gobo gunline - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-12, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Default gobo gunline

so i was looking through the orcs and goblins and stumbled across what i think may be extremly efective well here it is
night gobo l4 170
night gobo l4 170
l2 night gobo 85
l2 night gobo 85
l2 night gobo 85
l2 night gobo 85
40 night gobos bows 3 fanatics 195
doomdiver 80
doomdiver 80
doomdiver 80
stone chuca 85
ston chuca 85
stone chuca 85
6 bolt throwers 210
this is 2360 and im thinking i need da big waagh spells what do you think against other gun lines gobos hell it forward and deliver fanatics and i try to get the one that puts you in soft cover and enemies take dt thats it really any critic welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-12, 10:28 PM

KarnalBloodfist's Flag is: USA

In under 3000 you can't have triple rares. So, unless you plan on taking the army up to 3K, you'll have to drop a doomdiver. Something else to think about is having some gobbo fast cav w/ s-bows to keep w/ the theme. They can hunt warmachines and flank (though, not reliably ) for you.

That's a lot of magic in there! Maybe drop a lvl 2 and a lvl 4 for a combat lord and ESPECIALLY a BSB! And maybe try to get some nets on those blocks of goblins as they are not combat oriented so that you have a better chance of weakening the opponent.

Looks like a fun list otherwise!

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-12, 10:18 AM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

I would limit the warmachines to 2 doomdivers and 2 lobba's the 6 spear chukka's seem fine. The only issue with the Goblins that I see is that they're armed with short bows and if you deploy as a bus formation (5 wide and deep as hell) most of the back ranks with be out of range.

Here's what i'd take

night gobo L4 170
L2 night gobo, 85
L1 night gobo, Dispel Scroll 75
Night Gobbo BSB, either +1LD/ survivor 60
NG BB, GW - 34
NG BB, GW - 34
NG BB, GW - 34
NG BB, GW - 34
40 night gobos bows 120
40 night gobos bows 120
60 night gobos spears, nets 3 fanatics - 300
60 night gobos spears, nets 3 fanatics - 300
6 Spear Chukkas - 210
Doomdiver - 80
Doomdiver - 80
Lobba - 85
Lobba - 85
Mangler - 65
Mangler - 65

Should be roughly 2040 points, I would also invest in a Night Goblin Warboss to be your general who needs to be protected for his leadership, you might also want to look at getting some squigs, wolf riders, trolls ect as redirectors/chaff/regen wound pool.

The nets although expensive does mean that essentially the goblins are T4 which will help a lot in the combats and hopefully will limit the amount of casulties that you take in return. I think your original list included FAR too many fanatics (I run 5 at 2k and thats more than enough for me, after a while they do get a little frustrating.)

Roll for your spells in this order swapping out anything that you want your Level 4 to have, Level 1 (signiture) Level 2, Level 4. Should give the shamans the spells that they want.

Finally Manglers, they're cheap for what they do, plus if you buy one box it is easy enough to turn into 2 of them, just beware of eagles.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-12, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

why units biger i would want more fanatics rather than less fanatics are beef anyone coming at me chaos warrior hord etc wiill have the fanatics launched at them and just pumell them with arows fanatics what about l4 ork shaman and l2 ork shaman instead of l4 gobo and 2 l2 gobos plus why combat over bows and these will be hordes i could take more 30 man gobo units rather than 40 man its a bummer that i cant have 3 of one type
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-12, 11:18 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

MSU of gobbos with fanatics just makes it worthwhile sending little units at them early. Personally I fly eagles at units of gobbos- fly down a line releasing fanatic after fanatic until my eagle dies... then I do it with my second. I lose 50 point models to realease at least 75 points of fanatics (against people maxing fanatics) if not much more... which then only works for me as the body of my main army is still a long way off.
- I don't know if they've changed the rules but I used to try to get an eagle behind the gobbo line then fly behind all the goblin units. Being withint 8" meant they had to release their fanatics, whicht they could only do forward/sideways... which then didn't stop me forcing others to release theirs.

WoC don't have eagles but they do have warhounds, marauder cav and if necessary marauders themselves... once they've forced your fanatics out they can just wait a few turns then smash through your army with warriors without worry.

Personally I would follow the advice I saw in a fanatic tactica a while back- use random numbes of fanatic in each unit. You get the psychological impact from having 3 fanatics per unit without the points cost (people will assume/worry that there are 3 fanatics everywhere). What's more, if you use a unit like it has 3 fanatics you can draw out the opponent's anti-fanatic tactics without losing anything (eg moving a goblin unit so that if an enemy moved they would get fanatics smashing into their unit/army, with a unit of goblins with no upgrades- cheap as chips and when the enemy makes you panic and flee and laughs at your dead fanatics you can explain that there were none ).
Goblins are meant to be sneaky... so so should goblin players

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-12, 04:33 AM
olderplayer's Flag is: USA

Night goblins have terrible leadership and are prone to panic. You need a general with decent leadership and a BSB. With the number of units being run, you will have trouble keeping the leadership bubble in range of the units. Once a unit is panicked or flees it can send other units cascading back in a series of panic tests. In a recent battle, I killed one lobba, shoot down a Mangler and killed a wolf chariot and I cause panic for everything within 6" of each unit destroyed and the panicked unit then fled through other units and panicked them in turn and then the game was largely over as units panicked each other off the board and the war machines panicked and could not shoot half the time. In order to avoid this, you have to space out your deployments of units like Manglers (which are ITP) and war machines and keep everything else tight together in order to keep within the general and BSB bubble. Also, as you roll for spells, you will have to have have multiple night goblin shamans choose to have the signature spell because none of the non-signature spells can be duplicated.

If themed, some of the ideas previously posted would improve the army. I would consider squig herder units (ITP) (some say squig hoppers are also under-rated) and wolf chariots, as wells as snotlling pump wagons to give more MSU threats that can do damage. A squig herd horde is really annoying and can be effective if you have enough threats like Manglers, snotling pump wagons, and wolf chariots. Manglers are deadly but are also very vulnerable to something cheap, like an eagle, single fiend of slaanesh, sabrecat or something similar just flying or running into them and blowing them up. When the new OnG first came out last year, armies with double doom divers, pumps wagons, mangler squigs, and wolf chariots gave some armies without a lot of shooting and magic missiles fits, especially warriors of chaos because these units cut through their high armour saves and toughness with doom diver hits and impact hits.

Last edited by olderplayer; 03-21-12 at 04:36 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-12, 11:56 AM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by seermaster View Post
why units biger i would want more fanatics rather than less fanatics are beef anyone coming at me chaos warrior hord etc wiill have the fanatics launched at them and just pumell them with arows fanatics what about l4 ork shaman and l2 ork shaman instead of l4 gobo and 2 l2 gobos plus why combat over bows and these will be hordes i could take more 30 man gobo units rather than 40 man its a bummer that i cant have 3 of one type
I personally would go for bigger units with spears on the goblins as they're better at holding up enemy units giving you more time to get a hammer unit into the flank. I'm not a great fan of short bows, mainly because of the range you'll probably get 1 turn of shooting and a stand and shoot reaction with the goblins.

Against toughness 3 troops you're likely to only hit with roughly 10, causing 5 wounds and possibly causing 3-4 casulties, maybe a few more if you got poison or armour piercing spell on the unit from volley fire. Against Chaos Warriors you're likely not to cause a casulty at all. Plus archers caused me far more damage on my own troops then on my opponents.

I do like fanatics, although I do like to randomise the amount that I take in my units, hell I even took none in quite a few games and the amount of chaff that got within range (8") was promptly charged, destroyed and I was able to overrun into the follow up unit, on the subject of fanatics when you release them try and fan them out as much as possible to create a whirling fence of death infront of your units (2D6 hits rather then D6)

The spells of Da Big Waaagh are more killy (obviously) although the best spell (IMHO) does not affect goblins, I'd stick with the Night Goblin Shamans personally for better synergy.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-12, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

well knowon plays small units general set up is one block core one death block one monster warmachine
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-12, 05:16 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Well if the players usally maximise the minimum requirements then by all means attempt the fanatic wall approach, bear in mind however that a cunning player will effectively stuff up you're own army by letting loose the fanatics.

One tactic that i'm very tempted to play is to have a fanatic flank, 2-3 units each with 3 fanatics although terrain is a real hinderance to our little green loons (tree's often win the fights between them and fanatics)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-12, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

what about pump wagons for some extra hits 2d6 is fairly good and strength 5

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Armylists > Orcs and Goblins Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode