Any X-Wing Players? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-17, 01:03 PM

I keep reading this thread and am getting nearer to persuading the Mrs to have another game... keep going guys - only another week of hassling her and the dinng table will become a space battle
(Aslo, the nearer the new film gets to release, the greater the chances!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-17, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

Thats awesome to see @Dex tus, I'm actually planning on tossing a number of lists on here based on what I have.

Which at this time comprises of:
-Rebels-
2 T-70 X wings
2 B wings
2 A wings
1 YT-1300 (HotR Falcon)
1 YT-2400 (Outrider)

-Empire-
2 FO Tie's
2 Tie defenders
2 Tie interceptors
1 Tie bomber
1 Tie aggressor
1 Upsilon

On another note, what do you guys think should be my next expansion purchases? As with all my other purchases I'll be buying something for both rebels and empire and each is limited to one large ship or two small ships. This is what I'm currently considering:
-1 Tie aggressor and 1 Tie advanced
-2 Tie fighters
-1 Tie fighter and 1 SF Tie
-1 SF Tie and 1 Tie punisher
-Decimator

-U wing
-2 Z-95s headhunters
-1 Arc 170 and 1 T-65 X wing
-1 T-65 and 1 Z-95s
-2 Arc 170's
-1 Sabines Tie and 1 Arc 170

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-17, 01:44 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
I'm actually planning on tossing a number of lists on here based on what I have.
I look forward to seeing what you've come up with. I looked at the app yesterday perusing about the new stuff and realized that I have missed a lot of upgrade cards. Would you believe at one point (several waves ago mind you) I had pretty much every card's effect memorized? I can't even imagine trying for that at this point.

Quote:
-1 Tie aggressor and 1 Tie advanced
-2 Tie fighters
-1 Tie fighter and 1 SF Tie
-1 SF Tie and 1 Tie punisher
-Decimator
I'm not even gunna lie, the TIE F/Os are pretty much my favourite. TIEs is you're going for a swarm and want to run 7/8 ships. The SFs were pretty frustrating to use with their dial even with the rear arc and all the pretty upgrade cards. Can't say I have nearly as much experience with this one as I do everything else TIE. The Punisher I think is a really cool ship but always had a similarly hard time getting real mileage out of it. Could have been the way I was supporting the ship with the rest of my squadron. Decimator is hard not to love. Turrets are like playing the game on easy mode, and turrets sitting on 16 hit points can be akin to very easy depending on lists being played, but the ship is really a joy to run games with. At its cheesiest I used to play Chiraneau w. Isaard, Palpatine, and Expose and just fly straight at ships with 3 or 4 TIEs supporting. The Advanced really wants that glorious title card from the Raider box to be awesome. That being said Vader is still pretty awesome.

Quote:
-U wing
-2 Z-95s headhunters
-1 Arc 170 and 1 T-65 X wing
-1 T-65 and 1 Z-95s
-2 Arc 170's
-1 Sabines Tie and 1 Arc 170
Can't say I've ever used a lone T-65 in a list other than Biggs, and my Z-95s really collect dust even after the guidance chip card came out. Were I to use them it'd be as a pair though. Blount's ability is a very specific counter to cloaking device and triggers effects that need 'to hit' and Cracken is a little meh. The ARC I really like for its aesthetic and cards but without having actually tested builds properly I'm unsure of its real value in the wild and wacky world of X-Wing gameplay. U-Wing is just outside of my realm of knowledge.

Have you ever considered the K-Wing or TIE Phantom ships? I don't know how relevant they are 'on the scene' any more but they're really fun ships to fly. The Phantom used to be the most absolute fucking bonkers ass broken ship that ever existed but they fixed that.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-16-17, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
The Punisher I think is a really cool ship but always had a similarly hard time getting real mileage out of it.
I was thinking of running it alongside two tie bombers, have a bunch of bombs between the three ships and use the minefield mapper to place them all early.

Quote:
and my Z-95s really collect dust even after the guidance chip card came out. Were I to use them it'd be as a pair though. Blount's ability is a very specific counter to cloaking device and triggers effects that need 'to hit' and Cracken is a little meh.
My buddy ran a headhunter/a wing swarm list the other day. Five of the lowest point ships and I believe Cracken, with everything armed with missiles/torpedoes.

Quote:
The ARC I really like for its aesthetic and cards but without having actually tested builds properly I'm unsure of its real value in the wild and wacky world of X-Wing gameplay.
From what I've seen the arc is a great all around ship and seems to thrive in pairs, though overall they tend to work well with most other ships.

Quote:
I look forward to seeing what you've come up with.
This time around it'll be a few Empire lists, next time some Rebel ones:

Starting with the bomber/punisher squadron

Next up a mini swarm led by a defender

Now onto a dual aggressor squad

And finally a group designed to be highly maneuverable and be able to act in concert or on their own with equal efficiency.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-17, 12:24 PM

In our x-wing box we currently have the following:

Empire:
2 x Tie
2 x Tie FO
1 x Tie Advanced
1 x Firespray-31

Rebel:
1 x T65
1 x T70
1 x Arc-170
1 x YT-1300

I'm seriously drawn to playing scum to be honest - but not sure if i can run the firespray as scum?
I was thinking of getting the Rebel transport (big ship thing) as it would make for some nice scenarios, but not sure if it comes with any decent cards to make it worth it - cards seem to be the hardest thing to make the game more open (like each pilot is only for a particular ship, its oddly restricting, but makes it quite fun to play)

We're looking to get a scum set that would give us the options of any of the three (me and the mrs only really play against each other and both like to play as any faction). Any suggestions?? The most wanted is in the cart already, but theres only three ships so not sure how that would work in terms of points... (Can you put scum cards in random ships?)
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-17, 03:49 PM

Well, this site just ate another one of my large posts (for fuck's sake).

tl;dr version:

Arc-dodgers need to be able to both barrel roll and boost in the same turn otherwise they're not really that maneuverable.

The /x7 title on Defenders is really good, check it out.

Red dice are actually better at hitting than green dice are at evading. On a three attack ship spend points making it more survivable/maneuverable since its attacks will very likely do what you need them to by nature.

Most Wanted comes with cards for the Firespray and HWK as well, and the Jumpmaster is a really really cool Scum ship.

Anyone who forces you to use the actual FFG cards in a game outside of an official FFG event is a god damned asshat. I have over 50 ships but you want me to buy a $100 CR-90 so I can use the C-3P0 card on one of my two Falcon's? Get bent.

EDIT: Wait where did the 'other games' secton go on this site, why is this in 'off topic'?? I just went to start a questions:answered thread about X-Wing but what's the point in doing that if there isn't even a section for it to go anymore?

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Last edited by ntaw; 10-17-17 at 04:47 PM.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-17, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Dextus View Post
I'm seriously drawn to playing scum to be honest - but not sure if i can run the firespray as scum?
As is, no, but your already planning on getting the most wanted expansion which comes with scum cards for it. So in that purchase alone, given what you have, you will have access to four scum ships.

Quote:
I was thinking of getting the Rebel transport (big ship thing) as it would make for some nice scenarios, but not sure if it comes with any decent cards to make it worth it - cards seem to be the hardest thing to make the game more open (like each pilot is only for a particular ship, its oddly restricting, but makes it quite fun to play)
I would honestly recommend you download the squadron builder app on your phone, since it would tell you the card contents of an expansion that way you can know ahead of time what your getting in your purchase.

Quote:
Any suggestions??
From what I've seen there really isn't a whole lot of 'bad' choices when it comes to stuff for scum. I'd recommend the Scurrg bomber, the Jumpmaster 5000, and/or a pair of star vipers. (Those little bastards are very maneuverable and decent all arounders.

Quote:
The /x7 title on Defenders is really good, check it out.
Personally I prefer the /D title for the defender myself, and in my last game that saw me shred a firespray and force a nearly unharmed jumpmaster to fly off the board.

I've often seen the x7 title on Ryad though, so will definitely give it a look.

Quote:
Red dice are actually better at hitting than green dice are at evading. On a three attack ship spend points making it more survivable/maneuverable since its attacks will very likely do what you need them to by nature.
Very true, I was recently forced to watch in horror as four green dice failed to cancel a single critical hit that wound up killing my ship.

Quote:
EDIT: Wait where did the 'other games' secton go on this site, why is this in 'off topic'?? I just went to start a questions:answered thread about X-Wing but what's the point in doing that if there isn't even a section for it to go anymore?
Working on it.

Now as I said last time, some rebel lists:

Dash and Poe steamrolling

Dash-Rey paintrain

An answer to the interceptor/aggressor/defender squadron

A bit of a misfit squad

And finally BAX wing

Also, as it was pointed out to me last night, the dual bomber and punisher squadron would need each ship to have a minefield mapper in order to drop their bombs at the start. It really just means possibly shifting over who has what bomb or dropping some later on (thinking each bomber gets proximity mines and the punisher gets four cluster mines thanks to the extra munitions.)

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-17, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Personally I prefer the /D title for the defender
You may find that you're still killing ships just the same over maybe an extra turn or two but take less damage as it goes. It's also really hard to keep up with when you're always doing 3+ speed maneuvers for a lot of Rebel and Scum ships.

Quote:
Working on it.

Damn much less time than I thought at the keyboard. Will get back to those Rebel lists asap.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-17, 07:14 PM

We bought the most wanted expansion, and a star viper for the scum fleet...

The mrs wanted a wookie gunship as well - so we got one of those too
I think the net game will be the gunship and millennium falcon against scum!
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-21-17, 01:09 AM

We got our new ships today so we think we're going to have a game tomorrow (or today given its 2am now)
Millennium falcon + wookie protector ship vs black sun

The Kessel run....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode