McDonald's reveals self-checkout kiosks - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-15, 02:17 PM
Thordis

Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
The minimum wage in Australia currently is set to $16.87 per hour, however this is presuming an adult worker. I'm quite sure it's legal to pay somebody under the age of 18 less than this, which is why generally places like McDonalds prefer to hire teenagers. As I understand it it's only a margin of a few dollars per hour but over a week that can make a difference.

Essentially, this provides enough for most adults to live on on a weekly basis.

This would roughly equate to about $500 per week if it was converted to US currency. But I know the actual rate is much lower than that. So I wonder; if Mimimum wage in the US is not enough to live off, how the hell is it justified? And how will replacing those workers solve any problems without creating more?
im just going to point out, all of the above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-15, 03:50 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Honestly....just stop eating fast food.
Not a chance.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-15, 04:01 PM

Dakingofchaos's Flag is: United Kingdom

I actually work for McDonalds in a UK store, we've had these checkouts for a while, just self order points really. They help cut down queue times but would never replace staff. Minimum wage in the UK is plenty for me to live off as a student just working weekends!

'If you fail to prepare then you'd better prepare to fail'
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-15, 04:13 PM
Thordis

Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakingofchaos View Post
I actually work for McDonalds in a UK store, we've had these checkouts for a while, just self order points really. They help cut down queue times but would never replace staff. Minimum wage in the UK is plenty for me to live off as a student just working weekends!
yeah but thats in the UK I worked for MCDs for 3 years myself, could get a good enough living out of it.
but would not say the money pairs up to the shit work conditions me and my coworkers where working in (at my location anyhow).
there is a vast difference with the US minimum wage and ours tho.

Last edited by Haskanael; 06-18-15 at 04:17 PM.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-15, 07:24 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

I dunno about you, but If I had twice my wage i'd be spending it more. This miht not affect you 100granders but for me to get 80k, my quality of life would amplify tenfold. As would that of people I know who are on a yearly salary of 13k, half that of the national average.

So when you are criticising someone for working in macdonalds and asking for better working conditions, you are the kind of person taking money out of the economy.

Think about it this way. I work in contracts. My company builds houses. I make my money by ensuring that the guys we hire do what is needed within the money allocated to them. We make houses 400k (the equivalent of the american 650k house), because the 80k affprdable housing a) cpsts too much to build, b) has few people who it would be intended for capable of buying them, because low paying jobs who used to be able to get them like in cottage industries or its modern equivalent which is the service industry cannot afford even the lowest level of housing, and t is bought by landowners who further sap money out of the economy in that manner.

And no, it is near impossible to build a house for less than 60k in this inudstry.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-15, 08:23 PM
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

Are these kiosks going to magically keep the soft-serve ice cream machines from being out of order fucking CONSTANTLY?

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-15, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
The minimum wage in Australia currently is set to $16.87 per hour, however this is presuming an adult worker. I'm quite sure it's legal to pay somebody under the age of 18 less than this, which is why generally places like McDonalds prefer to hire teenagers. As I understand it it's only a margin of a few dollars per hour but over a week that can make a difference.

Essentially, this provides enough for most adults to live on on a weekly basis.

This would roughly equate to about $500 per week if it was converted to US currency. But I know the actual rate is much lower than that. So I wonder; if Mimimum wage in the US is not enough to live off, how the hell is it justified? And how will replacing those workers solve any problems without creating more?
Well, it used to be like that, I remember working a Taco Bell for my fast food job, the Fryer/Dishwasher was 16, the assembly guy was 17, the Cashier was 18, Shift Manager was 24, Store Manager was 30. Now, I would almost say that I defy you to find a teenager working in fast food.

$16.87 AUS is equal to $13.22 USA (+-), by a 32 hour maximum part time = $423.04. Right now the National rate is $7.25 USA (01/01/2014). A lot of the resentment for increasing the wage that high is can be found when you look at other jobs. Looking through my state's employment office we find jobs like this: Diesel Mechanic $15.00, Construction General Laborer $10.00, Bookkeeper $12.50, Customer Service Supervisor $15.00, Drug testing center facility manager $15.00, Brick Mason $15.00, Forklift Operator $15.27 Building Engineer 1 $10.00, Plumber 1 $15.00, School Bus Driver $15.00, HVAC Technician $12.00, Welder $17.00... And on and on. Of course, this will be more in States like California and less in states like Mississippi.

When we see the pay rate they want to move into you can start to hear the complaints coming, People in management positions and skilled workers who spent years and thousands of dollars in education and training, Construction workers who spend all day out in the sun carrying heavy shit. An Engineer make $10/hour, someone who has gone to college for 8 years, and they think their ability to say "would you like fries with that?" compares to the Engineer's ability to stress equations. And we're not going to get started about the military's complaints about this.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-15, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomlust View Post
Are these kiosks going to magically keep the soft-serve ice cream machines from being out of order fucking CONSTANTLY?
That implies that the ice cream machine was ever working to begin with.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-15, 09:53 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
I know, right? It's more like:

01010111 01101111 01110101 01101100 01100100 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01101100 01101001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01100111 01101111 00100000 01110011 01110101 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 01101001 01111010 01100101 00111111
Not over here it's not. Bastards.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-19-15, 12:58 AM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodingman87 View Post
When we see the pay rate they want to move into you can start to hear the complaints coming, People in management positions and skilled workers who spent years and thousands of dollars in education and training, Construction workers who spend all day out in the sun carrying heavy shit. An Engineer make $10/hour, someone who has gone to college for 8 years, and they think their ability to say "would you like fries with that?" compares to the Engineer's ability to stress equations. And we're not going to get started about the military's complaints about this.
Well of course. You make people pay to earn qualifications that are needed rather than have them freely available to learn, then they spend so long in their industry (if they're lucky enough to even get in) paying off the debt on their education to get the job.

We will always need engineers, able bodied construction workers and medical professionals. It seems pretty stupid that we charge people to learn these essential skills. I should probably also point out that most corporations employing these individuals could rather easily afford to pay their workers more. Even a few dollars per hour is going to make a lot of difference.

But, given that boardrooms full of half brained executives are running the show over there, it's easy to understand why the American economy is little more than the polished turd that it is. Land of Opportunity right?

Nonsense is our Salvation

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode