1000 point orc/goblin list - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-12, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Default 1000 point orc/goblin list

Hi
Entering a warhammer 'mighty battles' campaign based around storm of magic and the last GW campaign book. We have to take a regiment of renown and gain 50 points for army being painted. worried about mass raising zombie hordes ASF, backed by elite killing units.

Lv3 orc shaman with dispel scroll 190
night goblin BSB. L.arm + shield 034

40 night goblins spears+std + netters
+ 3 fanatics 250

20 night goblin archers + 1 fanatic 085
28 night goblin archers + 2 fanatics
+ netters 179

5 wolf chariots 250

1 mangler squig 060
total army points 1048

So orc shamen for ld and dispel +3 vs vampire counts, bsb for rerolls at ld 8 for night goblins. chariots to break hordes, archers to kill fast cav, squig + fanatics to break elite infantry/cav, netters to give me chance of holding on if above fails. Drop netters ? and take another squig or goblins or rock lobber.
any help appreciated

Last edited by nandron; 02-27-12 at 11:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-12, 04:21 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

Is there a particular reason that you're going all Night Goblins? If you are fighting fear causing enemies their standard leadership of 5 isn't really going to be the greatest choice in the world.

If you're going for the NG theme then by all means go for it, i'll just have a think how to make the list more durable
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-12, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Hi
My options were High elves, Warriors of chaos, Orc + Goblins a these are the armies I had access to. The high elf army is pricey points wise. Played 2 practise games won both but a couple of poor magic phases or a bad miscast and they would be out of it. My Chaos army is Marauders, helcannon, 1 lv 2 + some warriors or chosen. Might have worked but still quite low LD and my marauder blocks lose to ASF reroll hits, reroll wounds zombies in 40 man blocks. Played a couple of games vs vampire Counts + Tomb Kings with the Orc + Goblin list and had a lot of fun. Won 1 Drew 1. We are playing on 4x4 boards so General + BSB bubble gives me a better chance than H.elves/chaos for passing fear tests as I could not afford a BSB in those lists or a non mage general. Orc units do not have the numbers to go toe to toe with buffed horde Zombies regenerating 2d6 + lv every turn while you wait for the uber Vamp + Cav to flank you and roll your line up. Goblins with netters are as hard to wound and have fanatics + cheap cmbt characters. I am more than happy to be proved wrong by a more experienced player, so if you have an orc unit to run by me, please i need all the help I can get ! The List I played was different however to above Goblin list.
Lords
1 N.Goblin Warboss
grt Wpn + l.armor
Dragon bane gem 68

HEROES
1 lv 2 Goblin Shaman
Dispel Scroll 80
1 Night Goblin BSB
grt wpn + Ruin Ring 82
1 N.Goblin Warboss
grt Wpn + l.armor
Dragon bane gem 68
1 Black Orc Boss 90

CORE
40 Night Goblin Spearmen
3 Fanatics, Netters, Spears 250

Special

5 Wolf chariots 250

RARE
2 Mangler Squigs 120

1 Snotling Wagon
Spiky Roller 60
= 1000
Characters give goblin block punch in close, Chariots on mass can beat a zombie block in a turn, Manglers protect chariots + smash elite units. Mage lv 2 not much use as only 3 good spells in little waargh so no guarantees. Ruin ring for killing corpse cart or equivalent. Snotling wagon just backs up chariots for the 2nd round of killing or kills generated zombies placed in front of main army. Switch spears for bows on N.Goblins ? Drop Characters for artillery ? Also will be playing at 1050 in campaign so + 50 to spend

Last edited by nandron; 03-03-12 at 06:21 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-12, 02:49 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

To be honest I played a All Night Goblin list for a while and while it was good eventually I had to put some Orcs into the list. I'll post up a quick list of what I take at this level.

Orc BB (Gen) - 72
Gold Sigil Sword, Shield

Orc BB (BSB) - 92
Shield, Dragonhelm

Night Goblin Shaman - 75
Ruby Ring of Ruin

Boyz Mob - 260
25 Orc Big 'Uns, Shields, Mus, Std, Standard of Discipline

Night Goblins - 141
27 Night Goblins, Short Bows, Mus
2 Fanatics

Wolf Riders - 65
Short Bows, Mus

Trolls - 210
6 Trolls

Lobba - 85

Total 1000

The General and the BSB go into the unit of Big 'Uns and 6 wide which gives me a nice amount of attacks as well as a bit of protection. This is guarded on one flank by the Trolls which form a massive (for this level) 18 T4 Regenerating Wounds and can also put out the hurt on any unit that gets in the way.

To the other side I have my night goblin archers who march forward firing and standing and shooting when charged, then unlease the fanatics at angles so that the enemy has to land on them causing 2d6 hits per fanatic.

Finally I have a Lobba which will (if it hits) put a dent into the Zombie hordes and the Wolf Riders which in this case I would use to suicide into the General/Necro and trust the wolves to do better then the goblins.

I am not saying that my list is better or you should do this, this and this but trying to give you ideas, another option would be to arm a cheap hero with Shrieking Blade as then he will not be affected by fear and several times these little chaps have taken down something much bigger, better and more costly.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-12, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Hi
Just wanted to say thanks for the feedback, we take 3 lists in the campaign and if I can scrape together enough trolls I will make the list you suggested.
Thanks again
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-12, 12:07 PM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

No problem happy to help, the list is strong enought that you can complete but more importantly you can participate in each of the stages of the game, plus against beginners its not too hard to handicap yourself
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-12, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Hi Again
just curious how you would play your list vs this undead list and tactics.

[B]LORD
Lv3 Necromancer
HEROES
LV 1 Necromancer
Vampire on barded steed, beguile,

CORE
30 ZOMBIES + Std
40 ZOMBIES + Std
20 SKELETONS + Std

SPECIAL
9 Black Knights ?
The vamp has a few cmbt upgrades +attks i think + lv 1 mage
The 2 zombie hordes march in parallel with about 2 inches between them the skeletons march closely behind with the necromancers. The vamp goes with the knights who have killing blow and can move through buildings etc..They normally wait for the zombies to engage then flank and roll the line up. The necromancers + vampire spam signature necromancy spell adding 2d6 + lv to everything within 6 inches and the zombies + skeletons can go above starting lv. He then tends to give zombies reroll to hit + wound which usually means 17 hits, 9-10 wounds vs toughness 4 + ranks + std. On a good magic phase he can get 4d6 + 4 zombies to each unit from the 3 mages with 1 of the spells dispelled. If you concentrate on stopping those spells he gets 1 off usually which is still 2d6 +3 to each unit within 6 inches except the black knights. You cannot get to the necromancers without breaking a zombie horde first ( we are playing on 4 by 4 boards) Unless you break a horde in a turn it will be back via raising next turn.
Trolls vs 40 zombie horde without rerolls for zombies
Trolls hit simultaneously
Trolls 12 hits, 10 wounds +6 stomps = 5 wounds = 15 total wound + 1 for charging = 16
zombies 10 hits, 4 wounds - regen = 2 + 2 ranks + std =5
zombies lose a further 11 down to 14 but will regain a least 10- 20 in is magic phase or he will get reroll to hit + wound. With rerolls it gets much worse for the trolls. similar results for the orcs but no stomps.All the while the cav is geting ready to flank you + skeletons are getting bigger. I have manage to win so far by mass chariot charge breaking a zombie unit and overruning into skeletons then the manglers + snotling wagon taking out the knights. You have to concentrate on stopping the create new unit spell and just let him raise to his starting units or the chariots get stopped and the fanatics get released early. Any ideas. I think if the lobber gets a direct hit it cleans out 11 on average from the zombies but unless you do it followed by a poor magic phase for him they are raised back.

Last edited by nandron; 03-09-12 at 07:44 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-12, 10:40 AM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Have you started the campaign yet? If not swap out Ruby Ring, Lobba and 2 Goblins for Level 2 Upgrade and Doom Diver (more accurate) as remember there is no template its the goblin that you place as a marker plus re rolling scatter dice helps as well.

Maybe consider AHW on the Big Uns rather then shields as I have gone survivor mode rather then bash things in the face and then stamp on their face.

.....So to win you need to take out both Necromancers, hit the unit with the Lobba?Doom Diver obviously as often as you can so that his magic phase is all about rebuilding. Talking about magic maybe consider sticking with the signiture spell (Sneaky Stabbing, armour piercing is not that useful BUT if you hit a unit in the flank or rear you can re roll to hit and to wound rolls unless you roll something more useful such as Itchy Nuisance (hamper his movement) for more turns of lobba hits. Hell even the worst spell (IMHO) Vindictive Glare could be useful to you in this battle (3D6 S3 Hits Boosted)

Other then that tie down the Zombies with your Trolls, he can only really protect one flank with the Black Knights so I'd throw the chaff at them, if you get it right you could effectively run them around all game (fingers crossed) the Goblins also tie down zombies and with some useful Fanatic Rolls and placement you can do some real damage (they may even go through the skele's. Big Uns try and get into the Skeletons flank.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Armylists > Orcs and Goblins Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode