Too Many Injuries at 2014 Sochi Olympics?? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-14, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!
Default Too Many Injuries at 2014 Sochi Olympics??

As many of you have been doing in the last week or so I have been following the Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia. The Olympics is one of the few times humanity puts aside a majority of it's issues and comes together in freindly competition of sports and physical feats. Thus the idea of having a physical, but safe, enviroment for these athletes and competitors is essential when any host nations operates the games.

That being said there seems to have been a lot of injuries during these current games. I remember watching the 2010 Vancouver games, and the 2012 Lodon games, that injuries were low and were the exception and not the norm during those events. Assuredly some people would get hurt, but not in the manner we have seen in Sochi. To give you a brief explanation I will mention a few events that have transpired in recent days......

To start the first sign of problems was at the opening ceremony, when after everything was said and done a repair worker attempting to fix the malfunction Olympic Ring(which was part of the Ceremonial Show) was knocked off and fell almost 125ft; sustaining a major consussion, broken back and broken right arm.

Following that Heidi Kloser, the American Mogul champion, was severely injured after a major wipe out on the Qualifying run. If memory serves me right many of the Olympians had complained the track was sub-par, but went ahead with the competition. (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ol...icle-1.1605575) Several other Olympian Mogul skiers sustained minor injuries when they too had wipe outs on the course during both practice and competition(Male and Female)

Then we heard of the demise of Team Sweden's Hockey players, notable Henrik Zetterberg( http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympi...2222707.html); although I was unable to find out what happened to the other 2 players injuried(one during practice and another during their first game).

Then the all-American Shuan White, the Hot Tomato of Snowboarding, pulled out of Slopstyle because of an injury to the wrist he sustained during practice. Though this was minut, it really put pressure on the man for the Half-Pipe competition which sadly Russia's "I-POD" shut him out for.

Then the back to back incidents of Olympics Ski jumpers Kamil Stoch of Poland and Mikhail Maksimochkin of Russia who epically crashed and sustained serious injuries during practice. (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/winter-o...raining-falls/)

Then the epic crash that made news worldwide, a Ice Worker smoothing part of the Bobsleigh track was moved down by a test run that he was apprarently not informed of. The man suffered 2 Broken legs, and is still in critical condition at a local hospital. (http://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/...-olympics.html)

Finally the most recent injury, and a personal loss for me and all figure skating fans, was the back injury sustained by Evgeni Plushenko, a personal Russian, favorite of figure skating, injured his back in practice the other day(Check Google for dozens of article on the matter).

Additionally I would point out all the minor injuries sustained on crappy moguls, badly designed Half-Pipes, and crappy "non-zambonied" ice for the figure skater(who always seems to fall down and wipe out this time round). Again I know it is early, but am I the only one noticing all these unusual, and alarming, injuries as they pile up?

Comments, Thoughts?

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"

Last edited by emporershand89; 02-15-14 at 05:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-14, 05:13 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

http://m.bjsm.bmj.com/content/47/17/e4.1.abstract

The media is looking for ratings and they suckered you in. Injuries happen, especially during large events like this. Don't be a media sucker.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-14, 07:17 AM

Loki1416's Flag is: USA

Far as the hockey injuries that you are talking about, they were exisiting conditions when Zetterberg and Datsyuk went to sochi. In fact, they both missed a ton of games for the Redwings but STILL went to the olympics.
I'm a huge supporter that NHL'ers should NOT be allowed in the olympics.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-14, 02:31 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
That being said there seems to have been a lot of injuries during these current games. I remember watching the 2010 Vancouver games, and the 2012 Lodon games, that injuries were low and were the exception and not the norm during those events.
Yeah? You seem to have forgotten about this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olym...ge/8513595.stm
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-14, 08:32 PM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Oh we are wanting to focus on a specific year?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0907104039.htm

At least 1 in 10 athletes injured during 2010 Winter Olympics, study finds

Date:
September 8, 2010
Source:
BMJ-British Medical Journal
Summary:
At least one in 10 athletes sustained an injury and a further one in 14 fell ill during the 2010 Winter Olympics, held in Canada, new research reveals.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-14, 03:14 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Yes but it wasn't the Russians running those games you see.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-14, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki1416 View Post
Far as the hockey injuries that you are talking about, they were exisiting conditions when Zetterberg and Datsyuk went to sochi. In fact, they both missed a ton of games for the Redwings but STILL went to the olympics.
I'm a huge supporter that NHL'ers should NOT be allowed in the olympics.
Why? they get paid a few million to play, they only have to play for five years before they can retire and never do anything again.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-14, 03:16 AM

@Reaper45
I'm not getting what your point is. Their pay and retirement options are not the point.
But the fact that they leave the job they ARE being paid to do, to go play in the olympics, and get injured, and then whatever team they play for has to scramble to find a replacement while they sit out, is.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-14, 05:10 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Everybody knows it's not a sport if nobody gets hurt! That's why golf is a game, and (real--that is, American) football is a sport.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-14, 02:47 PM

@The Son of Horus :
I once hit a tree and had the golf ball bounce back and hit me. Wouldn't that make golf a sport? I'd also guess that more people die while playing golf than in any other sport. All those old people out there, I'm sure some heart attacks have happened.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode