UK Tuition Increase - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-10-10, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

IntereoVivo's Flag is: Ghana

Default UK Tuition Increase

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe...est/index.html

Hey Folks,

Wondering what people's thoughts were about the UK's plans to increase tuition costs for Uni.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-10-10, 06:43 PM

They can take their increases and shove them up their fat arses.

Why should people without the money to go to university be stopped from going?

Don't give me rep, just poke My Bum ... and then give me rep.
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-10-10, 06:59 PM
Slave to Heresy!
Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpain Rich View Post
They can take their increases and shove them up their fat arses.

Why should people without the money to go to university be stopped from going?
At the risk of sounding stupid...

because they can't afford it?

Something along these lines..

Customer - "I want the PS3 please, here's 20"
Shopkeeper - "No, its 250 pounds old chap, stump up or bugger orf"
Customer - "This isn't fair! I want a PS3"
Shopkeeper - "errm"
post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-10-10, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

IntereoVivo's Flag is: Ghana

I'm wondering mainly because 9.5 thousand pounds is about $16K here in the US.

$16,000 a year is quite cheap. I and a lot of my friends paid that much a semester to go to Uni.

Is there something I don't know about undergrad in the UK?

post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-10-10, 07:14 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well it's currently about 3,000 ($4,800) per year in the UK for tuition and it's rare you can get a scholarship for any reason, so tripling the cost isn't fantastically helpful.
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-10-10, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
At the risk of sounding stupid...

because they can't afford it?

Something along these lines..

Customer - "I want the PS3 please, here's 20"
Shopkeeper - "No, its 250 pounds old chap, stump up or bugger orf"
Customer - "This isn't fair! I want a PS3"
Shopkeeper - "errm"
A ps3 is different to an education. Thought that would be obvious but ok...

Don't give me rep, just poke My Bum ... and then give me rep.
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-10-10, 07:29 PM
Must keep painting....

squeek's Flag is: United Kingdom

It's a shit idea. No-one needs to start their working life with that much debt, even before getting a mortgage. Under this new system suggested:

If you are rich, no need for a loan, no debt, no above inflation repayments.
If you are poor, subsidies and grants apply (yet to see much detail), small debt, relatively small repayments.

Whereas, if you fall in to the middle, which a large part of the population of England do, then you have a huge loan, massive debt and if you are lucky enough to get a half decent job you pay above the rate of inflation for it.

Now I am not suggesting everyone and anyone should get free higher education necessarily (since the daily fail and some of the other rags seem to equate disagreement with sponging lefty...), but I find it a bit fucking rich that the people making these decisions are all of the following:

- People who got their degrees for free (loans came in, in 1998 under Labour decided by people who universally did not pay a penny for their degrees).
- People who are a lot wealthier than the average citizen and therefore aren't effected, who generally can afford to support Timothy and Verity when they choose to piss about at Oxford for a few years.
- The same cunts that made education so wet and all embracing that everyone and anyone goes to uni, often for a doss on half-baked courses that should probably in all reality not be a degree course in the first place. Then all of a sudden "education is too expensive and damn it these kids better start paying through the nose for it".

Is it really surprising that higher education costs the country so much when you can get on to degree courses with pretty poor qualifications, "studying" subjects that didn't exist (for a good reason) a decade ago and spend as little time as possible actually learning with the paltry contact time most places offer now?

The UK isn't the US either so some newspapers columnists saying "the US copes with high costs" doesn't cut it really. In the UK you need a degree to do a large number of jobs, jobs that really shouldn't ask for a degree but do because everyone and their dog has one. In the UK there are very little in the way of true subsidies for less affluent students compared to the US; we just don't get the big money scholarships you guys do.

What they are looking at doing is restricting the numbers of would be university go'ers not by ability or intelligence, or any other academic quality. But by pricing most people out of it, making it a system that favours rich families and a lucky few who qualify for help yet still costing the taxpayer money.

To my mind doing a worthwhile degree (subjective but most people would agree that there are plenty of less worthwhile courses about currently) should take brains, be hard work and not cost the fucking moon. Plenty of the degrees about currently could be vocational courses or just shorter diplomas, etc. Let's face it, if you can learn something in 3 years at an average of 10-12 hours a week, you can learn it in 2 years and still not break a sweat. It would also go some way to making vocational skills more what they used to be instead of dressing them up as degrees and benefiting no-one. Yes I am looking at you 3 year degree in Hairdressing Management.
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-10-10, 07:49 PM
Slave to Heresy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpain Rich View Post
A ps3 is different to an education. Thought that would be obvious but ok...
haha the point stands.

Why the fuck should they not pay to go?

Tuition fees need paying, materials, building upkeep, maintenance etc. Who do you suggest pays? The government? Once upon a time an education was worth the paper it was written on, nowadays with every other school leaver going to uni for a piss up they fucking should pay.

It's obvious really, 50% of the workforce don't start working until they hit 24 or more... thats less tax going to the government. They can't afford to pay for 4 year piss ups. Good decision, cough the fuck up or go to work and stop tossing it off with worthless degrees that mean nothing.

Quote:
To my mind doing a worthwhile degree (subjective but most people would agree that there are plenty of less worthwhile courses about currently) should take brains, be hard work and not cost the fucking moon.
From what I've seen (and the people that hold degrees) a stuffed teddy bear could pass pretty much any subject you bothered to carry it into. I know total retards who hold degrees, people who couldn't even piss without getting their trousers wet.
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-10-10, 07:54 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
haha the point stands.

Why the fuck should they not pay to go?

Tuition fees need paying, materials, building upkeep, maintenance etc. Who do you suggest pays? The government?

Once upon a time an education was worth the paper it was written on, nowadays with every other school leaver going to uni for a piss up they fucking should pay.

It's obvious really, 50% of the workforce don't start working until they hit 24 or more... thats less tax going to the government. They can't afford to pay for 4 year piss ups.

Good decision, cough the fuck up or go to work.
Personally I don't think it should be based on how much money you have but on how smart/motivated you are (i.e teachers should have the ability to determine whether a student would be capable of completing a valid degree even if their results might suggest otherwise- late bloomers etc).

If some one falls into the wide bracket of being unable to afford university because they're not rich or poor enough BUT they're obviously intelligent then that should be the reason that gets them into University not whether daddy can afford to hire a new maid or not.
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-10-10, 07:58 PM
Slave to Heresy!

Quote:
If some one falls into the wide bracket of being unable to afford university because they're not rich or poor enough BUT they're obviously intelligent then that should be the reason that gets them into University not whether daddy can afford to hire a new maid or not.
In a perfect world yes.

But unfortunately every fucker wants to stay on at uni these days. Often for a knees up and laziness than the desire to learn.

If these slackers were fucked off and the ability to pass a degree was based on intellect perhaps the government would be in a position to pay for those left? Like squeek said, get rid of the pointless courses, make the entrance requisites more difficult and spend the money on the bright people. Not the facebook whores who spend more time posting their uni parties than they do learning.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode