Should i go to uni or not??? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-27-10, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
The voices told me to....

Hudson's Flag is: England

Default Should i go to uni or not???

ok all need some help in deciding.

im 25, in a well paid job which i absolutely HATE!!! mind blowing how boring it can be, trouble is i've had quite a few jobs and can really afford to leave another one.

i've been offered a guarenteed position at plymouth university on a great course but i really cant decide what to do for the best. do i stay here get my money and do what i like after work and just get on with it or do i bite the bullit, be skint for 4 years and go back to education....help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-27-10, 11:48 AM
Slave to Heresy!
Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Eh?

Fuck education. People go to uni to get themselves in debt and improve their prospects. If you're earning well in a good job uni isn't necessary.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-27-10, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

yea i was thinking more along the lines of getting pissed more and re-training in a different field but i do see your point.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-27-10, 12:02 PM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Yeap, goin to uni for job skills is probably no a good idea. If you want to train in a different career consider doing some evening courses at the local tech college. Its cheaper and you can carry on working.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-27-10, 12:08 PM

fatmantis's Flag is: New Zealand

ive been where you are now, but i chose not to go back to school, now i married with a child and now basically will be stuck in dead end jobs forever, not being able to do what i really want, if you really want it and can do it jesus man do it... you just never no what will happen tomorrow, do you really want to take the advice of a bunch of guys that play with plastic army men for fun lol
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-27-10, 12:11 PM
moo

moo's Flag is: United Kingdom

I've been at university for 7 years and found it stupidly difficult to find a job, you however have experience. So the question you want to ask yourself is what do you want to do the rest of your life? and does it need you to go back to university? If so, then it might be a good chance to do it while you have money.

I personally would recommend people to only go to university if necessary, as Jez and hum have said if you know what you want to do as a job, then do training courses/apprenticeships rather than going to uni. Going to uni just to be pissed and re-trained isn't worth it , you can do that anywhere without paying horrendous fees.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-27-10, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

ha was only a mukc-about the whole pissed thing i know the course well and know its tough going.

i have looked at evening classes etc its just my area is all about hairdressing and stuff like that, which REALLY doesnt interest me, actual trade skills there are no courses for aorund here.

the reason i've looked into the uni choice is because i already have higher qualifications and dont really want to go back to apprentice wages.

its a really annoying position. the job im in now allows me to do everything i like doing in the evenings, give me money to save and some left over. but my god is it dull sat behind this poxy desk all day.

but dont get me wrong i know the world isnt going to just accept me with open arms if i went to get a degree however i do have applicable experience in the field anyway so i would have an advantage over others from the get go.

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-27-10, 12:35 PM
description whore

deathbringer's Flag is: England

If I had the choice between a stable well paid job and uni at 25 i would choose the stable well paid job
Im in uni and I honestly love it but some of my grad friends are really struggling to find work and I too am struggling to find well paid part time work.

I wouldn't both you would almost be hitting the big 30 before you finished your course.

Though uni is insanely good fun

kudos to lillian thorne for the awesome sig
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-27-10, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

yea being honest with myself i think the social aspect is playing higher on my priorities than the actual academic stuff. which isnt a great reason to spend thousands a year

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-27-10, 01:19 PM

Depends what you're going to be studying. If it's a reasonably vocational course then it's not a bad idea, it's it's Art History it's a bad idea.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people could do my job without a degree, but they will never get the chance to even try now a days without one.University won't teach you job skills, it will show people you have the ability to learn and apply yourself to a task and gives you a base of fundamental knowledge about the subject.

Do you have a stable job or do you have a career where you're at just now, that's a big question.

Aramoro

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode