NFL Lockout. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-11, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Default NFL Lockout.

I'm not a huge fan of American football, but my interest has been piqued by the whole lockout business. From what I can gather, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the owners want to take the league back from what they believe are overpaid players.

So, can any of our American members shed some light on this? Do I have the right of it, and does there look to be a resolution? I know the season doesn't start till September, so why is it such a big deal now, 6 months ahead of the season kickoff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-11, 10:50 PM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

the NFL is a 9 BILLION dollar a year business.

currently in the CBA the owners/league take 1B off the top & the players then get 59.5% (if i recall) of the now 8 billion.

basically the owners want to increase the regular season an additional 2 games (to 18) and take an additional billion off the top due to "lack of profits" so basically the owners want the players to work longer and take a pay cut.

the players do not like idea & so they dissolved the union (allowing individual players to sue the union since they are not allowed to work) and are taking the case to court.

net result (my opinion) the Judge will rule in favor of the players in approximately 6 months so next season (2011-2012) will fall under the previous CBA....if the now dissolved union & the owners come to an agreement in between now & then then the everything bar the lawsuit will be fine.

but basically the NFL has a chance of having NO season next year...as do a couple of other professional sports in the US (namely the NBA - basketball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-11, 11:00 PM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

I hope they just say screw you, play with the players who will play and get replacements for those who will not (ala The Replacements).
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-11, 11:07 PM
Craw-Daddy

Its not really about play persae. Its just that compared to many sports its the most contact of the sports. Thus, there are less games do to injury.

I believe they want to increase the games from 16 a season to 19 or 20. So the league can get more cash from the games.

I think its something they've been planning for, for quite a while. They first tried to target players for big hitting. Especially my main man James Harrison.

The big problem with trying to increase the games is injury. I mean if you follow any team, you see how beat up some of these teams get during the playoffs.

This superbowl this year may have been the worst one in that terms. (All the injuries) on many teams.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-11, 03:43 AM

Davidicus 40k's Flag is: USA

Players are not going to approve of the proposed 18 game schedule. As ck said, players already get beat up by the 11th or 12th game and the more regular season games they play, the better chance there is of them getting a serious injury that would knock them out of the playoffs. Furthermore, the last 2 games would be crap because any coach with half a brain who is getting into the playoffs would bench his top players, so they don't get hurt. Two games of second- and third- string players? Why pay for that when you can see it for free (preseason)?

As for the Collective Bargaining Agreement, basically, the players feel they aren't getting paid enough and the owners need more money for "overhead" and operating costs. Both sides are acting like children, but neither will let there be a lockout. Too much money at stake.

"Consequence of Mercy" - Written for KingOfCheese
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-11, 10:56 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

16 Games a season, and they're paid, what? $100K a week?

Christ, I'd play 52 games, 104, 208, 365 for that.

Tell them to do a proper job, and see how lucky they are.

I thought Football (proper football, mind) players were soft, but they play in excess of 50.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-11, 11:26 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

16 games WTF????? what do the teams do for the other 9 months of the year?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-11, 11:36 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Peyton manning makes $23m a year or $442k a week. That does not include bonuses like making or winning a superbowl.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-11, 11:51 AM

VanitusMalus's Flag is: Australia

or endorsement deals which brings in millions
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-11, 01:07 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Honking filthy. Yeah, it's the public paying, rather than the Taxpayer which is a major difference, but when people who go out to conflicts for year long tours are earning, what? American Privates is, $16K after tax? And they play Football for 8 hours a year, to get $23m? Fuck that. I suppose they all wear the equivalent of "support our troops", and go to fundraisers, yet they could purchase a fucking Merlin Helo, and still have more money than a Platoon will earn in a year.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

Last edited by Vaz; 03-19-11 at 01:11 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode