socialism is bad because.... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-30-08, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Wilder's Avatar
Wilder's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 60
Reputation: 1
Default socialism is bad because....

Socialism is bad because its a major milestone on the road from capitalism to communsim/dictatorship. Hence Hitler's Germany or Lenin-Stalin Russia.

Last edited by Wilder; 10-30-08 at 12:14 PM.
Wilder is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-30-08, 12:44 PM
Ex Mod.
 
cccp's Avatar
cccp's Flag is: Great Britain
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 4,245
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder View Post
Socialism is bad because its a major milestone on the road from capitalism to communsim/dictatorship. Hence Hitler's Germany or Lenin-Stalin Russia.
i don't believe this for a second. are you trying to say that any country with a socialist government is inevitably going to decline into a soviet paradise?

portugal is a socialist country, and that does not resemble stalinist russia in any shape or form.

Last edited by cccp; 10-30-08 at 01:01 PM.
cccp is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-30-08, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Wilder's Avatar
Wilder's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 60
Reputation: 1
Default

It very well could, yes. You only need one corrupt leader. Its alot easier in that type of government than any other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccp View Post
i don't believe this for a second. are you trying to say that any country with a socialist government is inevitably going to decline into a soviet paradise?

portugal is a socialist country, and that does not resemble stalinist russia in any shape or form.
So are other European Countries, however moral leaders must be in control. You use Portugal and I use Venezuela as my example.

Last edited by cccp; 10-30-08 at 01:32 PM.
Wilder is offline  
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-30-08, 01:30 PM
Must keep painting....
 
squeek's Avatar
squeek's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 2,977
Reputation: 1
Default

This idea that America might hiccup and suddenly become a socialist state without duly concerned citizens having a say so is hilarious. From an outsiders point of view your choice of candidates is right wing Obama or right wing McCain, the difference politically between them is hardly worth mentioning when you compare them to true left wing politicians.

It is a little surprising that otherwise intelligent and articulate people are taken in by these ridiculous press slander campaigns, and believe without question that a little more tax from rich people = decline in to a Stalinist dictatorship. For a start there are plenty of socialist countries that are doing just fine and have been doing fine for a long time, without the 'inevitable slide in to communism' being a problem. This laughable fear of anything more left wing than your Democrats (who by anyone elses standards are right wing) is a bit outdated now, the Cold War ended a long time ago! All it seems to be doing is distracting voters from actual politics.
squeek is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-30-08, 01:36 PM
Ex Mod.
 
cccp's Avatar
cccp's Flag is: Great Britain
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 4,245
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder View Post
It very well could, yes. You only need one corrupt leader. Its alot easier in that type of government than any other.
false again, and in this case i use WWII italy and germany as my example. both facist states, not communist. your argument simply doesn't stand up. its unreasonable to think of socialism and capitalism in terms of good and bad. left wing countries dont just hiccup into communist dictatorships, just like right wing ones don't hiccup into facism. its simply not the case at all.

there are a variety of reaasons why a country becomes a dictatorship, not just what side of the spectrum they are. this kind of theory sounds like the domino theory to me, and we all know how rediculous that sounds now.

Last edited by cccp; 10-30-08 at 01:38 PM.
cccp is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-30-08, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Wilder's Avatar
Wilder's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 60
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccp View Post
false again, and in this case i use WWII italy and germany as my example. both facist states, not communist. your argument simply doesn't stand up. its unreasonable to think of socialism and capitalism in terms of good and bad. left wing countries dont just hiccup into communist dictatorships, just like right wing ones don't hiccup into facism. its simply not the case at all.

there are a variety of reaasons why a country becomes a dictatorship, not just what side of the spectrum they are. this kind of theory sounds like the domino theory to me, and we all know how rediculous that sounds now.
I do believe I mentioined both communist and dictatorships ["facist states"](Which you ponit out germany and italy fall under). One could say that socialism is "bad" for this country and that capitalism is "good" for this country. In that respect good and bad can be used. And no you just dont wake up one day and your country is communist. It is one thing leading to another.
Dominoes hardly, more like a slow progression. Like a frog in hot water. You throw a frong into boiling water it'll jump right out. However, place him in colc water then slower turn up the heat. The frog will be dead before it knew what hit him.
Wilder is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-30-08, 01:54 PM
Senior Member
 
koppo's Avatar
koppo's Flag is: England
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Warrington, UK
Posts: 1,054
Reputation: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder View Post
Socialism is bad because its a major milestone on the road from capitalism to communsim/dictatorship. Hence Hitler's Germany or Lenin-Stalin Russia.
It seems you are confusing economic models and forms of government. Democracy is a form of government, as dictatorship, monarchy etc.

Capitalism is an economic model, as is socialism and communism.

You could have a democratic communism (in fact to have a true communism it is impossible for it to be any other way).

One could have a dictator in charge of a nation that is capitalist, as, I think, the fascist nations were.

In fact the most extreme form of capitalism is in fact anarchy. By no means does socialism "cause" dictatorship nor capitalism "cause" democracy. So no, not "hence" at all.

Your mother cooks socks in Hull!!
If somthing is worth doing, it's worth taking too far, "We set our motley puppets on the clouds and call them gods...","Ah! Now we see the violence inherent in the system!" "Come see the violence inherent in the system!" "HELP HELP! I AM BEING REPRESSED!"

"Quick! Poke it up her "wrongun" before it's to late!" Jezlad
koppo is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-30-08, 01:59 PM
Executive Nitpicker
 
Galahad's Avatar
Galahad's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 8,276
Reputation: 15
Default

I think we should save the debate on the virtues and natures of various socioeconomic models for a different thread.

That said, I think Squeek nailed it. The idea that raising taxes is going to suddenly send us tailspinning into some sort of communist dictatorship is insanely laughable. It's all pointless distraction.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!



Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior



Galahad is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-30-08, 02:06 PM
Senior Member
 
koppo's Avatar
koppo's Flag is: England
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Warrington, UK
Posts: 1,054
Reputation: 6
Default

Galahad, any chance of spawning the soicilism = bad debate it to another thread?

Your mother cooks socks in Hull!!
If somthing is worth doing, it's worth taking too far, "We set our motley puppets on the clouds and call them gods...","Ah! Now we see the violence inherent in the system!" "Come see the violence inherent in the system!" "HELP HELP! I AM BEING REPRESSED!"

"Quick! Poke it up her "wrongun" before it's to late!" Jezlad
koppo is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-30-08, 02:06 PM
Ex Mod.
 
cccp's Avatar
cccp's Flag is: Great Britain
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 4,245
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder View Post
I do believe I mentioined both communist and dictatorships ["facist states"](Which you ponit out germany and italy fall under). One could say that socialism is "bad" for this country and that capitalism is "good" for this country. In that respect good and bad can be used. And no you just dont wake up one day and your country is communist. It is one thing leading to another.
Dominoes hardly, more like a slow progression. Like a frog in hot water. You throw a frong into boiling water it'll jump right out. However, place him in colc water then slower turn up the heat. The frog will be dead before it knew what hit him.
all of this is totally irrelavent to your initial statement though - your statement to me showed that you see the two economic models as good and bad, black and white, moral upstanding country, or opressive dictatorship. and as far as i know, socialism doesnt directly *cause* a facist dictatorship either.

this is not, and never will be the case at all, slow progression scaremongering or not.

[edit] thread split - CCCP

Last edited by cccp; 10-30-08 at 02:10 PM.
cccp is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome