2.5k Ogre smash and mash... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-12, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Takana77's Flag is: USA

Default 2.5k Ogre smash and mash...

Toying around with empire lists and got to thinking about a 4th army to get into all over again. Last summer was dwelling alot on VC or WoC for quite awhile but other things like that annoying and overburdensome RL became an obstruction. Now thinking perhaps OK again to go with empire/dwarfs(dwarves)/O&G so i'd wind up with empire+dorfs vs. O&G+OK

2,500 Points - Ogre Kingdoms (2,496)

Lords: 388 Points (15.52%)
Slaughtermaster - Lvl 4, Dispell Scroll, Sword of Might, Ironfist, Armour of Destiny, Ironcurse Icon

Heroes: 608 Points (24.32%)
Hunter - Stonehorn, Harpoon Launcher, Talisman of Endurance
Bruiser - BSB, HA, Ironfist, Warrior Bane, Talisman of Preservation

Core: 880 Points (35.20%)
Ogres x11 - SB, Bellower, Ironfists
Ironguts x11 - SB, Bellower, Standard of Discipline

Special: 452 Points (18.08%)
Mournfang Cavalry x3 - SB, Bellower, HA, Ironfists, Dragonhide Banner
Leadebelchers x4

Rare: 170 Points (6.80%)
Ironblaster

- Thinking I could use the arabian maneater with a lil' bit of conversion would work representation wise (WYSIWYG) for what I took for wargear.

- Could perhaps swap the leadbelchers for a 2nd ironblaster?

- Is harpoon on hunter worth it or should stick with great throwing spear and maybe nab an enchanted shield instead (3+/5++ would be worthwhile)? Sorry, but I just love that model hehe

- I thought about having some maneaters in there (HA/ironfist/ogre pistol/banner of swiftness/swiftstride/strider) but not really sure where to begin on conversions.

Oh well, C&C, suggestions, advice, etc. are always appreciated...

Thanks,

Tak

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-12, 06:57 AM

blackspine's Flag is: USA

quick note
the iron blaster is one of the best things out there. Its rules are fantastic, the cannon shoots like a boss, and it's no slouch in combat.

and it's dirt cheap.

I'd take 2.

Think about losing the hunter. Lots of points to shave into a second cannon and DOGS. those damn dogs are HUGE for ogres.
deployment, movment, redirection etc.

Think about a Look out gnoblar

Maybe those blocks are too big. I don't know ogres very well, but damn, they don't have many units. If you can free up 1-2 out of each unit, you'll have more to tinker with.

best of luck. Leadbelchers + 2 ironblasters makes me cry sad emo tears of sadness.

Fury, Gore and Ruin

http://thenerdalsorises.wordpress.com/
-Beastmen 72-4-13
- Druchii 15-1-7 (rip)
- Rusted Ruin; WoC 25-3-8
- Chaos Dwarves: TBD
- Ogres: ?

Last edited by blackspine; 02-19-12 at 07:03 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-12, 07:36 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Oh, your one of those ogre players... the type willing to put armour on a SM.
... I think that may be a typical reaction you'll get from many players. The FAQ may allow you to do it, but it suggests you don't (it was an obvious error and I have no idea why they didn't just slap it down).

Personally I would swap the armour of destiny and talisman of preservation. It'll cost you warrior bane (and free up 5pts on the SM that I would use for a rock eye) but its a much better 'feeling' army.

The units are a good size, and I expect you are going to run 4 wide, 3 deep which is a good formation fro ogres but the irongut unit will be very expensive. Personally I would drop them down to 7 (with character) and use them more selectively. Those points then give you either a couple more mournfang or mebbe a second unit if you can find a few more: mournfang are great but with only Ld7 and a tendency to be away from general/BSB after turn 1-2 they tend to panic very easily. Units of 5-6 can take a few casualties before that becomes an issue...

The hunter is an iffy one. Its not a great unit and there isn't that much point having a hunter sitting on a stonehorn except to increase its Ld to 9 when away from the center of the table... but if you like the model go for it. I would drop the harpoon though- you want to be marching/charging so its not that great: if you wanted an upgraded shooting weapon I would take the vulture... but I don't think its worth it still. Personally I would give him a great weapon instead (I3 isn't exactly shining) and be strong enough to really go after enemy monsters or very good armour saves...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-12, 12:29 PM

Turnip86's Flag is: England

The hunter is situational at best with the bolt thrower. Saying that I have had fun with it, when I parked the hunter on my opponents' flank and then proceeded to take out an entire rank of archers that were facing off against something that was considered nastier.
But that's not going to happen very often so unless you really like the idea of having a hunter the points could be spent better elsewhere.

Maybe bump up the numbers of the mournfang unit (you'll end up with 4 anyway if you buy the boxes) as they'll likely take some wounds from shooting or magic on the way in so the more that make it to the enemy the better.

And as mentioned by everyone else, Ironblasters are great. Move-and-fire-cannon-chariot. What could be better ;)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-12, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
Oh, your one of those ogre players... the type willing to put armour on a SM.
... I think that may be a typical reaction you'll get from many players. The FAQ may allow you to do it, but it suggests you don't (it was an obvious error and I have no idea why they didn't just slap it down).
Yeah I've heard of folks refusing to play against an OK army that had an SM with some armour just because (and it was a WoC tzeentcher too, lol hypocrite). Took Glittering Scales and will regard it like empire wizards in armour of tarnus, but more like a cloak perhaps. Thinking I'd use the gutsman model for this SM anyways so maybe do a little greenstuff on his hood to be a bit representational (I do like his model, points for him tho are sadly a bit much like the other named uniques).

So the hunter on stonehorn is a one trick pony deal? /sadpanda

I do like the mournfang so bumped them up to 6 (3 boxes). Yeah they have a 7L but was probably going to keep them close to charge a flank that the ironguts just hit home on. But with 6x can go off and do their own thing now.

Ok so shuffled things around.

2,500 Ogre Kingdoms #2 - (2,496 Points)

Lords: 395 Points (15.80%)
Slaughtermaster - Lvl 4, Dispell Scroll, GW, Glittering Scales, Ironcurse Icon, Talisman of Preservation, Lore of Gut Maw

Heroes: 189 Points (7.56%)
Bruiser - BSB, Armour of Destiny, Ironfist, Lookout Gnoblar

Core: 713 Points (28.52%)
Ogres x11 - SB, Bellower, Ironfists
Ironguts x7 - SB, Bellower, Standard of Discipline, Lookout Gnoblar

Special: 859 Points (34.36%)
Mournfang Cavalry x6 - SB, Bellower, HA, Ironfists, Dragonhide Banner
Leadbelchers x4 - Bellower
Leadbelchers x4 - Bellower

Rare: 340 Points (13.60%)
Ironblaster
Ironblaster

- Should I keep the mournfang at 6 or drop a couple (could add in some mobile dangerous terrain if so)?

- Bellowers worth it on the leadbelchers?

- Since I don't have any magical weapons now, should I swap the discipline banner for eternal flame banner so I have atleast something vs fire (so atleast theres something in the mix that is not a mundane attack) or go with Razor Banner maybe?

- That rock eye is neat, but everything in an OK army is a fire magnet so I'll keep that ironcurse icon.

Oh well, C&C, suggestions, advice, etc. are always appreciated!

And thanks for all the info & insight already posted,

Tak

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-12, 03:17 PM
WFB Moderator

Looks pretty solid as it is. The bellowers in the leadbelchers are certainly needed: they allow you to maneuver to shoot enemies that get behind you, which is something ogres normally lack.

You could put the stonehorn back in as a rare choice if you could find the points. I love mine for sheer smashiness. A rare choice stonehorn is almost as killy as a hunter stonehorn but its massively cheaper and doesn't lose its rider the first time it gets hit by a cannon. In fact if you are using 2 ironblasters having a cannon-magnet to run straight at the enemy to draw fire can't be a bad plan, especially when it'll survive much longer.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-12, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
You could put the stonehorn back in as a rare choice if you could find the points. I love mine for sheer smashiness. A rare choice stonehorn is almost as killy as a hunter stonehorn but its massively cheaper and doesn't lose its rider the first time it gets hit by a cannon. In fact if you are using 2 ironblasters having a cannon-magnet to run straight at the enemy to draw fire can't be a bad plan, especially when it'll survive much longer.
See this make me a /happypanda. LOL, I just love that stonehorn model hehe.

2,500 Points - Ogre Kingdoms #3 (2,500)

Lords: 370 Points (14.80%)
Slaughtermaster - Lvl 4, Dispell Scroll, Lore of Gut Maw, GW, Talisman of Preservation, Ironcurse Icon

Heroes: 189 Points (7.56%)
Bruiser - BSB, Armour of Destiny, Ironfist, Lookout Gnoblar

Core: 718 Points (28.72%)
Ogres x11 - SB, Bellower, Ironfists, Lookout Gnoblar
Ironguts x7 - SB, Bellower, Standard of Discipline, Lookout Gnoblar

Special: 633 Points (25.32%)
Mournfang Cavalry x4 - SB, Bellower, Crusher, HA, Ironfists, Lookout Gnoblar, Dragonhide Banner
Leadbelchers x6 - Bellower

Rare: 590 Points (23.60%)
Stonehorn
Ironblaster
Ironblaster

- This version I'm really happy with for lots of reasons (won't find some chaos sorceror crying about armour, my SM is still lvl 4 with a dispell scroll, and stonehorn in there - yeah!).

- Although the harpoon is cool, guessing I should keep the chaintrap on the storehorn rider because it wants to get up close and personal?

- Had 10 points left over that really couldn't spend anywhere else so took crusher for the mournfang for an extra attack so meh hehe.

- Still going to use gutsman model with some greenstuff for my SM hehe.

- Could drop the gnoblar in the ogres block and drop the GW on SM to take sword of might so theres a magic weapon in the mix?

Thanks for all the input!

Tak

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-12, 04:48 PM
WFB Moderator

Don't forget you have the dragonhide banner to help you take out 1 ethereal enemy unit.

I think the list is pretty solid as it is, only things I would change are to drop the crusher and look out gnoblars off the BSB, bull unit and mournfang (illegal anyway) and grab a <20pt magic weapon for the SM. Sword of might is ok though you don't really need it (especially since if in need you can just cast bullgorger). Instead I would probably go for the sword of striking: it'll help you even the odds against enemy characters' higher WS and mean that if you do run into any ethereals you mush through them pretty effectively. The last 10pts could be spent giving the leadbelchers a champion: not really worthwhile for most units but you can always throw a few wounds on him after you lose a model (splitting wounds around to keep more guns firing).

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-12, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Good call. I hadn't noticed that, but you're right, on pg 93 they can't take a gnoblar and nothing in current faq either. An option error in AB program unfortunately hmmm.

So by dropping the mournfang crusher & lookout, bull lookout, and sm gw; can pick up sword of swift slaying & ironfist for sm. Probably will use that arabian maneater than. Left the lookouts on the bruiser and irongut sb since they are important banners.

Thanks,

Tak

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-12, 06:44 PM
WFB Moderator

It depends on where you are going to put your characters. If they are in the ironguts then you'll want a LoG, but in the bulls you don't need it: if you've taken the 7 casualties to drop the bulls low enough to need the LoG and still haven't reached combat then things are going fairly badly already.
If the plan is to put the BSB with the Ironguts then you won't need 2 LoG anyway in the same unit and you should just take the one on the unit (since the unit banner cannot fail a look out sir roll and eat a cannonball).

Personally I normally take a unit of 15 bulls with a butcher and don't bother with the LoG... I've never been under 5 bulls and hit by artillery (or even close). That's not to say I've not lost the unit before... but when I have its been through combat or panic.

Last edited by Tim/Steve; 02-19-12 at 07:02 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Armylists > Ogre Kingdoms Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode