Invention - holographic projector! Check it out. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-14, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

whittsy's Flag is: Australia

Default Invention - holographic projector! Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ydSXboRjQo

This is a youtube video from my uncles mate. He and my uncle have, in their (my uncles) shed, invented this device. I shit you not, I've seen it with my own eyes. The reason I'm displaying it here is to make it more publicised. It's in its early development (by early I mean a couple of years) and they are in talk with some guys from the US who have developed something similar (if not the same). Its amazing, its like the projector they have on StarWars where Emperor Palpatine and Vadar speak to eachother, but its REAL. Check out the youtube clip and youtube "voxiebox" to check it out, and share it around with your facebook friends. It's a multi-billion dollar idea and it needs to be seen by as many people as possible!

Thanks guys, Whittsy.

The true nature of Chaos is beyond any comprehension. No mere mortal can ever hope to understand these matters, and the wise do not puzzle too deeply over Chaos Gods, or try to fathom their wars, rivalries and bickerings.

Deathguard PLOG: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129438
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-14, 06:38 AM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

Honestly not all that impressive, they have been developing Hologrphic Screens for some time now. I've seen things like this in penny arcades at Hampton Beach, NH quite honestly.

The one big problem facing the designers and engineer's is the motion capture and sensitivity settings. Put shortly it has a hard time reading your fingers when you stick them in to Move, Click, Select, or Rotate anything on the screen. These things are honestly a few years away from even "early" stages as you say.

As an example this video was recently brought up on another forum I take part in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaaHcH9nQmI

Also check out this video of cool gadgets that are being worked upon.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkEVl87sBMI

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"

Last edited by emporershand89; 08-04-14 at 06:44 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-14, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

These inventions are all well and good, but hardly "inventions". More like upgrades. The thing with this voxiebox though is it can be used for other things other than gaming. Engineering of all types, buildings and vehicles, rockets, satellites and of course, gaming. Apparently there has been their prototype voxiebox sold for a substantial amount to the guy who invented the virtual reality stuff.

The true nature of Chaos is beyond any comprehension. No mere mortal can ever hope to understand these matters, and the wise do not puzzle too deeply over Chaos Gods, or try to fathom their wars, rivalries and bickerings.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-14, 11:34 AM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

For a couple of Blokes to come up with this in a shed is really amazing actually, regardless of what EH is trolling on about. While it may not be entirely new the fact remains that the technical skill required to accomplish this pretty staggering. and as you said @whittsy there are alot of other applications other than gaming. I immediately thought of how it might replace CAD software entirely. you ah.... may want to put aside some money to make an investment while you still can ;)

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-14, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

I thin the way its done is new, not the technology itself. Its not holograms but it's "voxies". Short terms, its a laser that is reflected back and forth. Its quite spectacular to witness, especially in a shed.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-14, 11:16 AM
Irn Bru 32!

Nacho libre's Flag is: Scotland

Aaahhhh the dreams of a holo deck from Star Trek are getting closer.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-14, 03:09 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

EH89 i think the first video is fake.

this however isnt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvtfD_rJ2hE

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-14, 01:03 AM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittsy View Post
voxiebox though is it can be used for other things other than gaming. Engineering of all types, buildings and vehicles, rockets, satellites and of course, gaming.
Did anyone stop to think that perhaps they already have been? I mean the U.S Military is rumored to already have put such technology inside their new Naval Warships (Zumwalt Class for starters). Clearly I think we are seeing the first "Commericalized" products of this type of technology. I think they have better stuff in secret.

BitsandKits: That....is....impressive. I will certainly be looking into that. I'm surprised I have not heard of it since I live roughly an hour from MIT, and I often attend their Media Galleries and Technology shows when I can.

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"

Last edited by emporershand89; 08-08-14 at 01:06 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode