potential 1K OnG - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-12, 09:38 AM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

To be honest there isn't a great deal of reasons to updrage your BSB, just keep him out of harms way. Hell I even hid my Gen and BSB behind a troll to keep them out of combat.

The sorcerous portal is a great scenery peice, however the only time I have experienced one was when playing watchtower and my NG's were being zapped due to the scenery being so close
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-12, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Had a slight edit to the list

220- Savage Orc Great Shamen- Lucky Shrunken Head
99- Orc Big Boss- BSB, standard of discipline, great weapon
318- 28 Savage Orc Big 'Uns- standard
133- Squig Herd- 14 squigs, 7 handlers
60- Pumpwagon- spiky rolla/exploding spores
60- Pumpwagon- spiky rolla/exploding spores
55- Pumpwagon- outrigger
55- Pumpwagon- outrigger
=1000

Pairing (vaguely)

NG Warboss- dragonhelm, sword of might
NG Great Shaman- Lv3, Channeling Staff
NG Big Boss- axe of stunty smashing
NG Shamen- Lv2, scroll, ironcurse icon

60 NGs- 3 fanatics, netters
2*mangler squigs
Doom Diver

I've upgraded the NG BSB to an orc just for theme, but giving him a great weapon for S6-7 will give the unit something it has been lacking (just not for very long). I was trying to make him a savage orc so I could have frenzy on that great weapon and use the 5++ ward but just couldn't get the points. The banner has swapped from +1 move to +1 Ld to help keep the NGs in line, both literally and metaphorically. Being M4 will mean that the savage orcs advance with the NGs and squigs but giving the great shamen Ld9 to share is no bad thing either: if it looks like we're coming up to a nasty fight I may well just move the BSB accross to the NGs anyway: he'll have Ld9 anyway and the netters make him far harder to kill when he's hiding in the NGs (plus he'll be way out wide, rather then a part of the unit).

I'm also really tempted by a big stabba. I thought they were pretty useless until I read the FAQ and saw that while they may be S5 regardless of the S of whoever carries it, they are affected by the choppas rule, so hit at S6. D3 S6 impact hits are nothing to cry about, especially when they cause D3 wounds against monsters (average of 2W against most monsters before the fight even starts).... but this requires playtesting (won't happen for a while, need to build most of the army first).
The other thing I'm thinking of checking in playtesting is how much I need the Lv3 shamen. I'm tempted to drop it down to a Lv2 and use the points to make the BSB savage as well... depending on how things go I may ask my partner to take a BSB and swap my characters for savage warboss and lv2 shaman.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-12, 11:33 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

are you expecting many monsters in a 1k doubles? most bigs uns are either too expensive (dragons) non armour weenies (giants) or borderline (treemen, stonehorn, varghulf) in their effectiveness.

I know your going ong but I csnt help feel how much better off a master of the dead necrolord is when paired with your partners list.

vargulf, 6 vargheists, skelblock, motdead, caddy zombiebooster/wight king bsb.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-12, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
WFB Moderator

Hydras, HPA and steamtanks will be around, I've seen stonehorn and sphinx taken as well, but mostly on the lower tables (especially for TK, didn't see any TK near the top of the hall).

OnG aren't a good army, of the 3 Ong armies I saw at the last tourny 2 were savage orc based (1 mid hall, 1 low end... but that was used by some friends and they were just there for a piss-up) and the other was an amasing spider army (4 blocks of spider-riders painted as real spiders with pics on their movement trays, with 3 converted artillery pieces on spiders and giant spider character)... certainly didn't see any dual OnG armies.

We're not going to do very well... but then we're not trying to: doubles is just a bit of fun (which was what I was trying for the last one, and just got a little too far up the hall for my liking). We're probably fairly screwed right from the outset since the WHW tables use a huge amount of scenery... so fanatics are not going to do very much, but that doesn't stop me having evil plans about flinging the NG unit out onto a flank with hand of gork and sending the fanatics down a whole battleline

The last tourny was kinda shocking: I kept getting into rule disputes with people, some inevitable (kroxi-skinks are a rules black hole) and some incredibly stupid (multi-charge against unit+building, multiple charge reactions from the same unit). I felt like I was being an arse, and was really trying to avoid them... but then we got best game votes from 5/10 people we played, which I felt quite honoured by. Though admittedly I'm still in shock about some of the disagreements: worst one was me standing and shooting with terradon against an eagle then fleeing when some demigryph then charged me... the opponents just didn't understand the order of declaring charges/reactions or how you got multiple reactions.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-12, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
WFB Moderator

Thinking of a slight switch for the main unit:

220- Savage Orc Great Shamen- Lucky Shrunken Head
119- Savage Orc Big Boss- BSB, great weapon, standard of discipline
296- 26 Savage Orc Big 'Uns- standard
133- Squig Herd- 14 squigs, 7 handlers
60- Pumpwagon- exploding spores
60- Pumpwagon- exploding spores
55- Pumpwagon- outrigger
55- Pumpwagon- outrigger
=998

Gives me a 7*4 main unit of savage orcs with 2 characters at leadership 9 with a reroll (which I can pass onto my NG allies) and lots of nice flanking units. I was thinking about throwing in some cheap units of squig herds with no squigs in (ItP and they still explode if they break and only 30pts) or the more fluffy snotling bases as flankers... but I just don't have the points for them with the BSB in th elist, and don't think I really need them with that many pump wagons lying around.

Last edited by Tim/Steve; 06-04-12 at 03:59 PM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-02-12, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
WFB Moderator

Played a few practice games with my partner and I've decided to go for a bit of a shift:

94- Orc Big Boss- BSB, Eternal Flame, great weapon
110- Orc Shaman- Lv2, shrieking blade

346- 34 Orc Big'Uns- CB, Banner of Discipline, shields

133- Squig Herd- 14 Squig, 7 Herders
35- Troll
35- Troll

80- Doom Diver
55- Pump Wagon- outriggas

I found that the frenzy of the savage orcs was letting them get baited by enemy disposables too easily and while it didn't open me for flank charges it could well have done (did get me hammered by Queek and unit), so I've swapped it round to have normal orcs (though we are taking the tower of blood to get frenzy when we want it).

I also found that the faster pump wagons did much better, while against the armies I needed them the anti-armour wagons got targeted early on... so now they are all fast and I've thrown in a doom diver to pair up with my partners to smack knights/mournfang. They are also rubbish at controlling enemy movement so I've included a couple of trolls as M6 blockers... but with regen and S5 they are seriously nasty.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Armylists > Orcs and Goblins Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode