The Weather Thread... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-10, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Brother Subtle's Flag is: Australia

Default The Weather Thread...

Got upto 44degs celsius here today! (Bendigo is in central Victoria, Australia) Right now it's about midnight and it's still 35degs outside!!! So hot! Tomorrow supposed to be a bit cooler, only 39degs tomorrow! I'd sure love 5mins of the cold snap you uk guys are having! How about a swap? Our heat wave for your cold snap? If you American guys are confused, ull have to convert to Fahrenheit yourselves, I can't be bothered. I feel sorry for Adelaide (capital of south Australia) tomorrow is their 5TH! day in a row above 40degs! Stuff that!

Night all! How's the weather where you are? Cooler than here I hope.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-10, 01:19 PM

Jack Jack's Flag is: Canada

Here it's cloudy and minus ten degree -10 C, no wind.

A good and plesant temperature, perfect for children to play outside and a walk in the park and ski.

I guess yeah, it is cooler than austrialian summer.

Last edited by Jack Jack; 01-11-10 at 01:21 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-10, 01:20 PM

KingOfCheese's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Subtle View Post
Got upto 44degs celsius here today! (Bendigo is in central Victoria, Australia) Right now it's about midnight and it's still 35degs outside!!! So hot! Tomorrow supposed to be a bit cooler, only 39degs tomorrow! I'd sure love 5mins of the cold snap you uk guys are having! How about a swap? Our heat wave for your cold snap? If you American guys are confused, ull have to convert to Fahrenheit yourselves, I can't be bothered. I feel sorry for Adelaide (capital of south Australia) tomorrow is their 5TH! day in a row above 40degs! Stuff that!

Night all! How's the weather where you are? Cooler than here I hope.
Tell me about it.

Im in South Australia, and suffering lol.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-10, 01:30 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well I heard that it was -20C in parts England a few days ago (at night), we only went down to about -16C near me... though I wouldnt advise a swap from Oz to here: a few years ago I went from southern spain (the only european desert) to the highlands of scotland. From the bottom of a canyon where it was at least 45C to a blizzard on top of a mountain where, with windchill, the temperature was at about -30C in 3 days.. it was my birthday as well

The funniest part was that I managed to get windburn on top of my sunburn... I went purple

Last edited by Tim/Steve; 01-11-10 at 01:36 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-10, 01:57 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well we had a foot of snow... and last night it rained on top of that, and then froze during the night.

To walk into town you now need to either A. Walk in the road, or B. Wear Ice Skates. There's no grit on our Cul-De-Sac, so it takes about 15 minutes to walk 150 meters unless you enjoy landing on your ass!

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-10, 02:11 PM

JDMJapan's Flag is: Japan

Even in sunny Florida it is cold! Yesterday morning before I left for school it was 22F!

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-10, 05:54 PM

Shadow Hawk's Flag is: United Kingdom

It's cold here. Almost -20C one morning. Europe is suffering a bad cold snap.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-10, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJapan View Post
Even in sunny Florida it is cold! Yesterday morning before I left for school it was 22F!
22F is cold?

You have got to be kidding me.

You guys have no idea what a real man's winter is.

22F is very confortable. In fact, it is the ideal winter temperature, higher than that, your socks get wet either from the sweat or the melting snow.

A real cold day is at most 5 F (-15 C) and even then you need harsh winds to even feel that it is cold.

At this temperature, unprotected fingers and toes will hurt in a matter of minutes, same goes for ears.

But even then, a half decent pair of gloves and a hat will allow you to enjoy the walk and the chill feeling on your cheeks and nose.

Then you get to -4 F ( -20 C) This temperature is felt the same way as 5 F, only this time, the cold can pass through your jacket and come to annoy you even if just a little. A good temperature for ski and other intense activities as the heat generated from your activities will dissipate easily. However, unless you are skying or playing hockey, you will feel even the slightest of winds.

But then, you can get to - 13 F ( -25 C). At this temperature, you absolutely need to protect your neck. And seal your jacket to your body. This is when you see the difference between good quality clothes and those of less than good quality. A good pair of gloves and boots will protect you if you stay on the move, waiting for the bus is a nightmare. You probably want to wear wool under your coat and a hat that cover your face : Your nose will run and the running will freeze, keep your mouth shut and your lips will dry. Don't try to humidify them or they'll freeze. Your eyes will tear and your tears will freeze on your eyelash. Now this is cold weather. And don't forget the wind, the wind will make it even worse.

Sometimes, you can even get lower than -22 F (-30 C). Below this temperature, especially with winds, it is not unheard of for public school to close. Take every bad thing that can happen to your body at -13 F and apply it even with good clothing. At this temperature, your unprotected flesh will burn from the cold in two or three minutes. If you fall asleep at this temperature, there is a good chance that you will die. You can also suffer permanent injuries if you stay exposed for extended periods of time. There are about a dozen days or so that get to temperature this low each year in Montreal. Sometimes more. If you talk about a temperature so cold that it is painful, I will imagine you mean this temperature.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-10, 05:25 PM

was trying to taunt you guys into turning the thread into a "my climate is harsher than yours"
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-10, 07:02 PM

piemaster's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
The funniest part was that I managed to get windburn on top of my sunburn... I went purple
Bugger.

I live in Stirling in Scotland. We're out of the rubbish weather (not compared to where you live JJ). There are just piles of ice in places here and there. Snow on the mountains when I travel in to the University or just in general.

I don't think I'd ever trade for an Aussie summer though. Hell no! I spent my summer in a 30oC (+rep for who can tell me what that is in Kelvin without using the internet) greenhouse tending to plants and that was too much. I'll take cold any day (unless its in Montreal).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode