Are Carbon Fibre bikes good? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

View Poll Results: Is Carbon Fibre good?
Yeah, Carbon Fibre is great!!!! 7 53.85%
No, no, no!!! Carbon Fibre is rubbish!!! 0 0%
What's Carbon Fibre? 0 0%
Panda meat tastes good. 6 46.15%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

chrisman 007's Flag is: Christmas Islands

Location: The People's Glorius Republic of the Chrisman Union. Also known as my bedroom.
Default Are Carbon Fibre bikes good?

Me and my friend have been having an argument over whether Carbon Fibre bikes are good or not. So, instead of wasting countless hours, we'll ask you guys to decide instead.

So, are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
Buy a beartrap. How will it help in retrospect? Use your imagination. I'm sure you can think of something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 08:19 PM
is going to DISNEY LAND

khorneflake's Flag is: USA

apparently panda meat tastes excellent.

carbon fibre bikes are good, but rather heavy (its been a whille so i may have that backwards) you dont get that "weightless" feeling when you ride one. go for it if your'e in the city, but for the suburban and rural, i reccomend something else.

http://host71690.123flashchat.com/TalkWargaming/
Pop a cold one and join us in the TalkWargaming flaschat!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 11:12 PM

SpaNNerZ's Flag is: Australia

It all comes down to what you plan on doing with your bikes, my brother rides freestyle BMX and is insane at it (earned something like 12 grand at the Beijing X games or something like that), as myself I'm more of a dirt/mountain rough and tough off road kinda stuff, which means that most of our bikes are aluminum/steel/titanium or an alloy of that kind, as its more durable, or so I'm lead to believe. As carbon fibre is used more so in road bikes as carbon fibre is low weight and still has resistance to fatiguing and can be made streamline, infact the last I think 4 tour de frances have been won on carbon. Thats not to say road bikes arent made out of aluminum or steel or even titanium (which is fast becoming more popular, its on drawbacks is the pricetag and the complexity of working with it)

So in short, depends on how your needs are and what you plan on doing.

Peace out

On the internet, the men are men, the women are men and the children are FBI agents.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-09, 12:28 AM

Carbon Fibre is very, very light and also very, very strong. It can take a shitload of stress before it even cracks, let alone breaks. The downside is, carbon fibre is very expensive too. You get what you pay for, but you will pay more than a normal bike of the same type. IE Mountain or Road bike. If you have the extra cash, I would suggest doing it as you won't be replacing it anytime soon and it would be a good investment.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-09, 11:19 AM

I reckon they can be as they're light which will make them faster and can be much stronger than you expect if you've never heard of carbon fibre and it's qualities. If you mean bikes as in mountain bikes then they're good, but if you mean bikes with motors on the back which annoy you when you're stuck in a traffic jam an they go down the motorway between you and the car next to you, then they're also good for one reason only... You're protected from the bullets, poles and baseball bats that will come flying at you when you drive past everybody in a traffic jam.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-09, 11:43 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

You looking for Motor Bikes or Pedal Bikes?

Motor Bikes, Carbon Fibre all the way. Doesn't look as classy as the Aluminium/Chrome on some of the Daytona's and early 90's supers, but Carbon Fibre is easier to replace these days, and less expensive due to the availability of parts.

For a Pedal Bike, depends what you want. Casual use, go for Aluminium. Cheaper, and no real need for anything lighter, unless you're a slow, lazy, unfit fat fuck who needs Oxygen after just getting to the top of the stairs. If you're not, then Steel is your man. Downhill? I'd say Steel. More speed, but harder to control. Mountain Biking? Aluminium. Less stress in the legs on the long curving uphills. Road racing? No competition - Carbon Fibre.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-09, 12:10 PM

Crude's Flag is: New Zealand

could be wrong but i think aluminiums lighter but it bends like crazy! makes me so angry, my bike never has straight handle bars for long on account of my slipping on a corner or something! lol

but as far as i know it doesn't get much better than carbon fiber. ever heard of the britten? pretty much all carbon fiber. light weight and tough as nuts

A computer once beat me at chess...
It was no match for me at kick boxing

Last edited by Crude; 04-08-09 at 12:21 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-09, 10:16 AM
dtq

Carbon fibre frames are generally slightly lighter than aluminium frames. But that is not the only reason it gets used a lot. I ride road bikes, and there Carbon fibre see's a lot of use, it can actually make for a far more comfortable ride, all but the cheapest of road bikes these days have carbon forks, the better models normally have carbon fibre seat posts as well, carbon fibre rear triangles are becoming popular, not for the sake of saving a few grammes but to make a more comfortable ride.

Carbon Fibre IS a great material for road bikes, its not just for racers looking at saving every gramme, its great for commuters and lesiure riders as well. It provides a lot of the comfort of a steel frame but with less weight than alu.

One of carbon fibres biggest draw backs is that when it goes it tends to go suddenly and completely it cracks rather than deforms, there are some quality issues with badly built carbon frames leading to early failures, but a decent quality carbon fibre frame is no less durable than a decent quality alu frame.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-09, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

chrisman 007's Flag is: Christmas Islands

Location: The People's Glorius Republic of the Chrisman Union. Also known as my bedroom.

Err...you guys were meant to say it wasn't good....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
Buy a beartrap. How will it help in retrospect? Use your imagination. I'm sure you can think of something.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode