Any X-Wing Players? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-17, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

Default Any X-Wing Players?

Just picked up the force awakens core set, rebel aces, and imperial veterans in order to give myself a decent start.

Played when the game first came out, but the lack of options created a lot of mono ship builds and things became very stale very quick. Now though, with nearly a dozen expansion waves in, even though there are still some clearly great builds there are quite a lot of options available.

So my fellow heretics, who else plays x wing?

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-17, 09:07 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

I played it up until wave seven or eight, then tired of chasing the meta, and playing Y Wing TLT lists. Everyone I played with got seriously competitive, where as I prefer a more relaxed style of play, like building fluffy lists from the movies. I have about 40 ships sitting on a shelf untouched in more than a year.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-17, 11:25 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

I haven't played in a while but kept up until the most recent couple waves. Only get so much time to go out and hobby with people as opposed to build stuff at home, and 40k has me hooked right now.

It's a really fun game though and there's a god damned ton of variety in the game, hard counters to everything if your friends get spammy. Just wish you could buy cards separate from ships without eBay.

You have a solid base of ships there, what sort of squadrons are you thinking of using? I suppose I mean beyond T-70/A-Wing/B-Wing vs. 2x Interceptors/2x TIE/FOs. Are you required to have the cards or can you write up/print off what you need to run squadrons to your taste?

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-17, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Just wish you could buy cards separate from ships without eBay.
Yeah that is kind of annoying.

Quote:
You have a solid base of ships there, what sort of squadrons are you thinking of using? I suppose I mean beyond T-70/A-Wing/B-Wing vs. 2x Interceptors/2x TIE/FOs.
Imperial veterans actually gives me a defender and a bomber, imperial aces comes with two interceptors.

As initial builds given what I have, I'm currently looking at:
-Rebels-

-Empire-

Quote:
Are you required to have the cards or can you write up/print off what you need to run squadrons to your taste?
When my buddy and I play at his place, we occassionally use cards we currently do not possess. I actually did this with a yt-2400 build, we had all of two of the appropriate cards on hand so I just played the rest off my squadron builder app.

The store I play at, however, does require the cards to play. Luckily the owner has multiple copies of cards that players may borrow, and ships as well if your looking to try a different build.

All in all I'm looking to get the most wanted and punishing one expansions next, give myself a scum option as well.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Last edited by darkreever; 09-19-17 at 03:50 PM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-17, 07:32 PM

Me and the mrs go the starter set, and then the Force awakens one (just for the cards and dice really, but the alt ships were a nice bonus.
We then bought a 'select' ship - she wanted the millennium falcon, so i got fettes vette!

We have a blast, but really want to find new players and some alternative scenarios.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-20-17, 12:48 AM

Ah yes, Veterans not Aces. Can't say I have much experience flying Imperial anyway as I prefer Scum when I'm not rolling Rebels but I will say Tractor Beam is a bit of a waste of time. I thought it was soooooOOOooooo cool when it came out but have yet to have it really do anything for me.

Keyan Farlander with Push the Limit is worth checking out, and I was having a good amount of fun with T-70's outfitted w. PtL, Vectored Thrusters, R2 Astromech, and Integrated Astromech. Kinda hilariously close to an arc dodger; I've caught a lot of people off guard with T-70's that can reposition that effectively. Putting Test Pilot on Jake is....weird? You don't have one EPT let alone two equipped. I do like the pilot and used him a lot just can't think of what I did. Two shot ships have a lot less utility in my experience as anything but low Pilot Skill blockers as they don't generate much damage.

Starting Scum....hmmmmm.......as much as the Most Wanted pack is crucial if you want cards I find the ships you get in it boring as all fuck to play. Best thing about the whole box is Palob Godalhi and you have to buy the ship separate to play him. Scum is probably my favourite faction but I seem to like weird builds according to 'the internet', though I've never had much problem winning matches. My favourite ships are the YV-666 (with repainted Nashtah Pup of course), Jumpmaster, and Mist Hunter.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-23-17, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

Quote:
but I will say Tractor Beam is a bit of a waste of time.
Oh believe me, I'd choose just about anything else if any of the sets I own came with a different turret. Right now since I'm using the Tie/D title I can fire both the tractor beam and primary weapon each turn. Thats so getting swapped for an ion cannon as soon as I get one.

Quote:
Keyan Farlander with Push the Limit is worth checking out,
Oh no, thats another thing I wholeheartedly plan on doing once I get it. When I was using Keyan in my last game, it was essentially move, target lock, ptl: barrel roll; and now I'm pretty much guaranteed +2 hits.

Quote:
Putting Test Pilot on Jake is....weird? You don't have one EPT let alone two equipped. I do like the pilot and used him a lot just can't think of what I did. Two shot ships have a lot less utility in my experience as anything but low Pilot Skill blockers as they don't generate much damage.
Yeah I agree, and the reason test pilot is there is because the eventual plan is two give him 2 (right now I could throw crack shot on there to burn with the rockets). Since its a 0 point card, whether its on there or not makes no difference at this stage.

Quote:
Starting Scum....hmmmmm.......as much as the Most Wanted pack is crucial if you want cards I find the ships you get in it boring as all fuck to play.
Yeah I'm rethinking my next purchases. I've played scum before, and they are powerful, but you do need a fair few expansions to properly kit them out. Unlike either empire or rebels, scum appears to favour two ship squadrons almost to the exclusion of other builds.

So, for now, putting scum on the backburner and expanding my rebels and empire instead. Now I'm looking at Imperial Aces, a B-wing, a tie advanced, the outrider, and either a second T-70 or an original x-wing. This gives me ion cannons and push the limit, Wedge/Ello, and a nice selection of other upgrades/cannons/missiles/torpedoes.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-23-17, 04:30 PM

Ah, I was making suggestions based on the ability to print off or otherwise reference cards not in your collection. Needing the cards to play really hobbles a wider experience of the game. As for the things you're thinking of,

Imperial Aces is a great buy. Fun ships and cards applicable to a lot of different list builds.

B-Wings are cool ships and you have one already, two in a list is a lot of hull points for your enemy to burn through.

TIE Advanced gives you Vader, who is ultimately cool, but if you really want this ship to shine you'll have to find someone who's bought the Raider and doesn't want all their TIE/x1 cards.

....that being said, damn it man just buy a Raider one day. One of the best packed boxes in the game I'd say.

The YT-2400 was a staple of tournament lists for a while and still sees use. It's a pretty fun ship to fly.

Another T-70 I'd say would be a solid addition, since it gives you more pilots and solid cards. I have three since I also got Heroes of the Resistance (another great Rebel buy) and that squadron is a tough one for my opponents to beat. Ello Asty (hilariously, a play off the Beastie Boys 'Hello Nasty') is one of my favourite pilots to use with the ship even if I'm only using one in the squad.

As for the T-65 Wedge is great but can be very hard to use. They aren't overly maneuverable ships and you may find against most Imperial players, who mostly have quite nimble ships, you will need a ship specifically as a blocker to help him line up shots. A lot of people will include Biggs in lists because he's great at helping keep someone way stronger alive for a few rounds but he's a core set pilot.

I don't know if any of that is useful or applicable to you, but it's pretty rare that I get to talk about X-Wing stuff these days and I didn't realize I had typed all I had until I got to the end there.

Woo Star Wars I guess?

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-23-17, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Ah, I was making suggestions based on the ability to print off or otherwise reference cards not in your collection. Needing the cards to play really hobbles a wider experience of the game.
Right, I'm looking at it two different ways at the same time. My build options with what I have and the fact that I can borrow.

Quote:
TIE Advanced gives you Vader, who is ultimately cool, but if you really want this ship to shine you'll have to find someone who's bought the Raider and doesn't want all their TIE/x1 cards.

....that being said, damn it man just buy a Raider one day. One of the best packed boxes in the game I'd say.
Haha, next wave of expansion purchases maybe. On the rebel side, blockade runner or transport?

Quote:
The YT-2400 was a staple of tournament lists for a while and still sees use. It's a pretty fun ship to fly.
Yeah my gaming group varies up the lists a lot so I've seen it flown several times.

Quote:
Another T-70 I'd say would be a solid addition, since it gives you more pilots and solid cards. I have three since I also got Heroes of the Resistance
Yeah thats another future purchase for when I want to have the falcon.

Quote:
Ello Asty (hilariously, a play off the Beastie Boys 'Hello Nasty')
Seriously? Thats badass

Quote:
I don't know if any of that is useful or applicable to you, but it's pretty rare that I get to talk about X-Wing stuff these days and I didn't realize I had typed all I had until I got to the end there.
Yes its very useful @ntaw , if only to reinforce my thoughts on future purchases and solidify my next round of them.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-17, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Dextus View Post
Me and the mrs go the starter set, and then the Force awakens one (just for the cards and dice really, but the alt ships were a nice bonus.
From what I've heard this is one of the best things you can do, since it doubles your dice pool, give you two sets of movement counters, and because there are enough pilot mats you can field a squadron of up to four regular or FO ties and two T-65 or T-70's.

Quote:
We then bought a 'select' ship - she wanted the millennium falcon, so i got fettes vette!
I was actually thinking about getting the firespray or heroes of the resistance sets myself, but I've also heard they are two of the four large expansions everyone goes for first (alongside the decimator and outrider.)

Quote:
We have a blast, but really want to find new players and some alternative scenarios.
Well @Brother Dextus if your near NJ in the US I think thats more than possible

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode