whats with the "holidays" thing ? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-24-10, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default whats with the "holidays" thing ?

Ok, as an Englishman i always refer to this time of year as "Christmas", Use phrases like Merry Christmas,happy christmas, it makes sense to wish people a happy christmas, being as thats what we are celebrating/honoring Christ etc.

So whats with the whole "Happy Holidays"? whats the origin/reason for that?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-24-10, 10:42 AM

Cocakoala's Flag is: United Kingdom

My guess is for those people who dont celebrate christmas due to religion or something but still get the holiday from school/ work.

Go on just click the little guy you know you want to
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-24-10, 10:43 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Because not everyone believe in Christ and this is a time of the year with a lot of holidays, thus Happy Holidays!
post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-24-10, 11:03 AM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

its retarded political correctness so as not to offend the many morons in the world who find the word "christmas" offensive, due to stupid beliefs/religion/whatever BS they can make up.

I say shove your happy holidays and save them for actual holidays, this is christmas, live with it.

post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-24-10, 11:16 AM
The Apathetic one.

comrade's Flag is: Former Soviet Union

I say merry Christmas, some douche wants to complain about it my reply will consist of "Well.... have a shitty day then."

post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-24-10, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinn24 View Post
Because not everyone believe in Christ and this is a time of the year with a lot of holidays, thus Happy Holidays!
I understand that some people dont do "Christmas" but generally the people wishing people "happy holidays" do and i expect that the vast majority of those being wished happy holidays do also celebrate it.

So whats its origin? It always felt very American and as the US is a christian country,more so than Britain in many respects, it seems strange to adopt a political correct Christmas message/slogan.
We have gone through a few years of media fueled "anti Christmas" story's of local councils/companies allegedly trying to remove the term "Christmas" so not to offend religious minorities,is Happy Holidays part of the same thing?

Also it does not translate too well, in the UK holiday is time off work or what the US refers to as "Vacation" so "happy holidays" would statistically be in summer

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON

Last edited by bitsandkits; 12-24-10 at 11:43 AM.
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-24-10, 11:47 AM

Fire Lord's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente View Post
its retarded political correctness so as not to offend the many morons in the world who find the word "christmas" offensive, due to stupid beliefs/religion/whatever BS they can make up.

I say shove your happy holidays and save them for actual holidays, this is christmas, live with it.
Strangely, I agree with Stella. Bunch of cry babies(mostly stinking democrats in the U.S.) too worried about people and their feelings on their sleeves, ruining Christmas for the rest of us. This probably should be in the politics section, but it's the only was I feel I can explain. They feel you can't express your beliefs, as that would infringe on others rights. America used to be based on christian values, but as more and more crooked and retarded/insane people get in office, the more they destroy the base that our founders spilt their blood for. I'll say merrry christmas, and anybody who don't like it can leave, it's a free country. MERRY CHRISTMAS everybody, and Happy New Year.

It's funny when you state a fact to the haters. They always bite.
Haters gonna hate.
Born FREE, Live FREE, Die FREE. No substitute. Never surrender.

Last edited by Fire Lord; 12-24-10 at 11:56 AM.
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-24-10, 11:54 AM

It's really very self-explainatory, I'd imagine. This is an important time of the year for many religions, cultures and families. Not everyone is a Christian who celebrates Christmas, and winter festivites have been around MUCH longer than Christianity. Most defined holidays like it are evolutions of previous observances that have been filtered through a variety of dominant religions. So saying 'Happy Holidays' is concidered the polite thing to say in an ambiguous sense.

Walking up to a Muslim or a Jew and wishing them a merry Christmas would be kind of ignorant. As for the time and location of this gesture, wording aside, I don't think it is really pinpointable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente View Post

Do you just come to Heresy-Online to troll, or something?
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-24-10, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmstrom View Post
Walking up to a Muslim or a Jew and wishing them a merry Christmas would be kind of ignorant. As for the time and location of this gesture, wording aside, I don't think it is really pinpointable.
This would make logical sense, but a number of recent opinion poles have been taken of people in religious minorities in the UK who are offended that our local governments would try to remove Christian religious meaning from the holiday season on there behalf, and actually alot of non christians enjoy the Christmas well wishing because it allows them to be included in the festivities after all the message of christmas is peace and goodwill to all men, not just to those who are christian.

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-24-10, 12:32 PM

Bindi Baji's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmstrom View Post
Walking up to a Muslim or a Jew and wishing them a merry Christmas would be kind of ignorant.
and yet in the past three or four days numerous muslim friends and a hindu friend have said merry xmas to me, if I said happy holidays to them I would very likely get told i'm weird

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode