Ever feel guilty? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-07, 12:58 AM

Elchimpster's Flag is: USA

I've found that losing can be a good teacher, but in learning, the student needs to have a chance to win in order to keep going.

From my own experience, the best method is to play at approximately 10% above the student's level. That way they'll have to improve a bit to win. If they win, then they've earned it.

The bad thing is, I see guys at the Game stores play new guys with army lists that are really far superior to what the new guy has. Nuking the new guy over and over really doesn't teach them anything. Even if you simply show them how to min-max their lists, if they don't get a "cookie" once in a while, they'll stop playing (which is what drives a lot of folks away from the game).

In RPG terms, they have something called "Social Contract". This is where the players come to an agreement before playing as far as their expectations. In Warhammer terms, this would likely be something like "Friendly" or "Competitive".

If you are an experienced player, and you are playing an unknown, possibly new player, then I would recommend talking with them, getting an idea of their skill set and adjusting your plan of attack accordingly. If they are new, then maybe it's a good time to goof off a little, try some dumb ideas, and don't necessarily gut the poor fool by deep striking those termies right behind his elemental and bodyguard. Give em a break. If you win, cool. If the newbie wins...hey! Good for them! Both had fun.

If you find you are up against somebody your own caliber, by all means, rock their world.

My recommendation though, for pretty much everyone who plays any kind of game, is to talk about the game a bit in advance and see what the opponent is ready for. Although it's a competitive game, it's also a competitive game and fun for both players should be a priority.

I think as long as an attempt is made to ensure both players have fun, there should be no reason to ever feel bad about winning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-07, 01:12 AM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

I love crushing the hearts and souls of Children, I love the sound of them crying after being totally CRUSHED THERE HEARTS STOP AS THEY REALIZE THAT WINNING IS impossible, I really do love it.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-07, 01:50 AM

Elchimpster's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente
I love crushing the hearts and souls of Children, I love the sound of them crying after being totally CRUSHED THERE HEARTS STOP AS THEY REALIZE THAT WINNING IS impossible, I really do love it.
Just wondering...how old are you?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-07, 03:59 AM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

Me?, oh I'm 18 lol, I just never feel guilty, I love beating people hehe.

oh its also fun to watch grown men cry, so how can I regret anything, when its all so much fun

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-07, 08:22 AM

Because one day you'll find someone else like you but better, and have the choice between realising that you're being horrendously immature and are compensating for some deep-seated sense of self-doubt, or be forced to admit that you're nowhere near as good as you'd like to think you are.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-07, 09:36 PM
Warboss Dakka's Flag is: USA

I have a different personality than most I suspect, but if I found someone was downplaying their abilities to be kind to me in a game, I would be annoyed at the very least. I play to win, but will not stop playing because I lose, no matter how often I lose. I always want my opponent to try their hardest to beat me, that way I will never win because someone went easy on me. Victories against someone who is not playing their hardest don't seem like victories to me. When teaching someone new, I will crush them totally and unceremoniously, but will take time afterwards to talk out the game with them. Hopefully the tricks I teach them will help them in their games against other new players, allowing them to accrue victories on their own merit instead of against a slacking opponent. If I can, I will pair them up with someone of equal ability and watch the game, then talk with them both afterwards.

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-07, 10:22 PM

torealis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberschveinen
Because one day you'll find someone else like you but better, and have the choice between realising that you're being horrendously immature and are compensating for some deep-seated sense of self-doubt, or be forced to admit that you're nowhere near as good as you'd like to think you are.
inscisive. i love this guy.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-07, 11:36 PM

See, angry people? Like Dakka, you can actually play hard without being hyperbolic or cruel. I just don't get what people find enjoyable about 'achieving' something around as difficult as tying your shoelaces.

As for me, it depends on what I'm doing, and how hard it is. In 40K, I'll make a list that's interesting and at least a little new, and then play it as hard as I can, with maybe one or two breaks from optimum strategy for sheer fun factor. For example, the time my Shooty Templars (ZOMG) had advanced halfway across the table and shot up half of the Ork army, only to realise that the twenty man Ork Slugga squad had mobbed up into something like forty. Knowing hat I was completely bollocksed if it ever got into combat, I ran away with great honour, but charged my Champion into the squad. Sure, he lived for two turns before being completely surrounded, but it was far too characteristic of the Templars for me not to do it. Both players knew that I wasn't playing my best, but everyone who saw it agreed it was the best thing all day.

I'll play other games rather differently. Most FPS games in which I'm actually playing with somebody, I'll scale the seriousness to match the situation. If, say, I'm bollocksing about in UT2K4 Assault, I really couldn't care overly much about strategy, as long as nobody's doing anything outrageously stupid. On the other hand, something like Gears of War on Insane in one of the huge firefights that kill you pretty much every time, I have been known to yell at heads.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-07, 09:47 AM

I suppose It depends on the environment I'm playing In, If I'm kicking some Kid Into the ground at the local store I'll generally give him advice mid game about certain moves he should be making or general units/upgrades he could maybe look Into. By doing this If the overall level of play Is raised and the kid takes something from the game, It's been productive and I don't feel so guilty! :oops:
If I'm playing at a tournament If the other guy Is getting a beating and getting disheartend I'll still play to win but still try to remain courteous/polite and try to throw In a little bit of banter to liven up the atmosphere and make the game more enjoyable for both parties. Again at the end of the game again I'll generally have a chat with my opponent and review the game with the what If's, If only's and all that over a pint or two at Bugmans! :D
After all theres always the most sporting award up for grabs!

''I Beard therefore I am!''

LongBeard (AKA Bennetio!)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode