Islamic women and '72 Virgins'. - Page 10 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 130 (permalink) Old 08-18-14, 08:10 PM
Slave to Heresy!
Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
Regarding Women in the Bible, I'm afraid you're wrong there too. The Bible explicitly and literally places women subservient to men. Just because many denominations choose to gloss over or ignore that fact does not mean it isn't true. For every branch that says "Men and women are equal" then there are two that say "Women can't be priests/are property/are lesser to men".
Every religious text is full of irrelevant bullshit. The Bible, the Talmud, the Qu'ran whatever. They're all full of abuse, murder, noncing, sexcism and bollocks.

Those that still follow their religious texts are a problem. The rest (ie the majority of Christians) are not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 130 (permalink) Old 08-18-14, 08:23 PM
Feed

@DeathJester921 you're missing the point. Current existing religions have made staunch claims for the existence of their particular gods, which I and others refute. The god you describe is utterly immaterial to the discussion at hand. If it operates under noninterference, then it's existence as far as we are concerned is utterly irrelevant. We'd never know, we'd never interact, and we'd never live long enough for it to matter.

So what purpose is there to believing such a thing if it has been mathematically theorized that its existence is not only unnecessary, but also very unlikely?

There has to be some motivation for the belief in a god, but if this one does nothing then what purpose does it have?

I consider it more terrifying than the alternative for one simple reason. Without a god, humanity can pursue its own destiny. If the abrahamic god exists, we exist as little more than slaves. If the god you describe exists, then all our accomplishments will ultimately mean nothing because this god is just watching us flail about in the dark, simply to see it extinguished when he gets bored to start over.

Nonsense is our Salvation

Last edited by Serpion5; 08-18-14 at 08:29 PM.
post #93 of 130 (permalink) Old 08-18-14, 09:11 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

'Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then He is not omnipotent. Is He able, but not willing? Then He is malevolent. Is He both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is He neither able nor willing? Then why call Him God?'

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #94 of 130 (permalink) Old 08-19-14, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
'Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then He is not omnipotent. Is He able, but not willing? Then He is malevolent. Is He both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is He neither able nor willing? Then why call Him God?'
Maybe he doesn't want to interfere with our free will? If we suddenly received world peace, perfect health, no crime would all humans accept it?

Would we be willing to accept that a more powerful being did what we could not do?
post #95 of 130 (permalink) Old 08-19-14, 01:36 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Welcome to divine paradox, and hence the circle theory we come once more to the original question.

'Is He both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is He neither able nor willing? Then why call Him God?'

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #96 of 130 (permalink) Old 08-19-14, 01:56 AM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

Am I the only one who thinks that we've wondered away from the primary topic, bat-shit fuck balls who think they're going to get layed by 72 virgin slutty broads for blowing up large numbers of innocent people along with themselves, and wondered into an entirely pointless discussion?

The Website kept telling me that my profile was only 80% complete without creating a signature. Ain't no website going to tell me I was a lazy shit, no sir.
post #97 of 130 (permalink) Old 08-19-14, 05:37 AM
Craw-Daddy

I had an Iraqi friend who said he literally asked in his classroom whether they would be girls or little boys and he got a spanken.
post #98 of 130 (permalink) Old 08-19-14, 10:08 AM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Maybe he doesn't want to interfere with our free will? If we suddenly received world peace, perfect health, no crime would all humans accept it?

Would we be willing to accept that a more powerful being did what we could not do?
Um, yes? Since we currently have catastrophic sectarian war killing and displacing millions of people in the Middle East, endemic corruption and genocidal-levels of disease and poverty in Africa, and other, equally significant problems in India, South America and China, not to mention potential pressure building for war between Russia and America.

If someone omnipotent stepped in and said "Hey, how about I stop all those people from dying?" then you'd have to be inhuman (or just incredibly ignorant and selfish) to say "No".

And why is free will even sacrosanct? What makes it so special?

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #99 of 130 (permalink) Old 08-19-14, 11:05 AM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
If someone omnipotent stepped in and said "Hey, how about I stop all those people from dying?" then you'd have to be inhuman (or just incredibly ignorant and selfish) to say "No".
Especially given that a lot of the fighting is over this omnipotent individual in the first place.

You'd think if he wanted the fighting in his various names to stop, he'd have done something by now.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #100 of 130 (permalink) Old 08-19-14, 03:27 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode