How to combat the "toys" Argument? - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-15-09, 01:25 PM

Lord Lucius's Flag is: Wales

actually...I agree admiralldick...for the most part,but what do you say about little shits who wont take no for an answer,I say forcibly remove them from the premisis

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature
history distorts everything...
wise words...
history abhores a paradox
join chaos...we have cookies
come to RPG Resources we have morenow with link!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-15-09, 02:19 PM

admiraldick's Flag is: United Kingdom

there have become two strands in this thread; the original question - what do you do about people who bring your hobby into ill repute from within. and the question most people have answered - what do you do about people who mock your group from outside.

in a school situation, it is not hard to see what you do if there is someone from outside the group that really doesn't want to join in, but keeps attacking the group either verbally or physically. you invlove a teacher or staff member. its not your job as a student to be policing the school or even people's behavoir, and where possible you should be tolerant and accepting. however, where it is genuinely causing a problem it is the teachers responsibility to deal with poor behavior (as they would with any other club, group or society).

if your a staff member, then you should already know that its your job to defend clubs from unrulely students so you really shouldn't be asking the question.
post #43 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-15-09, 02:30 PM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

The way I've always made it out to be a more mature thing than it really is is by spinning it as a craft more than a game. When people pass by in the store and I'm painting, I place more emphasis on the "You build and paint your own army, and there's a game you can play with them... but it's mostly a modelling and painting thing" kind of explanation than the "In the grim darkness of the future, there are only plastic spacemen fighting on styrofoam terrain, with dice and soda cans and nerds at the controls."

Then again, I haven't gotten a game in in about two months (*twitches from withdrawl symptoms*) so lately, it actually -has- been more about the painting than the gaming.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #44 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-15-09, 02:50 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

I love all these comments like "remove them by force, kick them out, punch em, beat them up" etc, it reminds you of how many people really don't live on planet earth anymore, especially when the original question is in a school environment, beyond retarded advice to defend a game of toys

post #45 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-15-09, 03:07 PM

well for one thing you can't because "yobs" or chavs or toe rags would be to thick or retarded to play it,because all they can do is knife people and make the place look messy! All you can do is tell them to get a job!!
post #46 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-15-09, 03:31 PM

The toys argument looking realisticly here, if they were toys they would be for 3 and up yeay old kids for gods sake! They just have somthing against creativity! And to combat these people just hold a competition with orbital bombardment turned off then they could not win!! Mwuaah
post #47 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-15-09, 08:54 PM

No they aren't toy soldiers they are tools-used-to-represent-soldiers-combating-one-another-in-a-combat-situation-such-as-in-a-war

My Miniatures Painting Services

http://www.freewebs.com/sagemonkey/

Click it!

post #48 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-15-09, 10:39 PM

HivefleetIngensus's Flag is: Canada

True, quite true. But I think the "focus" on the painting and assembling part seems quite reasonable.

But I still stand with my keep-out-of-school idea, but that is only because I go to a gangsta high school ( freakin' awesome place, love it there).

Trollbloods: 16 points of awesome
Tyranids: 2000 points

post #49 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-16-09, 08:26 AM

admiraldick's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Kashnizel View Post
No they aren't toy soldiers they are tools-used-to-represent-soldiers-combating-one-another-in-a-combat-situation-such-as-in-a-war
except of course they aren't tools in any sense of the word, but they are toys because their only purpose is for your personal entertainment and enjoyment.

trying to deny that the reason you have them is for fun is never going to convince anyone of anything. you clearly do not find this a chore, no matter how bizarrely seriously you take the game. and the more serious and 'unfun' you try and make it sound the more scorn you will reap from other people.

you wouldn't have an issue refering to your ipod, TV or even motorbike as a 'toy', without starting to foam at the mouth. so why get so annoyed when people call your little toy men what they are, toys. not everything that is a toy is for children, and everyone has toys of one sort or another.

being willing to accept that makes the whole hobby seem a lot more interesting than listening to a bunch of stuffy nobodies complain that you don't really understand what's going on even though they audiably make the noise of the guns when rolling dice.
post #50 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-16-09, 08:49 AM

Lord Lucius's Flag is: Wales

when you put it like admiral dick ,that ,your right ,they ARE just toys ,just like my bow or gun ,if you get enjoyment from it ,its a toy! dont bother actually countering the argument, just point out that a bike,ipod whatever is also a toy

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature
history distorts everything...
wise words...
history abhores a paradox
join chaos...we have cookies
come to RPG Resources we have morenow with link!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode