Racist or just harmlessly accurate? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-14, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Racist or just harmlessly accurate?

Some of you may not be aware but football in the UK has a problem with racism, this generally comes in the form of racial slurs and chants from members of the oppositions fans and players, and there are efforts being made to stamp this out.
But a ladies England striker has found her self in hot water with her choice of fancy dress costume http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26446213

Anyway she decided to dress up as whoopi goldbergs nun character from sister act including authentic make up, now im wondering is this racist? Is making yourself up as a film character racist just because they are not of your race? Or is it paranoia and political correctness gone wrong?
What do you feel about it.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON

Last edited by bitsandkits; 03-05-14 at 12:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-14, 12:19 PM

AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH's Flag is: Denmark

I wouldn't consider that racist by any measure. She dressed up. For a costume party. She likely wanted her outfit to be recognisable.

People claiming she was trying to be racist are just oversensitive or don't have enough to complain about, so they just jumped on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
So you're a wanker?
Who cares? Anyone that says they don't wank is a lying twat. Wank hard, wank often.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-14, 12:28 PM

I think the problem is that 'blackface' has a history that si closely linked to racism, or at least massively negative characterisation fo black people. As a result, though in this case the intention was far from racist, it links to a racist history that can make people feel genuinely uncomfortable. The problem is that though you might get away with this is your private life, if you are in you are in the public eye (as this lass is) you contribute to the national approach to race. I am not saying she was racist, I am saying it was a bad idea as it helps tie football to some negative images.

It is a shame, because I am pretty sure she would hate the idea that she was a racist or made people uncomfortable (especially in football, where we have had MAAANY incredible black players representing our country proudly). However i still class it as A Bad Idea because of the tension around racism and football. It is like a young lad i chatted to that was chanting about Park Ji-Sung at Man U - he defended it because he said it was OK, they were on his team, but he could not see how 50k people chanting about 'chinkies' might not be a good thing as it made racism that little bit more acceptable.

Yeah political correctness can go fuckign crazy, but moaning about PC-ness can also cover racism, or more often just not thinking through how your actions can affect others. Sister act is a fun film, and Whoopi is a good actress, I wish the lass could have worn the costume and all been well, but I think in the end racism is still enough of a problem that it is a bad idea to do this if you are representing you country somehow.

Last thing, I had a friend at uni that it as British as me, but his grandparents are from Bangledesh. Sound guy, proud to be from the UK (brother in the forces I think) as well as proud of some of his asian heritage, and we were discussing the world cup and all the England flags. I asked how it affected him, and he thought for a minute, then he said 'the problem is that i am not included in that flag. Whenever people talk about me, I am British Asian, never ENglish I was born in England, so were my parents. I've never been to Scotland or Wales, why am I British, but you are English? Whenever people talk about me it is that I am British, so when I see all the ENgland flags, it makes me feel odd because I support the England team, but i kind of feel in some way, I don't get to be part of the group." I know legally he was wrong, he is English, but I do understand that in some ways he was made to feel outside of the group I get to be in. Also I know if he was italian-Scottish he'd get to be Scottish as well as British.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-14, 01:19 PM

effigy22's Flag is: United Kingdom

Seems harmless to me. I remember one hallowe'en where i dress as my friend and my friend dressed as me. We are of different skin colour and people thought it was highly amusing as long as we stood together, however it went a little wrong when we were apart. My friend - no hassle, he has painted himself white, whoop de doo. Me however, well i got a lot of crap for painting myself black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Don't, after rolling that final 1 too many, flip out, climb up on the table and jump up and down on your opponent's models screaming 'APOCALYPTIC BARRAGE, MOTHERFUCKER!!!'.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-14, 01:25 PM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by effigy22 View Post
Seems harmless to me. I remember one hallowe'en where i dress as my friend and my friend dressed as me. We are of different skin colour and people thought it was highly amusing as long as we stood together, however it went a little wrong when we were apart. My friend - no hassle, he has painted himself white, whoop de doo. Me however, well i got a lot of crap for painting myself black.
Did Scrubs teach you nothing?

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-14, 01:41 PM

effigy22's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosRedCorsairLord View Post
Did Scrubs teach you nothing?
Totally forgot about that episode, a rewatch is in order!

TBH - i have had worse reactions from a costume, most memorable would be my Jimmy Saville costume. When a guy wants to start a fight with you the only reaction you can really give is "Now then now then now then..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Don't, after rolling that final 1 too many, flip out, climb up on the table and jump up and down on your opponent's models screaming 'APOCALYPTIC BARRAGE, MOTHERFUCKER!!!'.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-14, 02:20 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by effigy22 View Post
This is a perfect example of the sheer hypocrisy that "rascism" is capable of.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-14, 04:31 PM

If that's the case then tropic thunder is racist because Robert downy Jr played a black guy.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-14, 04:55 PM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Blackface is a very sensitive issue over here, it wasn't that long ago we had the black and white minstrel show and general racist comments in comedy shows. I don't think she had any intention of being racist but some people will find it racist and some people will find it racist for other people even if those other people don't find it racist, in the end it's better off not going near the idea in the first place as it just opens a can of worms when people do. What's worse is she's part of the kick racism out of sport campaign, so it just adds further wood to the fire.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-14, 08:43 PM

Silens's Flag is: Wales

I think this is ridiculous. How is that racism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
"Look they got a-OH MY GOD I'M ON FIRE FOR THE LOVE OF NAKED SANTA IT HURTS!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode