How to combat the "toys" Argument? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

when in doubt, shoot!'s Flag is: Scotland

Default How to combat the "toys" Argument?

Hey all
At my school warhammer club, we get a lot of instances of passers by wandering in, only for them to see the fat kid in the corner clashing models together and shouting:
"Bang, bang! Aaarghh! You got me!"
There is also one child who doesn't actually collect warhammer, but brings in a box of toy soldiers, sets out scenery and just plays around. It is so embarrasing when someone from outside the club comes in.
This brings me to my question, how do you get rid of (or at least lessen) the idea of fellow pupils (or co workers or whatever) into thinking warhammer isn't just little plastic toy soldiers? Well, I know it is, but how do you make it more....mature...Sounding?

Any witty comebacks or help would be welcome, as the amount of hecklers at my school is insane. Thanks!

Back to business!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 02:49 PM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by when in doubt, shoot! View Post
"Bang, bang! Aaarghh! You got me!"

Well, I know it is, but how do you make it more....mature...Sounding?

Any witty comebacks or help would be welcome, as the amount of hecklers at my school is insane. Thanks!
first dont do those childish sounds, that'll prolly stop them from making fun.

thats how id make it more mature

to stop the hecklers, two options 1) lock the door; 2) kick ass if they dont stop laughing.

i know that these are obvious ways to fix the problems, but their also the easiest and not yet mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 02:52 PM

Underground Heretic's Flag is: USA

Well, to be honest, it is just little plastic space men. But then football (soccer here in the states) is just running around kicking a ball under arbitratry rules for a pre-determined amount of time. It's a hobby that either you enjoy or don't. I was on athletic teams in high school, before I picked up 40k. Both are mainly to enjoy yourself with friends. If people you don't know don't like it, oh well. That being said, parents can get rather irked, and the ladies aren't always fans.

That which doesn't kill me has made a tactical mistake.

Rites of Battle Your source for 40k opinions, news, and hobby updates.
post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 03:42 PM

crabpuff's Flag is: USA

If it bothers you sit somewhere else. Regardless of what that kid is doing alot of people are going to think it is childish.

Chaos- Black Legion & Steel Brethren
W:16 D:7 L:9 W:9 D:2 L:5

Eldar Dragon Claws Corsairs
W:16 D:4 L:2

Da Skull Krushaz
W:27 D:2 L:13

Space Wolves
W:14 D:0 L:3
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

when in doubt, shoot!'s Flag is: Scotland

Yeah, he is kinda unpopular :p But it's that sort of person who is always noticed first. How would you promote warhammer at a school filled with yobs?

Back to business!
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 04:48 PM

Greatdevourer's Flag is: USA

If you want people to treat you seriously in regards to this hobby, then you are going to have to treat it seriously. That means setting the rules and enforcing them. You have a Warhammer club, meaning that the little child with the toy soldiers has to go.

Callous much? yes, but it's your club and your image and when people walk by, they aren't seeing a hobby where you spend hours crafting each soldier in your army, but a child playing soldiers.

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil.
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 04:49 PM

Revelations's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by when in doubt, shoot! View Post
A witty come back requires I know what was said in the first place; otherwise it's not so witty. There's nothing wrong with Toys my good man; my guns are toys, my Bike is a toy, women often play with 'Toys' and no one seems to bat an eye at that (although they certain keep them open at the thought).

Many comedians wouldn't be where they are today if they gave into hecklers. Goes for a lot of people and their respective positions. The moment you start ignoring those who judge you the more enjoyment you'll get out of life.

Or you could do what the drama club always used to do; make a big dramatic scene where you embrace the geekdom but come out stronger because the hecklers lose all power over you. I've done it on occassion; their reactions are usually priceless.

Pondering...
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 06:12 PM

Whizzwang's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatdevourer View Post
You have a Warhammer club, meaning that the little child with the toy soldiers has to go.
or you could actually sit down with him and get him involved in our hobby.

"hey little fat kid (or you know, use his name), so you think those marines, orks, elves, fishmen are cool? How would you like to learn how they ACTUALLY fight and shoot and blow big holes in each others heads?"

The Infernal Council of the Lord of Nine Tzeentch C:SM Project Log
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 06:50 PM

Icon

If you had the time, you could seriousley confuse the people who are making fun of this hobby by explaining the infinately complex rules which they could not possibly undersatand. The people who make fun of warhammer are not even intellgent enough to grasp the concept, which is why they make fun of it to try and redeem themselfs in others eyes. Also warhammer can be seen as an art, if made and painted well enough warhammer looks very good, and, perhaps then these people would kill to have some warhammer because it looks so great.

Ive also had this experiance from other people , id keep it out of school and stick to after school clubs or meeting up at weekends.

I hope this helps you, it did for me.

Last edited by Renwold; 04-06-09 at 06:52 PM.
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 06:50 PM

lawrence96's Flag is: United Kingdom

show them the rule book and codexes, everyone knows that toys dont come with that much reading required!

Quisnam praesumo, successio

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode