WARNING about Palladous the freelance writing company - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By darkreever

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-26-18, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Default WARNING about Palladous the freelance writing company

Palladous is literally the worst freelance writing company I have ever come across. They pay you slave wages, literally like $3 an hour, and expect extremely high quality writing and if they aren't exactly happy with your writing, they will send it back for multiple fussy revisions. For example, they will pay you 6 dollars for a 400 word article. So it will take between 30 to 60 minutes to write the article, including the research for it. Then they'll send it back for one or two or even three revisions, so writing one article ends up taking 2 hours. Palladous thus pays you $3 dollars an hour. My strong warning is do not even waste your time with this worthless trashy company. Palladous is a SCAM!

THIS is why we need strong labor laws in America and in the UK (where the company is based). There are currently no laws regarding minimum wage requirements for freelance work. In other words, if someone hires you for a freelance job, there is no legal requirement that they pay you minimum wage.

But I guess I'm "entitled" because I don't want to work for $3 dollars an hour?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-26-18, 02:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillysBadFurDay View Post
Palladous is literally the worst freelance writing company I have ever come across. They pay you slave wages, literally like $3 an hour,
First, what the hell are you talking about? Who is Palladous and what do they have to do with Heresy Online? I get that this is off topic and doesn't necessarily have to do with miniature modeling but still this seems pretty random. (Might, in fact, be better in pointless venting.)

Quote:
and expect extremely high quality writing
Find a company or group that doesn't expect high quality. Thats not giving anyone an excuse to bad business practices, but companies don't employ people with the expectation that they will accept poor quality work.

Quote:
and if they aren't exactly happy with your writing, they will send it back for multiple fussy revisions.
If a work doesnt fit a company's quality expectation it is their right to send it back for revision or deny its use/publication. This can be seen just about everywhere: go to a restaurant and order a burger medium rare but get one that is well done, your not gonna just accept it.

Quote:
For example, they will pay you 6 dollars for a 400 word article. So it will take between 30 to 60 minutes to write the article, including the research for it.
So is that $6 in addition to the $3 an hour or including it? Four hundred words isn't exactly that hard to write, and personally I often find myself having to trim down stuff with maximum word allowances. The writing portion, I have found, takes me the least amount of time. Its parsing through information I have gathered in research that takes the longest, and even then I can research multiple topics at the same time and churn quality work out within a reasonable amount of time.

Assuming its $6 per article plus the $3 an hour, I don't see a reason not to dedicate an hour or even two to that research/planning and then write four to eight articles. Assuming an hour to write everything, depending on your typing speed, you'd be looking at the equivalent of $10-18 an hour.

Quote:
Then they'll send it back for one or two or even three revisions, so writing one article ends up taking 2 hours.
Again, if you dedicate a block of time to researching for multiple articles, I'm of course assuming you can get multiple topics assigned at the same time to work on as you can, then this should not be an issue.

Quote:
Palladous thus pays you $3 dollars an hour. My strong warning is do not even waste your time with this worthless trashy company. Palladous is a SCAM!
Honestly, I'd have to review your work and your process before outright condemning a company for its practices and policies.

Quote:
There are currently no laws regarding minimum wage requirements for freelance work.
Freelance work is, by definition, independent work that allows you, the freelancer, to work for multiple organizations without being tied to any one. You enter a contract with organizations, which generally dictates pay rate, classifies the organization as the client (allowing them to determine deadline and ultimately if the quality of your work lives to their standard.) You get to determine how you work, the hours you work, and who you work for.

Quote:
In other words, if someone hires you for a freelance job, there is no legal requirement that they pay you minimum wage.
When entering a contract with a company or organization, you both determine the rate of pay for your services. Ultimately, if you accept contract/freelance work from someone than you are accepting that pay rate, regardless of whether or not it is above minimum wage.

Quote:
But I guess I'm "entitled" because I don't want to work for $3 dollars an hour?
Without seeing the quality of your work or your work process its not entirely fair for anyone to say whether you are entitled or not. This whole post comes across as whingey, but again thats initial reaction based on limited information.

For the record, including research, revising what I wrote, and check word count (501 before this statement) this has taken me eighteen minutes to write.
mrknify likes this.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-27-18, 09:38 AM

Dear billydbadfurday,

I hope this find you well, as I see your anger has ruffled your feathers. Some have a penchant for writing, others do not.

I noticed at the beginning, when your rage seemed at its highest your article (op) was fragmented and as you progressed it evened out.

Writing is art, sometimes you get lucky- sometimes you don't. When it comes to my hobby, I have good days and bad days. I get a tremor in my hands, not so bad as I become usless, but enough where I can not paint. You could say its more of an anxiety.

Short articles are easier to write themselves, you just need to use math. Wait what has math got to do with writing, this guy must be full of $4!7....

Math, really has nothing to do with it, but the formulaic concept of math is the key; you have your constants- they string together, bringing structure. Then you have your variables;

Variables in any writing are key; who what where when. These are what you research and use to fill the gaps in your writing.

Like math, everything must be in proper order to entice a reader to continue, delving deeper into the intricate painting you have created or if you prefer developed.

Heres a picture of my kitten to brighten your day.

I am that which lurks.

Last edited by mrknify; 10-27-18 at 09:40 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode