How to combat the "toys" Argument? - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-08-09, 11:29 AM

Lord Lucius's Flag is: Wales

wats realy funny was when some proper nerd(yes) with inch thick glasses walks into your club acting all "hard" and mouthing off "oh playing with little toy soldiers are you !fucking retarded that"(yeah coming from a toatal geeky four eyes (I have glasses to so dont take that as an insult!)) and starting to up set this really unstable girl (bad choice , cos if I didnt start on him she would probably slit his throught,or worse).so I square up to him, he takes a swing at me and practically bounces of off me,so I gentley shove him towards the door,and he fell over!! right laugh! jonrocs(on this forum) was there as well he could probably tell you more
so ,to sum up ,just give the hecklers a hiding, show them that not all rpers and war gamers are weedy little geeks

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature
history distorts everything...
wise words...
history abhores a paradox
join chaos...we have cookies
come to RPG Resources we have morenow with link!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-08-09, 12:41 PM

Baalirock's Flag is: USA

Models > Toys. Taking pieces of metal and plastic, glueing them together, and painting them to take a unified shape in an army is building models, not playing with toys. I've found that you can take away a lot of the bluster of some people by showing them what you models looked like before they were assembled, and what they look like all assembled and painted. That takes time and talent, yo!

I also wholeheartedly agree about your little army men straggler. Show him the ropes of the hobby, and try to get him to play. If he likes army men, maybe there's an IG player who will let him control a unit for a battle. If the kid still seems interested, maybe everyone from the club could chip in to get this kid a box of troopers or something. A small amount from everyone could really help him get into the hobby!

"Free yourself from yourself". -MJK

post #33 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-08-09, 06:04 PM

CamTheApostle's Flag is: USA

I suggest you either a) get a bunch of 20+ soldiers involved in your club who can glare at any who dare insult their precious toys... I mean models; or b) get a shotgun and mount it next to a sign that says "Any who call these models 'toys' will be shot. Survivors will be asked to leave." That ought to shut them up.

Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.

"Violence?" "Yes."

Well, that is my $0.03 worth (damn you weak american dollar!)
post #34 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-08-09, 07:11 PM

Spot The Grot's Flag is: United Kingdom

TBH at the end of the day people like or hate thats just a fact. Nobody in my school know i do the stuff and i'm hoping it remains that way.My mate openly admitted having the stuff and he hasn't heard the last of it. Its all giving into that sort of peer pressure crap.

My bro's school actualy have a warahammer club , i'm gonna join it probably when i join it for 6th form . Its especially better there as its done after school which means no passers by or whatever.There even quite a few teachers that do the stuff.
post #35 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-08-09, 07:49 PM

hi alec i wonder who the fat kid in the coner is?? hmmmmm.. who happens to eat out of a troff????

1)oh well i would say lock the door
2)use Tewkesbury as a battering ram
3)Put tatty head in frount of the door. Well that would not work because it would block out the light and if sombody had a masher tatty head would die!!!!!!
post #36 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-08-09, 08:06 PM

Ordo Xeno Commander's Flag is: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
I suggest you either a) get a bunch of 20+ soldiers involved in your club who can glare at any who dare insult their precious toys... I mean models; or b) get a shotgun and mount it next to a sign that says "Any who call these models 'toys' will be shot. Survivors will be asked to leave." That ought to shut them up.

"Violence?" "Yes."
I must correct this sign

"Any who calls these models 'toys' will be shot. Survivors will be shot again"
post #37 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-09-09, 11:00 AM

Dafistofmork's Flag is: United Kingdom

once, in a store, some kid started "playing" with my termies-whilst i was half-way through a game.
what i did was i asked him politly to please stop playing with my modles. solution.

humm, true. This is yet again proof the Orks are smarter the Elves.-Micklez
post #38 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-10-09, 08:33 AM

Sarcasm's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Lol. Thats going in the sig. And on topic the way to deal with it, as others have said, is simply not to play in school. I don't so i never have a problem with this sort of thing.

A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk In Dark Places
post #39 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-10-09, 01:22 PM

CamTheApostle's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafistofmork View Post
once, in a store, some kid started "playing" with my termies-whilst i was half-way through a game.
what i did was i asked him politly to please stop playing with my modles. solution.
Good for you, being polite. Depending how much 'playing' was going on, I would probably reacted from a calm, yet stern "Don't touch those" to a very aggravated "What the fuck do you think you are doing?" Slap the kid, deck the parent. Of course, here in the US the hobby tends to be more popular with adult males in their 20s. Soldiers are pretty common where I live. So the little shits... I mean 'children' tend to be a bit more respectful of our stuff.

Well, that is my $0.03 worth (damn you weak american dollar!)
post #40 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-10-09, 01:55 PM

admiraldick's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
Lol. Thats going in the sig. And on topic the way to deal with it, as others have said, is simply not to play in school. I don't so i never have a problem with this sort of thing.
i don't honestly think that is the answer. i think that that just postpones the problem and breeds into the hobby an atmosphere that says its supposed to be mocked (and only those deserving of mockery should play).

i also think that there has been a lot of very bad advice handed out in this thread. clearly threats of violence and attempts at offence are only going land you in even greater piles of mockery. the solution to the problem will never be trying to exclude people.

the real solution is trying to get everyone involved at a level they can cope with. younger players don't need to be 'playing the game' if all they are interested in is the miniatures, and curious on lookers should be introduced positively, not scowled at because they don't smell and have crap facial hair.

of course on lookers are always going to be able to mock you, but if you have a good group of friends that always have fun when they get together, there are going to be far more people that want a piece of the action than people who want a piece of you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode