How's It Going Bro's, My Name Is... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-17, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

Default How's It Going Bro's, My Name Is...

...not PewDiePie, its darkreever. I wish I was a man who has made millions doing what he loves rather than just a good living.

For anyone who recognizes the name, either being familiar or in passing, you may be aware of the most watched and subscribed person on YouTube and his becoming the target of media outlet The Wallstreet Journal for some of the jokes in a few of his video's.

If you don't know the name, PewDiePie (Felix Kjellberg) is a man who makes video's on youtube, mostly of him playing a wide variety of video games but he is not limited solely to that. His channel is the most watched in the world, with his content viewed more than 12 million times a day, and he has the most followers of any youtube channel at 53 million people. Pewds started his channel around 2011/early2012 and achieved 1 million subscribers in July of 2012.

So why a thread then? Well like I said before, I'm sure people here are aware of him being in the news recently. Three journalists from The Wallstreet Journal wrote an article about PewDiePie, painting him as an anti-semite because of about 10 jokes sprinkled throughout his hundreds of video's and taken out of context. This highlighting caused him to lose endorsements, and have his original series cancelled.

Pewds is a 27 year old college drop out who is living the dream. Watching a handful of his video's makes it clear the kind of man he is; the furthest thing from a racist.

While we are primarily a site based on plastic miniatures, that does not mean we can not also discuss other things within reason (those who remember WNCE a lack of people acting within reason is why we no longer have it.) So who's familiar with this whole thing and where do you stand? Who here counts themselves amongst the bro army?

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-17, 05:41 AM
Feed

I don't follow the guy since I'm not really into gaming or gaming channels, but this is exactly the sort of bullshit "journalism" that has made it so difficult to trust long standing news outlets lately. Of all the crap that's happening out there, it makes no sense to slander someone who doesn't harm anyone.

Some comedians regularly say far worse shit and get applauded for it.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-17, 07:24 AM
Thordis

Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands

meh Wallstreet bullshit dropped the ball on that one. they set out to drag him trough the mud and he only came out stronger despite losing 2 good deals because of them.

for some reason a bunch of media outlets are out to get the famous tuber. I have already seen multiple videos of youtubers supporting him while also admitting that the "kill all jews" joke went to far and was in bad taste. He himself admitted as much in a video about it as well.
I am definetly not a bro even if I watch the occasional video his style is not my taste, he does collabs with other youtubers I do follow like Markiplier and Jackcepticeye.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-17, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
This is about a "kill all jews" comment/sentiment that was repeated? I ask because no links to articles were provided. I can't think of a single context that I would find such a comment acceptable.
The reason I chose not to provide any links in my original post is partly due to the fact that whats going on is more or less old media vs new media. The major news outlets (WSJ, NBC, FOX, etc) are old media, a number of them painting Felix as an anti-semite monster who needs to tow the line. Outlets like YouTube and the people/channels within (though not the channels of the major outlets of course) are new media who are challenging the older views of the outlets and their attempt to demonize one of their own by taking his words/actions way out of context.

So depending on which source you look at, the point and view is fairly skewed. In my opinion new media is doing a bit better of a job remaining more objective, mostly because their argument revolves around common sense.

To give you an idea of what I mean, here are about half a dozen links to various news articles:
YouTube star PewDiePie shows the danger of mean humor played off as harmless - Chicago Tribune
https://smallbiztrends.com/2017/02/c....html#comments
https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/22/...-anytime-soon/
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/14/b...sney.html?_r=0

The Digital Down Low: The media hate PewDiePie | The Post
The media labeling PewDiePie as ?anti-Semitic? is dishonest | Opinion | breezejmu.org

The first four are like what I said before, they focus on out of context information to create a biased viewpoint. The last two are a bit more objective, with the sixth article from The Breeze going over the basics, breaking down the out of context information provided by WSJ, filling in the gaps that were intentionally left out, providing a link to the WSJ article and video that started everything, and of course giving their opinion.

That being said, here a link to the WSJ article and video. If you aren't subscribed to their site you'd have to do so to read the article, but you can watch the video no problem.

After doing that, watch this video from the man himself:

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-17, 05:55 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

"Im offended, I'm offended, I'm offended......." regretably we live in a world were you will be shouted down and scorned before anybody has even looked at what you have said in depth. Main stream media is rapidly losing any and all credibility, people like pewtdiepie and other bloggers youtubers or what have you, are a real threat to these guys, I bet they have been waiting ages to pounce on him. And of course once you bring up ZE NAZIS and their crimes you open yourself as a target. Not a bro myself, personally I'm quite jealous of people who chat less shit than me and make money out of it!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode