Racism: Do you experience it? - Page 8 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 141 (permalink) Old 06-07-10, 04:49 AM
moo

moo's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Jack View Post
I think being misantropic is actually worse than being misoginist or racist. The problem is not the injustice : it's the hate.

Not everyone agree thought.
Shouldn't always take things on forums so seriously. Especially when joking smiley faces are added.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 141 (permalink) Old 06-07-10, 06:24 AM
Feed

Quote:
I don't understand how being misantropic prevent you in any way from thinking misantropia is wrong. I must say, the fact that you think that way is even much much worse than misantropia itself.
Misanthropia is not wrong. It is an opinion, as valid as any other. You don`t have to understand. I could tell you all about myself (don`t worry I won`t) and you might be horrified by the way I think, but it will not change me. I do not believe my opinions are worth more than anyone else`s, just as I don`t think theirs are worth more than mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo View Post
Shouldn't always take things on forums so seriously. Especially when joking smiley faces are added.
Maybe you were joking, I was not, actually. I don`t exclusively use smilies to denote jokes, I use them because they amuse me.

EDIT: This has gone over to relativism. Sorry.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #73 of 141 (permalink) Old 06-07-10, 02:28 PM

Jack Jack's Flag is: Canada

I did not assume that misantrhopia is wrong. But you cannot disregard the idea that it might be wrong simply because you are a misanthrope. That is what I wanted to say.

I fled to chase dreams that I can't yet describe.
I wake up, shivers, I hope my dream wasn't you.
But son, your dad, it ain't me, it can't be.
post #74 of 141 (permalink) Old 06-07-10, 03:19 PM

Misanthropy, as well as nihilistic tenancies, is the right of any being to uphold. However, I feel these are some of the most irresponsible habits to indulge ones self in as these people often ignore any opportunity to make Humanity better. Instead they gloat at problems without offering any form of solution in most cases, and chose to insulate themselves from our species problems. As such they add to the reasons why they hate the world.

What I mean by this is not that they should help out some mentally barren yokel in the street, but do what they can to contribute to a better tomorrow for our species. These people who lack the drive and sense of responsibility in the matter sicken me. If you don't like the way the world looks, congratulations. You have a ton of work to do. Better get started. Our descendants should always be at the forefronts of our minds. We are by no means in a comfortable position to be thinking for ourselves in the now.

Want to help? Become proactive in your cause. Learn a useful scientific skill. Join or form a think-tank if you can't do the former. Let your voice be heard that there are problems in our civilization. Don't skulk around in the shadows waiting for the universe to pamper our species like a loving mother. The universe is a mother who has abandoned us to fend for ourselves a long, long time ago. What I feel is further unfortunate is that this is often a 'stepping stone' people take after making stunning realizations about society. They become so entwined with hatred of how terrible a species we really are that they abandon all hope of making Humanity great.

It's David vs. Goliath, if you forgive the cliche. The places where people can live with their head under the sand are getting fewer and further between. Soon, I imagine, there will only be World of Warcraft and the cesspool that is 4chan.

Anyway, I know this conversation has taken a huge turn off topic, but I wanted to lend my input to this brief matter.
post #75 of 141 (permalink) Old 06-07-10, 05:16 PM

Emet, Paladin of Truth's Flag is: USA

Quote:
I don't understand how being misantropic prevent you in any way from thinking misantropia is wrong.
if you do not believe misanthropia is right, you are not a misanthrope.

therefore, if you are a misanthrope, you must believe misanthropy is right.

Have you ever felt so at one with the world, with the universe, with everything that is, that you were overcome with love?

That is reality. That is the truth. What we make of it is up to us.

-One by Richard Bach

Last edited by Emet, Paladin of Truth; 06-07-10 at 05:30 PM.
post #76 of 141 (permalink) Old 06-07-10, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emet, Paladin of Truth View Post
if you do not believe misanthropia is right, you are not a misanthrope.

therefore, if you are a misanthrope, you must believe misanthropy is right.
While what you said is logically sufficient, it is not acceptable. You can be a misanthrope while acknowledging it is wrong. You can hate everyone, and yet still hate yourself for hating everyone.

post #77 of 141 (permalink) Old 06-07-10, 08:11 PM

Yeah. Another example would be someone who smokes cigarettes a lot, but acknowledges that it's unhealthy for him or her.

(Remember this is purely an example, not comparing misanthropy to a smoking habit for those who would otherwise spawn a subsidiary argument base upon that statement. If you want to compare apples to monkey wrenches like that, I'd suggest another forum.)

While the general norm for mindsets is that the user sees that this is the 'right way to think', often with stubborn/ignorant consequences for such, there are plenty of people who know their way of thinking isn't the 'right way to think'.
post #78 of 141 (permalink) Old 06-08-10, 07:23 PM

Emet, Paladin of Truth's Flag is: USA

if you say that misanthroia is wrong, you will be forced to give non-misanthropic reasons in defense of it.

if you give non-misanthropic reasons, and you belive them, you cannot be a misanthrope.

if you do not believe those reasons, then you don't beleive misanthropia is wrong either. (because you have no arguement for it that you believe)

if you don't believe me, try to give a misanthropic arguement for philanthropy.

blagh... I'm not being clear...

trying again:

believing misanthropia is wrong is a philanthropic stance, so because you cannot be both misanthropic and philanthropic, if you believe misanthropia is wrong you cannot be fully misanthropic.

so we have the smoking example.

the smoker says "smoking is wrong" then takes a puff. the smoker cannot fully be a smoker. he is either 1) saying something he doesn't really believe or 2) trying to quit (however half-heartedly or unsuccessfully).

the differance here is that misanthropia is a thought, not an action.

so it would be like saying I am a christian who doesn't believe in christianity- if i do not believe in Christianity, I am not a christian by definition.

sorry for bringing religeon into it, but I used it because it was a well-known school of thought. I could just as well have said Utilitarianism, or Darwinism, or Perspectivism, or, yes, misanthropy.

Have you ever felt so at one with the world, with the universe, with everything that is, that you were overcome with love?

That is reality. That is the truth. What we make of it is up to us.

-One by Richard Bach

Last edited by Emet, Paladin of Truth; 06-08-10 at 07:35 PM.
post #79 of 141 (permalink) Old 06-09-10, 12:33 AM

People are stupid. They are idiots, really. They are so dumb that they do not deserve your hate, they can't help it. It's not their fault if they are so stupid, they are merely victims. You should help them however you can and feel good about it without expecting any kind of positive reinforcement on their part, it will make your world even slightly bette. Otherwise, you will be miserable for nothing. And people are not good enough to deserve that you suffer.

This, my friend, is a misanthropic argument for philanthropy. Or, if you will, a misanthropic argument against misanthropy.

There you go.

post #80 of 141 (permalink) Old 06-09-10, 12:37 AM

Quote:
People are stupid. They are idiots, really. They are so dumb that they do not deserve your hate, they can't help it. It's not their fault if they are so stupid, they are merely victims. You should help them however you can and feel good about it without expecting any kind of positive reinforcement on their part, it will make your world even slightly bette. Otherwise, you will be miserable for nothing. And people are not good enough to deserve that you suffer.
*Applause.*

Also, yeah, I could have chosen a more relevant example, but when you have 5 pots of coffee flowing through your veins...ShherpepereerreYEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode