Asperger, and other LD's - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-07-09, 08:09 PM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafistofmork View Post
well, i usely hide in my fantasy and my books but when i come out of it i am even worse than before.
This isn't what I meant. I'll clarify by providing an example of what I do to get by and improve.

Today I called in to a special resource center inquiring as to where I should call to find an occupational therapist. The reason I'm looking for one of these professionals is because one of the services that they provide is to "coach" individuals that struggle in social situations. Basically, what will happen is that when a Occupational Therapist is assigned to me, the two of us will meet in a public place (preferably somewhere not too busy and crowded to start). S/he will then watch me attempt to engage in a casual conversation with a stranger which is something I struggle considerably to do with any sort of skill. After observing the interaction, my therapist can tell me where I may have gone wrong as far as my own body language, tone of voice and so on, as well as pointing out the meaning of various facial expressions and the body language of the person I engaged with. As I progress, we'll be able to work up to more complex social interactions.

The end result that we're looking for is that I'll be much more at ease in public, around friends and strangers alike. I'll be able to understand people's facial expressions and body language to a degree and will have learned how to gauge people's reactions to me, making others more comfortable being around me.

So, yeah. That's sorta what I meant. More how are people progressing, improving and generally enjoying their lives while dealing with their issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-07-09, 08:42 PM

Graf Spee's Flag is: Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Drake View Post
Basically, what will happen is that when a Occupational Therapist is assigned to me, the two of us will meet in a public place (preferably somewhere not too busy and crowded to start). S/he will then watch me attempt to engage in a casual conversation with a stranger which is something I struggle considerably to do with any sort of skill. After observing the interaction, my therapist can tell me where I may have gone wrong as far as my own body language, tone of voice and so on, as well as pointing out the meaning of various facial expressions and the body language of the person I engaged with. As I progress, we'll be able to work up to more complex social interactions.

The end result that we're looking for is that I'll be much more at ease in public, around friends and strangers alike. I'll be able to understand people's facial expressions and body language to a degree and will have learned how to gauge people's reactions to me, making others more comfortable being around me.
how will this work? is this proven to be effective? cuz this sounds really strange to me. how will you compensate when you accidentially pick someone with similar problems like you have? or just some aggressive idiot. i would react quite beside my normal self if someone i don't know comes along and tries to engage me in a conversation for no reason. don't get me wrong, but people approaching me and start chatting out of the blue normally want to sell me something or are trying to distract me in order to cover that guy that tries to steal my wallet. especially in coffee shops or bars or the like. this happened twice to me already. i've grown quite suspicious to behaviour like that, since i've been too friendly with most people. many of my friends did as well. dunno if this is just a problem with bigger towns but i think a better way would be that the professional you're talking about accompanies you for maybe a week and watches you in situations that simply happen and you have to face in everyday life and does not try to get his impressions from forced engagements from your side like the 'start conversation' you mentioned. dunno if you get my meaning..

There is no such thing as too many tanks.

Support NetEpic GOLD at the EPICentre.

my tutorial for making rivets:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...110#post445110
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-07-09, 09:22 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Sounds like my idea of hell, but may well be helpful... I wish you luck with it.

I dont have much to do day to day at the minute- Im one of the millions of unemployed in the UK. I finished my degree with a severe bought of depression (only just about finished) and just in time for the lovely economic times... I am quite capable of holding a job and interacting with collegues (though I would hate a large, constantly changing set of collegues)... its just the getting a job part oif this that is causing problems
At least I should have more to do starting next week- I'm volunteering at a local outdoor museum so I will at least have something to get me out of the house.

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-09, 12:50 AM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf Spee View Post
how will this work? is this proven to be effective? cuz this sounds really strange to me. how will you compensate when you accidentially pick someone with similar problems like you have? or just some aggressive idiot. i would react quite beside my normal self if someone i don't know comes along and tries to engage me in a conversation for no reason. don't get me wrong, but people approaching me and start chatting out of the blue normally want to sell me something or are trying to distract me in order to cover that guy that tries to steal my wallet. especially in coffee shops or bars or the like. this happened twice to me already. i've grown quite suspicious to behaviour like that, since i've been too friendly with most people. many of my friends did as well. dunno if this is just a problem with bigger towns but i think a better way would be that the professional you're talking about accompanies you for maybe a week and watches you in situations that simply happen and you have to face in everyday life and does not try to get his impressions from forced engagements from your side like the 'start conversation' you mentioned. dunno if you get my meaning..
Yeah, I get your meaning. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who need the same sort of help that I do, so they can't exactly allocate me a professional who's gonna follow me around for weeks at a time. It'll probably be a once or twice a week sort of thing.

I do think I might've explained it badly... the way I explained things make it sound so artificial and "forced". Unfortunately I don't think I can provide a better explanation, at least until after I've had a couple sessions.

I'm not worried about people being weirded out by random conversation starting, though. Most of the people in my area (and my country, for that matter) are pretty friendly and talkative people. Being female also helps, as most people (guys especially) would rather talk to a young gal than some random dude.

As for Tim/Steve, good for you on taking up volunteering! I hope it goes well. Thanks for the good wishes, too!

Katie D
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-09, 07:31 AM

Graf Spee's Flag is: Germany

well, then let's see how it will develop. i'm quite curious.. good luck anyways.

There is no such thing as too many tanks.

Support NetEpic GOLD at the EPICentre.

my tutorial for making rivets:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...110#post445110
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-09, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

Just thought I would chirp in with one last point of interest worth exploring. How many of those who have LD's on this forum go to a university or a technical school, and how are you currently fairing in these places of higher learning?

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-09, 09:25 AM

NerdyOgre254's Flag is: Australia

Well, I'm studying Computer Science (Games Technology) at Charles Sturt University in Bathurst, and i'm doing... okayish.
I need to do more practice programming, and I need to get in control of my sleeping pattern.

On the subject of Rat Ogres:
But if we give them laser eyes and mounted guns, we'll have to bring in Clan Skryre, and everyone knows how much those limp-tailed snuff addicts overcharge.
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-09, 09:40 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

More or less already said but:
went to uni for 5 years; more or less crashed out of first year because of depression and hating the course then switched onto another. Was fine for 2-3 years then suffered from severe depression and only just managed to finish the 4th (I stopped working on my final year dissitation for ~2 months, gave up and left.. got my head a little bit back together enough to go back and finish it off with just a 2 week extension).

Ended up with a 2:1 MSci in Geology (I actually hate rocks, but the maths is great and so is being more or less an expert on global warming). The good was worth going for but the bad was absolutely awful... if I had the choice again I really dont think I would go again, or at least I might have taken a few years out to get a job and then go.

post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-09, 09:51 AM

Dafistofmork's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Drake View Post
This isn't what I meant.
sorry. i missinterperted you (very easy over the internet).

any way, i used to do occupational therepy when i was 10-11, but i found it unhelpfull and patronising. then i went to a support group on thursdays, and that helped, but they stoped for some reason. think i grew to old for them. now i just try to get on with life, or hide from it. living in the middle of nowhere with out a bus service doesnt help.

also, can i just take this time to thank LukeValantine for giving me the chance to come out of the woodwork. +rep.

humm, true. This is yet again proof the Orks are smarter the Elves.-Micklez
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-09, 01:41 PM

Insane Psychopath's Flag is: Scotland

Has anyone see the news where a person from the UK went into the Pentagon & other top stuff by hacking through the inter-net. They want to try him for being a terriost (sp?).

However he suffer from asperger & all this was the result in his abilty with computer know his way around them. I find charge him with terroist is a bit exstrem.

I think this is the story?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tradition.html

Tim/Steve: I know how you feel with the job interview. As said any feed back I get has alway been I was nervies & not talking a lot. When I exsplain I had SPD a fourm of asperger among other thing, they would reply "ohhh!!" for me it more if they'd ask me during the interview I would tell them about the SPD.
But because I'm focuse on trying to do well in the interview I answer the question they give me & don't tend to say anything else.

Since working with GW, it been a year & I only did a bit of freelance with model making & painting armies for friends.

But with the musiem it should be good for you & look good for the CV So hope it all work out with you

This is where we hold them! This is where we fight! This is where they DIE!!!!!!!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode