The ethics of selling plasti-crack - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-14, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Ancient Relic

mcmuffin's Flag is: Ireland

Default The ethics of selling plasti-crack

So, today I was in my local Games-Workshop store since I had a few hours to kill an I saw something that disturbed me quite a bit. A little allegory before I tell you about it though. For the majority of you who wouldn't know, Dublin is facing a serious plague of homelessness and poverty among inner city communities, largely down to substance and alcohol abuse, and if you actually walk around the city you'd definitely see evidence of it, even in so called high-street areas.

So I was in Games Workshop and I saw a guy come in who I've seen begging on the streets for hostel money. Naturally I assumed he came in to try and get some change from people, so I didn't pay much heed until I saw him talking to one of the staff members there. Now I was told that this guy comes in from time to time, and that he is a recovering heroin addict and alcoholic, but that he liked coming into the shop and painting now and then, which is fair enough. What I didn't expect was the staff to try and sell him things, which is exactly what was going on. This guy in question clearly has some mental issues, and without sounding condescending or just being a dickhead, he doesn't seem to be capable of adult decision making( he dresses like a pirate). The guy had about 30 euro on him, in five euro notes and coins. He was pointed towards the Warhammer giant kit, by didn't have the money for it. So instead of directing this guy to one I the cheap little clam packs, he insisted he was going to go out and busk/ beg for the other 20 odd euro. The staff members did absolutely nothing to even discourage him. Bearing in mind this man struggles for a bed every night, is it really ethical to be selling him 50+ euro of plastic without a second thought? I'm well aware that a sale is a sale, but surely some form of conscience has to come into play given his situation. It's not even as if ignorance can be blamed on the part of the staff, since the entire store seemed to know who he is. What's your opinion on something like this? Should the staff have possibly tried to downsell given the situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin's Law
As an online discussion about 40k grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Squats approaches 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Keep in mind you are arguing "realism" about an army of genetically-altered supermen that are able to shrug off rocket propelled explosive bullets because someone is waving around a cup full of blood that reminds them of their long lost Super Daddy that was killed by there Extra Special-Super Uncle.
Space Wolves Tournament Results W:24 D:8 L:8
Jaws-ing my way to victory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-14, 04:51 PM

Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden

My first and only thought is. What a dick that staff was! I think it was highly unethical and moraly wrong.

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-14, 05:19 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

welcome to kapitalism, buddy. That staff member, if really knew about the situation of this deranged, acted a lot like Mr. Burns would have. I'd probably never buy anything there and tell them the reason why.
On the other hand...50 € better spent on plasticrack than ACTUAL crack.
Moreover it is to be noted that a former addict rarely goes out of that shit whitout developing some other form of addiction. In this, your pirate friend could be acting like he did when he was in alchohol/drugs.
Back on topic, the staff was really dickish. They could have just sold him a 12€ mini and call it a day if that was so important. But to let that shit happen.. i mean, begging for miniature money???? That's gross.

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-14, 05:53 PM
Thordis

Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferhet View Post
Back on topic, the staff was really dickish. They could have just sold him a 12€ mini and call it a day if that was so important. But to let that shit happen.. i mean, begging for miniature money???? That's gross.
couldnt put it better then this
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-14, 07:44 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Oh look, the ethical void left by the consumer culture. We all know it's there, but the last 800 years of telling us that money is more important than morality means we can't change without an actual global disaster that reduces us down to a few thousand survivors.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-14, 08:11 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferhet View Post
welcome to kapitalism, buddy.
Nailed it.

Welcome to capitalism indeed.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-14, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Ancient Relic

mcmuffin's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
Nailed it.

Welcome to capitalism indeed.
Surely there is a line to distinguish between making money and extortion/ exploitation? I'm I work in a Bar, and if someone who i knew was homeless, lived in a hostel and had no income came in and tried to order a 90 euro bottle of champagne I wouldn't be able to bring myself to give it to them. There must be some sort of code of ethics that should be adhered to, not to say that it is all the time. It's not even down to that though, how can you disregard someone's wellbeing just to try and sell them something which, in reality, has no real value beyond being a luxury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin's Law
As an online discussion about 40k grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Squats approaches 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Keep in mind you are arguing "realism" about an army of genetically-altered supermen that are able to shrug off rocket propelled explosive bullets because someone is waving around a cup full of blood that reminds them of their long lost Super Daddy that was killed by there Extra Special-Super Uncle.
Space Wolves Tournament Results W:24 D:8 L:8
Jaws-ing my way to victory
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-14, 06:54 AM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

Well I know that GW does have a sales quota that each employee has to hit and if they go over that mark they get bonuses added into their pay. Now with that said the staff were still being dickheads. I work at a tapas bar in the kitchen but the owner has added a bonus system for the bartenders and servers. I am always surprised what they will do just to make a sale that will get them more bonus money when on a busy friday or saturday night they bring home more money in tips than I take home all week. Pure greed.

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-14, 07:36 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Yeah It was a poor choice if the staff member genuinely knew the guys circumstances and that the circumstances are true, I have come across plenty of GW patrons who could pass as mad as hatters and homeless, had the guy wanted to buy the model of his own volition then fair enough, make the sale, but coercion would be unethical, but its not unusual to find a lack of ethics and a lack of empathy in a sales driven job, successful sales people generally have no soul.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-14, 08:00 AM
Feed

Reminds me of a story from the once manage of a gw near my home suburb.

He would get pissed if you were in the store for more than ten minutes without buying something. There was one instance of a customer who only ever bought paints, since he liked citadel paints rather than the cheaper variants for his model planes.

Eventually this manager tried to sell him a gw model. And which? Not a starter squad, nor even a starter set. "Would you like to buy a baneblade? That colour looks great on these."

Seriously. I know gw upper management has some pretty dickish policies they try to force on their store managers. I know that store managers can be put under a lot of pressure, and most of the time the ones I've met still manage to keep a good set of ethics about them.

But this cunt really was all about sales and nothing else. What's worse is he's moved up in the company now. Last I heard he was regional or something. Maybe even higher by now.

Yea, trying to sell to people who clearly can't afford it, nor should be trying to afford it, is just plain being a shitstain.

Nonsense is our Salvation

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode