Asperger, and other LD's - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-09, 05:10 PM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafistofmork View Post
sorry. i missinterperted you (very easy over the internet).
Don't worry about it. I do it all the time haha.

Quote:
any way, i used to do occupational therepy when i was 10-11, but i found it unhelpfull and patronising.
Hmm, do you think this had anything to do with your age, or do you genuinely feel that it wasn't a helpful form of assistance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-09, 08:58 AM

Dafistofmork's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Drake View Post
Hmm, do you think this had anything to do with your age, or do you genuinely feel that it wasn't a helpful form of assistance?
a bit of both to be honest. i just didnt like it and it didnt seem to help spending an hour in a small room with this women who tried to get me to pronounce my Ruh's correctly (i have a mild speach impediment which i am stupidly sensitive about) and sort out my hand writing. practicly no help with socilaisation or co-ordination, which are my to bigest downfalls.

humm, true. This is yet again proof the Orks are smarter the Elves.-Micklez
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-09, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafistofmork View Post
a bit of both to be honest. i just didnt like it and it didnt seem to help spending an hour in a small room with this women who tried to get me to pronounce my Ruh's correctly (i have a mild speach impediment which i am stupidly sensitive about) and sort out my hand writing. practicly no help with socilaisation or co-ordination, which are my to bigest downfalls.
Oh... yeah, that would do it. Speech therapy is one thing, but practicing hand writing really doesn't help socializing skills much. Sounds like they were treating the wrong problems.
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-09, 04:12 PM

b.anthracis's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf Spee View Post
how will this work? is this proven to be effective? cuz this sounds really strange to me. how will you compensate when you accidentially pick someone with similar problems like you have? or just some aggressive idiot. i would react quite beside my normal self if someone i don't know comes along and tries to engage me in a conversation for no reason. don't get me wrong, but people approaching me and start chatting out of the blue normally want to sell me something or are trying to distract me in order to cover that guy that tries to steal my wallet. especially in coffee shops or bars or the like. this happened twice to me already. i've grown quite suspicious to behaviour like that, since i've been too friendly with most people. many of my friends did as well. dunno if this is just a problem with bigger towns but i think a better way would be that the professional you're talking about accompanies you for maybe a week and watches you in situations that simply happen and you have to face in everyday life and does not try to get his impressions from forced engagements from your side like the 'start conversation' you mentioned. dunno if you get my meaning..
One of the major differences which you have to take into account is the cultural background. In Germany it is quiet unusal to engage in a conversation with a total stranger. Katie please correct me if I'm wrong, but in Canada people tend to be more open to such conversations. So it might be a natural thing to practice this.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-09, 04:33 PM

Graf Spee's Flag is: Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.anthracis View Post
One of the major differences which you have to take into account is the cultural background. In Germany it is quiet unusal to engage in a conversation with a total stranger. Katie please correct me if I'm wrong, but in Canada people tend to be more open to such conversations. So it might be a natural thing to practice this.
you might have a point there.. and females also have better chances most of the time

There is no such thing as too many tanks.

Support NetEpic GOLD at the EPICentre.

my tutorial for making rivets:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...110#post445110
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-09, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.anthracis View Post
Katie please correct me if I'm wrong, but in Canada people tend to be more open to such conversations. So it might be a natural thing to practice this.
It's more common than other places I've been, yes. We're not as super friendly as some other countries are but most of the time people are willing to engage in friendly conversation.

And yeah, being a gal helps.

Unfortunately I still haven't been able to start this because the organization that's going to hook me up with an Occupational Therapist is making me jump through hoops as far as proving that my condition is legitimate, telling them exactly what I need, etc. Sooner or later, though.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-09, 09:02 PM

inqusitor_me's Flag is: Scotland

As one of the members here who has dyslexia I have tried my hardest to check spelling but I also find useing spell check a pain!
For people that think this is me playing the pity card GTF I don’t mean to be harsh about it I just hate people thinking all the time.
when I was in my teens I use to be a indvdale car worker for kids with disabilities that’s how I meet one of my best friend who suffers from a lot of disabilitys I must admit what gala said I was one of the people that started a fuss on this forum about it due to one of the people on here that was nasty about my spelling and just jumping in and just starting on me witch I am sorry for but I do feel the pain with guys/girls that have dyslexia.
As with my grammar schools in Scotland are shite for teaching grammar.

this has been spell checked lol

post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-09, 10:50 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

TBH I make an effort to spell correctly- I dont bother spell checking but I do often google words to see if they are correct (more often then not I just use a synonym)... if anyone corrects me I normally either ignore them, I long ago past the stage of caring about mispelling random words when it really doesnt matter a damn (if I can be understood then Im happy).

If anyone makes fun out of me for spelling I would report them- taking the mick out of anyone for a spelling error is probably OTT, but if they are dyslexic then I would certainly report it (and would expect the person responsible to get a warning).

post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-09, 11:20 PM

inqusitor_me's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post

If anyone makes fun out of me for spelling I would report them- taking the mick out of anyone for a spelling error is probably OTT, but if they are dyslexic then I would certainly report it (and would expect the person responsible to get a warning).
You are a calmer man than me I sort of flew off the handle at the person involved I am a very sensitive person about it tbh

post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-16-09, 12:40 AM

Icon

Hey, I'd like to say I believe I have a disability, well, maybe disability isn't the right word...irritation, would be better.

The problem I have is my anger, and it's weird, it doesn't surface when I'm around other people, because I tend to be sort of reserved around others I don't know or am uncomfortable with, but it's more with things like, for example, spelling mistakes on forums or if something happens in a game that I don't like, and then continues happening. Now, I have learned to control myself with the internet spelling part, since I have time to calm down before I do anything, but when I'm playing a game I often just shout a little to vent. I think the main thing for me is that I'm a perfectionist. I have to be able to do everything, and I strive to accomplish just that. I've never been tested on it but it's very clear to me. I also have a higher IQ than most, which tends to make people in my school jealous of me, and although they'd never say anything to me because of how I live (gym and martial arts and all), it's obvious that they bitch about me behind my back.

Also, I'm able to perceive things a lot quicker than others as I'm always aware of my surroundings, and people call me nosy, which really annoys me since I have no control over it. For example, I'd be out with a friend in a public place, and I'd hear another person near me say something funny or what not, and I'd bring it up with my friend, and they'd be like 'What are you talking about?' Obviously because they didn't know the other person had said it. And I'd look like an idiot trying to explain.

There's a plus and negative side to everything, I guess

'I am everything to no one, and nothing to everyone'
'A man is measured by his debts'
^Just a few quotes I thought up myself, if they've been said before...oops

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode