The Increasingly prominent issue of Iran - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-09, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default The Increasingly prominent issue of Iran

Right, I know theres already been a few threads on Iran but I feel the gaming board has changed recently!

A second Uranium Enriching Plant was discovered recently leading to Presidents Obama and Sarkozy aswell as Prime Minister Brown to call for access for UN inspectors.

The UK, US and France are the main Western voices in the criticism but even Russia and China who seem to usually be more lenient towards Iran have showed conern.

Israel seems willing to take Military action in what it would call self-defence. Without changing the nature of this thread to one on Israel; The reason I don't largely object to Israel having Nuclear Weapons is because it is generally a stable state with peaceful intenions. Iran on the other hand has openly declared it wants to "Wipe Israel off the map", and would likely be poised to do so if it actually did obtain Nuclear Weapons. Aside from that Iran is not a stable state. Mainly because it is a Theocratic state which is dangerous (in my opinion) in itself.

Adding to the Criticism of Iran: It is likely that the recent Iranian elections were a fix (See: Link)

Could this be the start of an Arms race in the Middle-East? This situation could easily lead to one in my opinion. The West would obviously get involved if such a thing did occur, is that justified? Do you agree with Western Intervention militarily?

I was just wondering on everyone's thoughts on this situation in general, and on Iran and its intentions.

EDIT: Heres a Link with some general information on the subject.

EDIT2: I've been reading around the subject a bit today and came across some more 'goings-on'!

Iran has tested 2 short-range missiles recently and plans for a long-range missile test tomorrow (Monday 28/09/09) which experts believe would be capable of reaching Israels border and many US bases around the Gulf. On top of that the Revolutionary Guard have been ordered tomorrow to begin training exercises to "improve the Islamic Republic armed forces' defence capabilities", this however is largely Missile defence exercises aswell which will obviously further tensions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

Last edited by Child-of-the-Emperor; 09-27-09 at 11:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-09, 07:40 PM
bobss's Flag is: England

To be honest I reckon the only two outcomes are either Iran closing the site, or it getting a fuck-off bunker-buster dropped into it by Israel on Americas orders.

Personnally I dont have a problem with Iran, Its just with a leader who has said so much shit against the West, Impeticular the US, UK and Israel, who also wants to make '' nuclear power'' isn`t normal, if there president wasn`t such a nut, then we probably wouldn`t be as worried
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-09, 02:45 AM

englhockey's Flag is: USA

As far as im concerned they should both be whiped off the map no more problems

Every man dies, not every man really lives.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-09, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss View Post
Personnally I dont have a problem with Iran, Its just with a leader who has said so much shit against the West, Impeticular the US, UK and Israel, who also wants to make '' nuclear power'' isn`t normal, if there president wasn`t such a nut, then we probably wouldn`t be as worried
I think its more the nature of Iran's government/system of rule rather than just Ahmadinejad himself.

I mean even if the Reformists would have won the election very little would have changed. Most executive power in Iran is held by the Guardian Council and Supreme Leader who are religious in nature and unelected. The Supreme Leader is the one who is in total command of the armed forces, and policy on defence and foreign issues and the Guardian Council has the power to veto any and all bills that pass through the legislature.

Although yes having a President (even if he is just a figure head) who regularly speaks out against the West with comments like "George Bush will burn in hell", "We shall wipe Israel off the map", etc. does not help international relations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-09, 04:48 PM

lawrence96's Flag is: United Kingdom

The whole place is buggered up really.

Iran is making missiles and threatening isreal because of isreali actions towards the palestinians and islam in general.

Isreal is threatening military action because of Irans research and threats.

Of course all the western medling in both Iran and Isreal hasn't helped the matter much. If Isreal hadn't been given such a big arms boost by the US and allies then Iran wouldn't be so threatened by them, and if Irans democratically elected goverment hadn't been overthrown by CIA and British actions then the current system wouldn't be in place (that is there wouldn't be the ayatollah telling people what to do)

So yeah, one big vicious circle where no-one will win and everyone will lose, only when one side backs down will the problem be lessened.

Of course all the western medling in both Iran and Isreal hasn't helped the matter much. If Isreal hadn't been given such a big arms boost by the US and allies then Iran wouldn't be so threatened by them, and if Irans democratically elected goverment hadn't been overthrown by CIA and British actions then the current system wouldn't be in place (that is there wouldn't be the ayatollah telling people what to do)

Quisnam praesumo, successio
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-30-09, 12:24 PM

jams's Flag is: Wales

the existence of a 2nd enrichment plant is worrying, but i feel amedinejad's claims and threats towards israel are just posturing.

yes they have a functional missile system, however the status of their warhead development is largely unknown.

in reality, would the grand council condone an attack that will inevitably result in a massive retaliation strike from another nuclear state? i'd like to think that it would be a resounding "no".

although israel has never categorically confirmed that they are in possession of nuclear arms, it is likely that they are. would iran be willing to gamble on this fact though, who knows?

all we know is if they do chose to gamble and launch a strike, then the situation will escalate exponentially and likely turn into world war 3.

just my tuppence worth

Follow my online ramblings:
Blog: http://crucible-of-fate.blogspot.co.uk/
Twitter: @geochimp
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-09, 04:45 AM
Banned
NoiseMarine's Flag is: USA

Iran is a joke, their military is a joke, hell all middle eastern countries are jokes... I say we invade and actually colonize them, good ol' fashion imperialism I say!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-09, 04:21 PM

lawrence96's Flag is: United Kingdom

Noise Marine, if we did that to every country that we find annoying/jokes then every country would part of the british empire .

Or in the case of the rest of europe exterminated., relax i'm just kidding only any countries beginning with a consonant will be exterminated.

Quisnam praesumo, successio
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-09, 09:08 PM
Banned
NoiseMarine's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence96 View Post
Noise Marine, if we did that to every country that we find annoying/jokes then every country would part of the british empire .

Or in the case of the rest of europe exterminated., relax i'm just kidding only any countries beginning with a consonant will be exterminated.
The British empire is the past! America shall rise again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-09, 09:39 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss View Post
To be honest I reckon the only two outcomes are either Iran closing the site, or it getting a fuck-off bunker-buster dropped into it by Israel on Americas orders.
Like Israel would need Americas orders to do anything (nobody listens to america anyway), they'd just go ahead and do it and then Mossad would ask someone high up "politely" and in private, if they happen to have any more lying around
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseMarine View Post
Iran is a joke, their military is a joke, hell all middle eastern countries are jokes...
go there and say that, I'm sure you'd laugh and claim its still a joke with an AK to the head

Last edited by Stella Cadente; 10-04-09 at 09:42 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode