Should we punish the last crime on earth ? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

View Poll Results: Should we punish the last crime on earth? Read the first post.
Yes, we punish 82 84.54%
No, we do nothing about it 11 11.34%
I don't know 4 4.12%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 426 (permalink) Old 12-31-09, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Jack Jack's Flag is: Canada

Default Should we punish the last crime on earth ?

This is an hypothetical question. Suppose we have the last crime on earth. It is horrible. More horrible than what you can ever imagine. Suppose we also have a 100% garantee with no chance of errors, that no other crime will ever be committed in billions of years no matter what we do. Should we punish this crime ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 426 (permalink) Old 01-03-10, 07:14 PM
bobss's Flag is: England

Yes. We punish as to make an example to others. We punish not so he does it again, but so that it sets an example to others. Because if we did not it would conflict with this equal utopian idea you speak of, in which everyone is treated as equal *Cough* Communism *Cough* although once the foundations of Capitalism slowly crumble into dust, Communism shall be the bases of the future in which resources must be equally shared, and we all contribute to our world, so that our society can still exist.
post #3 of 426 (permalink) Old 01-03-10, 11:20 PM

dark angel's Flag is: Wales

What makes the last Crime any different from the first? A Crime is a Crime and thus it should be punished, whatever it is from a mere petty stealing to a murder. If you do not punish the said person you shall not stop it, so I deem it of the uttermost importance to carry it out. Thats my two cents anyhow

Nyctophobia- Fear of the Dark Angel.

"No one ever spoke about of those two absent brothers. Their separate tragedies had seemed like aberrations. Had they, in fact, been warnings that no one had heeded?"

'Killing a man is like fucking, boy, only instead of giving life you take it. You experience the ecstasy of penetration as your warhead enters the enemy's belly and the shaft follows. You see the whites of his eyes roll inside the sockets of his helmet. You feel his knees give way beneath him and the weight of his faltering flesh draw down the point of your spear. Are you picturing this?'
'Yes, lord.'
'Is your dick hard yet?'
'No, lord.'
''What? You've got your spear in a man's guts and your dog isn't stiff? What are you, a woman?'
post #4 of 426 (permalink) Old 01-03-10, 11:29 PM

torealis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark angel View Post
What makes the last Crime any different from the first? A Crime is a Crime and thus it should be punished,
Why? Who says a crime has to be punished?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark angel View Post
If you do not punish the said person you shall not stop it, so I deem it of the uttermost importance to carry it out.
You seem to have misread the first post, no crime will ever happen again. So if we do not punish the person, he will not reoffend.

Why should we punish for no reason? With the cast-iron guarantee, there's no reason to punish other than to sate bloodlust and revenge.

Quote:
Because if we did not it would conflict with this equal utopian idea you speak of,
I don't know about you, but my Utopia doesn't have any punishment in it.

post #5 of 426 (permalink) Old 01-03-10, 11:39 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

No- if its the guarenteed last crime on Earth then the person who comitted it wont do it again and any punishment isnt going to disuade people from committing crime (because there wont be any more).
The person who comitted it should have the proceeds (any benefits they achieved through this crime) should be confiscated and then they should be kicked out into the street- spending time and effort on trial and incarseration would just be a waste.

Ofc this is complete fantasy since there can never be a guarentee of no more crime... so if its a horendous crime they should in reality probably get the death penalty.. pretty much for the same reasons: its it beond a doubt that this person did a truly unforgivable crime, sufficiently bad that they would never be released from prison then I dont see why society should pay for the cost of keeping a person in jail for a lifetime (which at a quick estimate could probably easily clear £2'000'000).

post #6 of 426 (permalink) Old 01-04-10, 12:23 AM

I read somewhere that the appeals process and death row itself was actually more expensive than imprisoning someone for life.

post #7 of 426 (permalink) Old 01-04-10, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
The person who comitted it should have the proceeds (any benefits they achieved through this crime) should be confiscated and then they should be kicked out into the street-
That sounds a lot like a punishment to me...

post #8 of 426 (permalink) Old 01-04-10, 12:44 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

It depends what the crime is. I'm persuaded to say yes if it's "more horrible than i can possibly imagine" because at that point i feel there will be victims who are severely affected by that persons actions.

If someone stole my TV and I knew there was no more crime then i wouldn't be too bothered.

If someone killed my family i'd feel pretty devastated if they were allowed to walk free.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #9 of 426 (permalink) Old 01-04-10, 12:01 PM

dark angel's Flag is: Wales

It might be the last crime. However, as said it is more horrible than you could ever imagine, now if it was a stealing or something along those lines perhaps it should be let slide, but something THAT horrible in my opinion should be dealt with bruntly, but as I have already said it is just my opinion, we do not all have to agree.

Nyctophobia- Fear of the Dark Angel.

"No one ever spoke about of those two absent brothers. Their separate tragedies had seemed like aberrations. Had they, in fact, been warnings that no one had heeded?"

'Killing a man is like fucking, boy, only instead of giving life you take it. You experience the ecstasy of penetration as your warhead enters the enemy's belly and the shaft follows. You see the whites of his eyes roll inside the sockets of his helmet. You feel his knees give way beneath him and the weight of his faltering flesh draw down the point of your spear. Are you picturing this?'
'Yes, lord.'
'Is your dick hard yet?'
'No, lord.'
''What? You've got your spear in a man's guts and your dog isn't stiff? What are you, a woman?'
post #10 of 426 (permalink) Old 01-04-10, 01:22 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by torealis View Post
That sounds a lot like a punishment to me...
Not really- Its saying that if you robbed a bank you wouldnt be allowed to keep the money, but you wouldnt be charged with it. If you steal someone's wallet and get caught giving back the wallet is something that is probably so obvious that no-one thinks about it.
Would be impossible in some cases: eg if you killed your wife... it would be a bit mean to go out and find someone you found as annoying and marry you to them (as well as patently unfair on the new wifey )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode