all big uns (2k orc list) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-12, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Default all big uns (2k orc list)

hey all

i've gotten a bit bored of my rats and as a friend of mine is selling me his old orc army i thought i would give them a go. so this is my first try, please be kind and just to note im not keen on gobbos if your going to go green do it big

Lord – 375

gorbad ironclaw – 375

Heroes – 338

orc shaman – 125
lvl2
dispel scroll

big boss – 109
GW
armour of destiny

big boss – 104
GW
talisman of preservation

Core – 870

30 boyz – 290
big 'uns
add hand weapons
standard
musician

30 boyz – 290
big 'uns
add hand weapons
standard
musician

30 boyz – 290
big 'uns
add hand weapons
standard
musician

Special – 410

10 boar boyz – 240
big 'uns
standard
musician
shields

orc chariot – 85

orc chariot – 85

Total - 1993

so gorbad goes with the boar boyz (smart ay) they should munch through most things and gorbads specials with LD and being a BSB just makes him more awesome.

now the shaman just goes in a unit of boyz hes mostly a scroll caddy but can also give me something to do in my own magic phase.

as for the 2 boss' they each go in a unit of boyz too give even more punch! 1st round of a combat 3 STR 7 attacks ouch!

now my reason for wanting big 'uns is the nice juicy 13 STR 5 attacks (1 front model displaced by boss/shaman) and as hinted they will be formed up in 5 wide 6 deep. i know they dont have saves (well 6's but thats not really a save ) but they should survive a round of combat giving enough time for either chariots or another unit to come give aid.

i know that i put alot of writing down but i think it helps people understand what i was planning

apologies for my appalling grammar and spelling

cheers

Cazmac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-12, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

so many views yet so little comments... surely someone has some input on my list?

cheers

cazmac
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-12, 07:14 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

To be honest there isn't too much to comment on, you'll mash most things in combat (except anything with poison and after a few rounds ASF might start to take a toll on your numbers). I'm not a fan of a single phase army (e.g only combat such as yours) but for what it is it looks good

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-12, 07:31 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

reread the big 'uns rule- you can only have 1 unit of them per army... so a whole army of them isn't possible.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-12, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

to tim/steve

page 64 orc army book Gorbad iron claw special rule:

orcs are da best: Gorbad was the most inspirational orc leader of all time and drew the biggest and best orc fighters from across the land to fight under his banner. an orc & goblin army that includes Gorbad may upgrade any number of units of orc boyz and/or orc boar boyz to big unz.

and to Ratvan:

i was debating swapping the chariots with rock lobbas, but then i thought i would just use the chariots to harass and while they get into combat early i get higher STR to my magic spells. also they make great counter chargers and warmachine hunters.

cheers

cazmac
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-12, 11:17 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

I know I ran a very similar list for 2.5k against Crone Hellebron and in combat it kicked ass, right up until his witch elves started rolling well and the poison started really taking its toll. Problem is with the Lobba's well its Orc shooting which isn't the best in the world but you may get a couple of shots off and get lucky. In my game I should have targetted the Cauldron a lot earlier (it was proxied - not making excuses but if I realised it sooner probably could have saved the game)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-12, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

i do plan on upping the list to 2,500 i was thinking of adding another unit of boys with a shaman and probly either a chariot or lobba?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-12, 04:32 PM
olderplayer's Flag is: USA

I would consider one unit of savage orc big uns. The big uns upgrade is more worthwhile with savage orcs due to the greater number of attacks they have.

You really need some additional supporting units and threats. Two doom divers are almsot a must have. I like mangler squiqs (they can be hit or miss and a cheap diverter can march up and sit on it and kill it, but it can really wreak havoc) and snotling pump wagons because of their ITP and unbreakable rules. Also, single or small units of trolls can be very helpful with that 18" LD range of the general and their abilities to keep up with the boar boyz.

I like Gorbad just because he has LD 10 with 18" inspriing presence, allows the big uns upgrade across the units (which is huge), and the animosity roll boost allowing you to avoid 1's on the animosity table. He can kill with the Mangler special weapon but he lacks the saves you'd like (only a 3+ AS and no ward save and no-re-roll of the AS), so he is best bunkered until he can be used on a flank or to finish off something at the end.

I'd probably consolidate to two orc core units, instead of three, run fewer points in core and then use the saved points to run more chaff units (manglers, pump wagons, trolls, and maybe chariots).
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-12, 06:39 PM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

How do you plan on ranking up your units? Are you going to try and maximize the number of attacks or the number of ranks? Also remember everything hits at Int now so be careful around WoC armies as they will hit first.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-12, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

well i plan to have ranks so i will hopefully hit hard and give enough time to receive a flanker. being orcs it appears we don't need to care about init as most things hit us first...

i may run two blocks of 40 instead and maybe a block of savage orc big uns as you said. this is me playing with mostly just what i have at the moment which is abouts 80 orc boyz with 2 hand weapons, 1 chariot, 1 rock lobba and about 14 boar boyz. just a shame gorbad only allows numerous amount of orc boyz and boar to be big unz and doesnt seem to include savage orcs...

p.s was wondering earlier if gorbads unit runs does he automatically die thanks to the rules of BSB?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Armylists > Orcs and Goblins Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode