potential 1K OnG - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-12, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default potential 1K OnG

I've been thinking about what army I might take to the WHW doubles later in the year (not even finished painting my may army and am looking at november...) and I was thinking OnG. Bit of a change from me since I don't have a disorder army.

Any feedback on the army would be nice since I have never played with them and have rarely played them... and not since the new rules came out.

215- Orc Great Shamen- talisman of preservation, ironcurse icon
350- 35 Big 'Uns- standard, musician, banner of swiftness
133- Squig Herd- 14 squigs, 7 handlers
35- Spear Chukka
35- Spear Chukka
60- Pumpwagon- spiky rolla/exploding spores
55- Pumpwagon- outrigger
55- Pumpwagon- outrigger
=998

Hopefully I'll be able to pair up with another OnG army because I want to have a BSB (was thinking about a beefy BO BSB in the big uns but ruled it out since it made the unit too expensive or just a cheap NG BSB). I also want a goblin shaman in the army since sneaky stabbin is amasing (if that was in the list the pumpwagons would definitely have spores).

So, any thoughts?
I know many will say to make the big uns savage, but I think its too important to risk being frenzy baited. I did originally have the squigs as savage orcs, but think the lower T might be offset enough by extra S.

Last edited by Tim/Steve; 04-20-12 at 09:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-12, 08:25 AM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

Hi Mate

That's a very nice list for a doubles event as even if you do not match up well you have some good units that can perform multiple taks.

In my personal experience I do tend to find that Savage Orcs frenzy is a pain and I had to take a unit to block them off which also tended to weaken my lists. Big Uns on their own are decent enough and the Banner of Swiftness will be enough to get them into charging position quickly.

Squig Herd is an amazing unit (I use 2 x 10 Squigs, 10 Handlers) and the amount of points that this small unit can rack up is outstanding.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-12, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
WFB Moderator

Swapped the shamen's warrior bane for ironcurse. Magical attacks are lovely, but with only 1 attack I would need fist of gork to make it useful... so while I am making myself a little more vulnerable to ethereal stuff a 6++ vs artillery could save me some orcsies in the long run.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-12, 09:58 PM
olderplayer's Flag is: USA

You cannot take more than two pump wagons at 1000 points. You could take a mangler squig instead.

I'd take lucky shrunken head on the shaman and run the big uns as savage orcs (they are fewer in number due to point costs but better choice). For a BSB, consider running a cheap night goblin unit with a night goblin BSB right behind the savage orcs. Spear Chukka's are not great, a doom diver is a better option (better chance of hitting and better chance of wounding more).
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-12, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
WFB Moderator

Can have 4 pump wagons in a normal army, 8 in a grand army.

With the 4 pump wagons I don't have room for any rare artillery... although if I could I would probably take a rock lobba over a doom diver. It would give me better counters to war machines and monsters while staying about the same for the nasty new monstrous cav (not to mention far far better vs infantry). In the absence of rare choices I've included the spear chukkas more for psychological reasons (draw the opponent's eye/attention) but they could put some wounds on the monstrous cav units that have me scared... though I still think I'll be steamrollered by any evil 2*6 mournfang/demigryphs lists (one pair of friends are taking 11 mournfang in may, while another is already planning 12 demigryph for november).

If I were to take savages I would take the lucky shrunken head and would take a night goblin BSB and just tack him onto the side of the unit... once I've reached combat I don't really care if he got killed or not (and being a different base size may well push him wide enough not to be in B2B).
Ld8 frenzy is still a little risky and the forced overuns would annoy me, but the models do look a lot nicer...

EDIT- possibly:

230- Savage Orc Great Shamen- Lucky Shrunken Head, shrieking blade, potion of speed
74- NG BSB- banner of swiftness, light armour, shield
329- 29 Savage Orc Big 'Uns- standard
133- Squig Herd- 14 squigs, 7 handlers
55- Pumpwagon- outrigger
55- Pumpwagon- outrigger
=996

That makes the big un unit do a possible extra 10 S5 attacks, makes them more survivable and removes the problem of fear... its a much better unit, but I'm not sure if it isn't overkill. Skrieking blade makes enemies take fear tests- doesn't protect me from them, but ItP and BSB reroll at Ld8 should do that for me. Does mean I have magical attacks and can occasionally laugh at WS4+ elves/skaven.

Last edited by Tim/Steve; 04-23-12 at 06:25 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-12, 01:00 AM

KarnalBloodfist's Flag is: USA

I thought that only regular orc big'uns could have a magic banner? I have been known to be wrong ... a lot. Just ask my wife.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-12, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
WFB Moderator

oops, that serves me right for reading one entry and assuming things of others. That's scrubbed Ld9 out of the army, but let me put the squigs back to 14-7. Also added potion of speed, might be useful if coupled with fist of gork.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-12, 12:20 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

Hey are you still considering O&G for this mixed Tourney? Have you had a chance to play test them at all yet?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-12, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
WFB Moderator

I'm taking them, not playtested yet... but then the current tourny is this weekend so I'm still playing with skinks for now. The next one is november so I have a little time.

I've assembled my first 10 savage orcs and have my squig herd and 2 pump wagons coming... I'll have the army bought and assembled in a few weeks.
My partner is taking a 'fun' night goblin list with lots of mangler squigs, 1 large and 2 small night goblin units with 2 fanatics each, BSB and mage... not going to be a great army, but should be a fun combo.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-12, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
WFB Moderator

Trying to upgrade the NG BSB to a savage orc, but just can't find the points. I don't want to lose anything else to havea slightly better BSB.

I've also had a quick think about terrain and recon a sorcerous portal might be an excellent piece to take, its main spells would all greatly help us (except plague of rust, which wouldn't hurt much/at all) and it fits the almost completely random nature of the army... sounds like a bonus to me

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Armylists > Orcs and Goblins Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode