Why don't Online Stores work in real-time? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Why don't Online Stores work in real-time?

So I order some stuff from a website. It has a little green circle next to it (some of you might guess what store I am referring to here) indicating that what I want is in stock and ready to be shipped. I order it.

Nothing arrives within 6 days (I ordered this stuff last week) so I check the site again. The status of my order is "awaiting stock".

Here's the great part - I check their shop and the products I am waiting for are all still marked as "In stock, ready to be shipped"!

Several points:

- Why the fuck is stock marked as being available when it clearly isn't?
- Why haven't I been told that my order will take longer than the promised "1-6 days"? It still hasn't been dispatched, so it's going to take at least another 4 days to reach me...
- Why is the stock still marked as being totally available when it clearly is not, 6 days after they have apparantly run out of stock?

In this day and age is it really still impossible for the webstore to be updated any time someone buys something online? Can you not link it somehow so that when someone clicks "Buy 1x Box of Product" and pays for it, the amount of stock available on your webstore goes down by 1? And if someone buys the last box the "Availability" icon goes from Green to Red or Blue?

That doesn't sound too hard to me, but I don't know anything about webstore programming, so for all I know it might be impossible to achieve. Can someone tell me why, if that is the case?

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 03:15 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

most do work in real time, but also in real life including companies shit happens, resulting in stock shortages, wrong deliveries, damaged stock or any other realistic reason for your order to be instock one moment and not in the next.

I used to work in stock control and its almost impossible to achieve 100% stock accuracy, i opened a super market and we managed to have stock errors between stock getting delivered and before any customers had entered the building.Literally lost into thin air ??

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON

Last edited by bitsandkits; 12-11-10 at 03:18 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

I know that yours works in real-time because I was having to race against someone else who was buying up Hellion bits when you first stocked them!

It just seems strange that a non-food mostly-web-based store (I worked in retail for years so I know how bad food stock situations can get) can lose that much stock.

I'm not even that upset about the delay (although if it doesn't arrive before Xmas when I ordered it on the 4th there will be WORDS and possibly GESTURES aimed at them), I'd just appreciate a notice saying "Sorry there was a mixup, we do not in fact have the items, would you like to wait a week or cancel your order?" or something...

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 04:02 PM
Must keep painting....

squeek's Flag is: United Kingdom

It is annoying, but bear in mind a lot of distributors are having trouble with back logs from all the bad weather recently. Perhaps it is as simple as they thought they would have some by now but it is stuck in Glasgow waiting for a thousand other things to be delivered first.

Having said that, there is no excuse for not being courteous enough to let you know what is going on. That fucks me right off too.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 04:30 PM

Flindo's Flag is: Canada

this site just sounds lazy to me, thats why if I do order stuff, I always order it from mini war gaming, they are always reliable.

Warhammer:Skaven 9000 points, Lizardmen 1250 points
Warmachine:Dwarves 261 points, Trolls 125 points Gatormen 174 points
Malifaux: Gremlins 100 Soul Stones
Infinity: Morats 1400 points, Shasvastii 600 points
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 04:56 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Im waiting on a snow shovel which i ordered 3 weeks ago from Amazon market place, several emails later and still nothing, not even a reply. I know, worst thing is all the snows gone, so when it does arrive its just gonna get shoved in the shed for an undetermined length of time!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
Im waiting on a snow shovel which i ordered 3 weeks ago from Amazon market place, several emails later and still nothing, not even a reply. I know, worst thing is all the snows gone, so when it does arrive its just gonna get shoved in the shed for an undetermined length of time!
how could amazon be that disorganised, they are usually good with shipping.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 05:27 PM

Bindi Baji's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flindo View Post
how could amazon be that disorganised, they are usually good with shipping.
it's amazon marketplace, ie people selling through amazon and not amazon themselves

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 05:35 PM
LTP

LTP's Flag is: England

I think I know which shop you are on about and I have had the same problem. I ordered something in April and still have not received it. There has been several email and notices sent to them to resolve it but I keep getting."2 more weeks.."

If the store is large I can understand that keeping track of stock can be hard but would an email telling you that it will be delayed be that hard to send?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 05:40 PM

Id kinda like to know what store this is so I dont accidently purchase from them lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode