"Horror" movies - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-22-15, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loli View Post
If your going for games and have a PS4 try Until Dawn, I played it in the dark, no light, nothing but the game and its music, I jumped frequently. Admitedly when it reached a certain point - you know what i mean if you have played it - it can be off putting for the mood, but otherwise Id check it out.

I think horror movies generally are dead, but games however, thats a different story.
Do tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-27-15, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
Do tell.
I think what he's saying is that instead of preying on our most basic fears, modern horror movies are more about gore and action.
post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-27-15, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I think what he's saying is that instead of preying on our most basic fears, modern horror movies are more about gore and action.
I will definitely agree with that. Since last week, I've watched Pandorum, Cabin in the Woods and plan on watching Wolf Creek tonight. I've also watched the first of each of their series of Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Halloween (the original), and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The gore was certainly there, but, so we're the laughs. I see what @ntaw was talking about.
Honestly, I think there is more of actual horror in novels than movies. Still, I'd like to see someone make a good on screen version of H.P. Lovecraft's work.
post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-27-15, 11:15 AM
Thordis

Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands

Quote:
I'd like to see someone make a good on screen version of H.P. Lovecraft's work.
we can only hope. but I doubt there is anyone that can do propper justice to his work. (tho there are some games based on Lovecrafts work)
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-27-15, 11:20 AM
Jeepers

Loli's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
I will definitely agree with that. Since last week, I've watched Pandorum, Cabin in the Woods and plan on watching Wolf Creek tonight. I've also watched the first of each of their series of Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Halloween (the original), and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The gore was certainly there, but, so we're the laughs. I see what @ntaw was talking about.
Honestly, I think there is more of actual horror in novels than movies. Still, I'd like to see someone make a good on screen version of H.P. Lovecraft's work.
They exsist. The Lovecraft Appreciation Society- i think what its called - do movies of his films, they arent high budget or anything but I think they are pretty decent. Ill see if i can find them for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"Bubbles"....?

The Old World just became a fart in the bath.....
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-27-15, 11:28 AM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Still, I'd like to see someone make a good on screen version of H.P. Lovecraft's work.
I'd even go to the cinema and not complain about the prices......

Quote:
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-27-15, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haskanael View Post
we can only hope. but I doubt there is anyone that can do propper justice to his work. (tho there are some games based on Lovecrafts work)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loli View Post
They exsist. The Lovecraft Appreciation Society- i think what its called - do movies of his films, they arent high budget or anything but I think they are pretty decent. Ill see if i can find them for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
I'd even go to the cinema and not complain about the prices......
It's not like the man wrote expansive books of one continuous story like some Fantasy, Sci Fi, and Crime authors do. Most of his work could be done in a single two hour film for his longer stories and as compilation films for some of his shorter stories. What would be cool is to have like a three hour film with multiple short stories like The Statement of Randolph Carter and others. I've seen a couple Twilight Zone episodes that were obviously based on his work, but, just didn't get the treatment that they may have deserved.
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-27-15, 05:47 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
I've watched Pandorum
What did you think of it?

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-27-15, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
What did you think of it?
Well, borrowed it from a friend, returned it, and bought it at Half Price Books on my way home.
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-27-15, 10:22 PM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

I'm honestly in the same boat as you, sci fi and action were my go to genre growing up but mu sister was a horror fan so i saw mu fair share of duff b horror movies. Ironically exactly the sort of thing that Cabin in the woods parodies. I enjoy a couple of them just purely because i can switch off a little when they're on but i'll be honest the only horror films that've truly creeped me out after watching them are oriental horror. I can't believed that no one on here recommended Ju-on the grudge and Ring. Both are creepy as dicks if watched alone in the dark, ignore the us remakes they're poopoo. Dark water and the eye (again the remake is crap) have some tense moments as well, no killable monster, no rubber masks, no serial killers just a great attention to tension growth effects and slowly escalating dread.

There are a lot of games out there that'd fit into the horror genre and they're getting better, i personally find that as soon as you have a gun in your hand then a game looses its tension. I seem to remember AH playing a game called PT recently that looked pretty creepy though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode