

Tags
ashes , episodes , fiction , halo , risen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode