Sarkozy vs Burkas - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-09, 11:31 PM

lawrence96's Flag is: United Kingdom

i know, we have bloody cold summers

Quisnam praesumo, successio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-09, 04:40 PM

Dafistofmork's Flag is: United Kingdom

well, what if some one realy belives in wearing the burka as an expresion of there faith, and has been banned from wearing it. on the other hand, what if there faith is forcing them to wear it when they would rather not as they find it demenaing? which is the right approach? i say that there should be more freedom for women to choose burka or no burka, but in positions of authorithy, like teaching, it should be banned as they should be politicaly and religoisly neutral.

yeah, i studdied this issue in general studdies.

humm, true. This is yet again proof the Orks are smarter the Elves.-Micklez
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-09, 12:24 PM

Alexious's Flag is: Australia

I have a somewhat sympathetic view to the removal of religious articles of clothing in general. That said I come from a cultural society that has been founded on in the main with the notion of "leave your problems over there".(My view as Australian, there will be other Aussies who will disagree).

However, we have survived 200 years, managed to get out of the Empire without a civil war and managed to do quite well.... the one constant, we are isolated and we take a lot of immigrants... we suffer the populate or perish routine quite a bit... (land mass size of the US, with the population size of New York spread all over it). But we have done well as we are very religious neutrul in the main. Sure we have the major religions here, and they are popular to a degree, but an Aussie is more likely to discriminate over what football team you follow than your religious background in my experience. We have the highest Irish and Greek background immigration in the world... but the IRA never operated here, neither do we attack turks as we favor greeks.

We have in the main achieved that by an attitude in the public of "Sure we understand its happening at home, over there, whatever.... especially religious issues" But thats half a world away and you have made a life here now... so leave it back there. Your Australian now... not muslim, turk, jew, or asian or Enlgish... That has begun to corrode in the last 20 years here.... and now we suffer the same thing in our newspapers, media etc,.... we are labeled racist or semetic sympathizers etc.... because we don't encourage the conclave mentality that a lot of cultures seem to follow when they emigrate. I find it offensive personally when i am on a train and people are speaking a foreign language... they are here in my country... speak my language please. I will make an effort if I go somewhere to learn some of the language and would try dearly to learn it all if I lived there and called it home.

I say drop all religious icons, clothing and everything else... its corrupted and caused so many wars. Religion should be relegated to a private thing between you and your god... and if you wish to gather with others great... do so. But don't allow it to spill into public or become a thing of politics... its only going to cause trouble.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-09, 12:32 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafistofmork View Post
well, what if some one realy belives in wearing the burka as an expresion of there faith, and has been banned from wearing it.
They could wear it at home, just not in public. Or, go to a country where it's acceptable wear. I hate the BNP's ludicrous hypocritical immigration ideas, but I also don't think immigrants should expect to be able to impose their culture upon the host nations - they'll naturally change it over time, sure, but that doesn't give them the right to do it consciously.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode