Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories 12: The End - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Original Works All user written fiction from any Games Workshop setting should be posted here. Please use the drop-downs to denote which setting your story belongs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-05-11, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Boc
Like a Bawss

Boc's Flag is: USA

Default Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories 12: The End

Here's how it works:

Each month, there will be a thread posted in the Original Works forum for that month's HOES competition. For those of you interested in entering, read the entry requirements, write a story that fits the chosen theme and post it as a reply to the competition thread by the deadline given.

Once the deadline has passed, a separate voting thread will be posted, where the readers and writers can post their votes for the top three stories. Points will be awarded (3 points for 1st, 2 for 2nd, and 1 for 3rd) for each vote cast, totaled at the closure of the voting window, and a winner will be announced. The winner will have his/her story added to the Winning HOES thread.

Theme

The idea with the theme is that it should serve as the inspiration for your stories rather than a constraint. While creative thinking is most certainly encouraged, the theme should still be relevant to your finished story. The chosen theme can be applied within the WH40K, WHF, HH, and even your own completely original works (though keep in mind, this IS a Warhammer forum) but there will be no bias as to which setting is used for your story.

As far as the theme goes, please feel free with future competitions to contact me with your ideas/proposals, especially given that my creative juices may flow a bit differently than yours. All I ask is that you PM me your ideas rather than posting them into the official competition entry/voting threads to keep posts there relevant to the current competition.

Word Count

The official word count for this (and only this) competition will be 1,500 words. There will be a 10% allowance in this limit, essentially giving you a 1350-1,650 word range with which to tell your tale. This is non-negotiable. This is an Expeditious Story competition, not an Epic Story nor an Infinitesimal Story competition. If you are going to go over or under the 1350-1,650 word limit, you need to rework your story. It is not fair to the other entrants if one does not abide by the rules. If you cannot, feel free to PM me with what you have and I'll give suggestions or ideas as to how to broaden or shorten your story.

Each entry must have a word count posted with it. Expect a reasonably cordial PM from me (and likely some responses in the competition thread) if you either fail to adhere to this rule. The word count can be annotated either at the beginning or ending of your story, and does not need to include your title.

Without further ado...

The theme for this month's competition is:

The End

Entries should be posted in this thread, along with any comments that the readers may want to give (and comments on stories are certainly encouraged in both the competition and voting threads!) 40K, 30K, WHF, and original universes are all permitted (please note, this excludes topics such as Halo, Star Wars, Forgotten Realms, or any other non-original and non-Warhammer settings). Keep in mind, comments are more than welcome! If you catch grammar or spelling errors, the writers are all more than free to edit their piece up until the close of the competition, and that final work will be the one considered for voting. Sharing your thoughts with the writers as they come up with their works is a great way to help us, as a FanFiction community, grow as a whole.

The deadline for entries is Midnight US Eastern Standard Time (-5.00 hours for you UK folks)Saturday, 24 December 2011. Voting will be held from 25 December - 31 December (convenient how it works out that way, is it not?)

Additional Incentive
If simply being victorious over your comrades is not enough to possess you to write a story, there will be rep rewards granted to those that participate in the HOES Challenge.

Partipation - 5 reputation points, everyone will receive this
3rd place - 10 reputation points
2nd place - 20 reputation points
1st place - 30 reputation points

If you have any questions, feel free to either PM me or ask in this thread.

Without further nonsense from me, let the writing begin!

Table of Contents
Gothik - End Game

VulkansNodosaurus - Blossoming

Adrian - Ellie

Mossy Toes - Remembrance

Andygorn - Some Things are Lost, Others Borrowed, Others Eroded or Ripped Away

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.

Last edited by Boc; 12-25-11 at 11:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-05-11, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Boc
Like a Bawss

For starters, a shout out to Mossy Toes for proposing the (embarrassingly obvious, now that I think of it) current topic! I'm still accepting ideas for next year's run, which will ideally consist of topics that can flow together to give some authors who choose the capability of making extended storylines that can go from one month to the next (not a requirement of course, but it's fun to make stuff tie-in), yet still broad enough to keep the current trend of standalone stories as well.

Looking forward to seeing what you all throw at us! I know I've got a sinister idea in the making... now just to find the damn time to write it!

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-05-11, 05:52 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Oooooh yes. I was just suggesting something topical to the end of the year, but on consideration of what the theme might entail...

I'm about 60 words into my story so far, and I'm already in love with this month's theme.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-05-11, 10:43 PM

gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom

End Game

Word count: 1092

It started as a common a garden cold, one of those irritating things that when someone gets it, it passes onto someone else and then someone else and by the time the neighbours cat down the bottom of the street has it, its grown into man flu or something.

By the end of the week it was an epidemic and was worse then the common cold as people were dying from it. Boffins said it was flu like virus that seemed resilient to normal medicine and therefore was able to mutate to something more deadly…they were right about that.

My shift at the local hospital was dealing with this sporadic outburst but then it was a harsh winter. The snows had come early and the winds had gusted colder then ever before and there were those who would make the sign of the Aquila and mutter about bad omens.

It was a common cold that was all…. but it never is as simple as that.

The first inkling that something was not right was when one patient, an elderly man in his late seventies came in coughing, sneezing and hawking up blood. The doctors gave him some antibiotic for his chest infection, the nurses made him warm and comfortable.

Despite his pallor he was joking with them and flirting outrageously saying that if he were forty years younger and all that, Jed and I were passing when we heard him tell a joke that would make a sister of battle blush to a young nurse. Jed sniggered a little and decided to get the old boy to tell him some more meanwhile I went off for some more coffee.

Somewhere between me getting my second hit of caff and the lights going out that was when the screaming started. Jed came barrelling into the canteen, holding his hand to his neck that was starting to look like a fresh cut chop on the butchers slab.

I dropped my mug and ran to help him as he slid to the floor, a couple of others with me. His neck looked like a wild dog had savaged it, I yelled for someone to tell me what had happened as I desperately tried to save my friends life.

No one could tell me and as I looked into my friends’ eyes I saw them glaze over and knew that I had lost him. Sitting on my haunches I bowed my head in a silent prayer to the Emperor not sure if the old bastard had heard me.

All around me there were screams and I as I came back to my senses I wondered why the screaming should continue, Jed was dead there was no need for it really. Getting up I stumbled for the door and stared in open mouthed horror as the carnage that met my eyes was something out of my worst nightmare.

Those that had died that day were up and walking and eating staff and other patients. One woman ran round the corner her eyes wide in terror when something dropped from the ceiling and ripped her face off.

I ducked back behind the door and turned to see Jed sit up and look around then like a shark with his prey lulled into a false sense of security he grabbed one of the orderlies and bit them and continued eating.

The bile rose up from my throat and out onto the floor as the people in the canteen began to run out the room knocking tables and chairs flying. I found myself pushed along on the tide of terror but there was no escape from this nightmare.

I found one of the security guards we employ for when it is weekend shift and we are dealing with the drunk tank brigade, or at least I found what was left of him, half his torso was ripped away in a hunger endured feast that left his insides all over the floor.

I screwed my face up and took his gun, and some bullets, it took a few shots to realise that the only way to put them down was shoot them in the head. I managed to find a couple nurses and paramedics like myself and told them to find something they could use as weapons.

As one small spark of sanity in a sea of insanity we made our way towards the offices, with any luck we might be able to call in for re-enforcements but luck was not to be on our side. By the time we got to the offices there were only two of us left a nurse named Freya and me.

I locked the door and we barricaded it as best we could. We had locked ourselves in the security room and there we sat watching the horror before our eyes. The car park spilled over with people wanting to escape, wanting to get home to loved ones and awaits the arrival of the authorities, and Emperor blessed warriors.

That was not about to happen, they were taken down by these – undead like attack dogs and Freya covered her mouth in shock as once fellow colleagues ripped people apart limb from limb and ate them alive.

I stop to think about all the things I said I was going to do with the next day and myself today and tomorrow and realise that I might not get the chance. Freya and I are unable to tear our gazes from the security monitors and can only watch as patients are pulled from their beds, children are pulled from their mothers and fathers who in turn go down screaming for their dying child.

Then a few moments later those same children are attacking anyone around them…its heartbreaking to watch and we know that we cannot stay in here forever but we can see no way out of here.

Suddenly there is an eerie silence for a moment or two, the screaming stops and the moans of the dying and pleas are gone. We think about leaving until we hear the groans and shuffles outside the door.

Freya can’t take anymore and before I can stop her she grabs my gun, says a prayer to the Emperor and blows her brains out.

The noises outside the door get louder as they hear the shot and they know I am in here. I pick the gun up and curse the day that damn virus came here…I put it to my head and pull the trigger…
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-11, 01:16 AM

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

Considering all the "end" themes that had been suggested in the other thread, I've already had an idea bouncing around in my head. Now let's see if I can fit it in 1,100 words (I'm not kidding myself, I'll probably hit the limit). Though with this being the last week of school and final exams next week, I probably won't submit anything until the last week of the competition. We'll see.

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-11, 09:20 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Ah yes, that pesky word limit. I forsee myself running up against it too. I have my story idea--which I can see fitting--but also want to tack on an additional scene of anywhere from one to three hundred words more, and probably won't have space. Ah well. Ah well.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-11, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Boc
Like a Bawss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Ah yes, that pesky word limit. I forsee myself running up against it too. I have my story idea--which I can see fitting--but also want to tack on an additional scene of anywhere from one to three hundred words more, and probably won't have space. Ah well. Ah well.
Well, you could always simply write the extra scene and post the modified version in a new thread. Or... I am tempted to expand the word limit for the end of the year competition... we'll see, I'll decide by tonight. If it is expanded, it would be 1350-1650 words (i.e. 1500 +/- 10%).

Let me know if you all would want that.

Quote:
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-11, 10:21 PM
Feed

That`d be good. for an end of year special.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-11, 02:50 AM

The additional word count would likely play into my hands as well.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-11, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Boc
Like a Bawss

I'd like Gothik's response in this as well, since she's the only one that has posted. You'd be able to either keep as is (and I would strongly discourage anyone from giving it preferential/negative treatment for it being shorter) or if you'd like to expand on it to meet a 1500 word count. Thoughts?

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Original Works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode