[NSFW] Thoughts on this highly controversial Warhammer 40,000 diorama. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-03-14, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Blackwire's Flag is: England

Default [NSFW] Thoughts on this highly controversial Warhammer 40,000 diorama.

First off, I hope this isn't breaking forum rules regarding adult content. This one includes attempted rape and nudity. It's disturbing. But amongst the disgust this piece elicits it also is very, very clever. For this reason I've put it in spoilers, and I hope it doesn't show on the page without clicking the link first. It doesn't in preview.

Here's the truth, this is the first thing I've felt compelled to write and talk about on the forums in a long while. It's an odd sort of art. I've already put forward my mixed thoughts on the matter. Here they are:

Quote:
Well this is quite disturbing, a 40k diorama depicting attempted rape. Really brings that out a whole other level of wrongness in the 'grim darkness of the far future'. Whilst this piece is definitely not safe for work, and evokes some substantial disgust, it oddly hits a note. The expressions on each individual in this immoral piece really tell you what they're thinking, and the guardsman who looks like he's on the verge of turning against his squad in pure objection really leaves a lingering impression. It feels like something from 'Platoon', but for 40k. It's a disturbingly honest image of war and xenophobia, not some aggrandised propaganda poster or stylised set-piece. Oddly, I suppose that makes it art.
Quote:
I hope that the painter did this more as a mature statement rather than some weird hobby fetish. I think the piece goes so far to show it's a statement. If that's the case it goes to show how one picture can speak volumes with no words.

Think of this same piece if it was a scene you’d seen in a movie – say something like ‘Platoon’. We wouldn't talk about how messed up the director is. We’d rather take it as a mature statement of what’s endemically wrong with war and xenophobia. The content would take the film to new depths, and I can’t help but feel that’s what this diorama has the potential of – taking something like 40k, and adding more depth to its storytelling capability. In which case, it’d be like the many utterly perverted things that happen in Game of Thrones. It’s not to say that they’re right, it’s to say that the artist feels we deserve a story that challenges us, and allows us to see why certain things should never happen, without having to undergo them personally.

We watch films and read books where this sort of detail is visited upon. Maybe I’m seeing it as something more than it is, but I feel this piece has had a similar effect on me that a challenging story would. That’s why I’m compelled to review it.
There's my two cents. It'd be interesting to hear what you all make of it.

For the Admins and Moderators, if this doesn't fit in with guidelines, could you please make it that it does? I've done my best to do so.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-03-14, 12:36 PM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

It has no place in the hobby. Disgusting to think of the time and effort put into it.

Disgusting.

Strange, but not a Stranger.
post #3 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-03-14, 12:41 PM
Thordis

Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands

to be honest untill I noticed that one guy was holding her torso armour, I thought the other guy undoing his zipper was going to piss on her.

In both cases I would wonder about the psychological and mental health of the maker. rape and abuse is not something to display like that, especialy not in this hobby. wich fair is fair. attracts quite some people from an underaged public
post #4 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-03-14, 01:35 PM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Going to move this thread to off topic as this is really not the place to discuss this type of work.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #5 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-03-14, 02:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Gonna be perfectly honest, at first I saw nothing wrong with that piece. That is until I got to the close up shot of the guy undoing his pants, at which point my first thought was: 'why did this guy decide to spend all this time and effort on that?'

The paint jobs are spectacular, I just don't get why he/she decided to bother with the scene at all beyond being controversial.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #6 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-03-14, 02:21 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
The paint jobs are spectacular, I just don't get why he/she decided to bother with the scene at all beyond being controversial.
This.

This all over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #7 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-03-14, 02:36 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
I just don't get why he/she decided to bother with the scene at all beyond being controversial.
It's art. How many intentionally controversial art pieces/movies/songs can you think of, even JUST those that deal with rape?

I'm curious about the reasons behind it, but the level of skill involved in sculpting and painting this piece is mind blowing.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #8 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-03-14, 02:59 PM

Why is it disgusting? In the grim dark future there is only war and everything that comes with it, including rape,abuse and gore.

Why is it okay for dioramas to display mass murder,slaughter,torture but not rape and abuse? I understand this are not part's of the actual hobby, people play games to escape real world problems. But one can not say this is disgusting and has no place in 40k. Its the same as saying its not okay to paint it on a canvas.

Rape and abuse are all real parts of war. The artist presented a less shown part of it and is getting scorned for this. Is it where the truth hurts? Do you think it does not happen in real world? Does not happen in afghan and syria right now? Did not happen in Vietnam? Iraq? WW2? WW1 ?
Rape,abuse,murder,kidnapping,paedophilia would all be a common place in underhives and war ridden worlds all across Imperium.
You are looking at 40k with rose tinted glasses of a world with great heroes, noble deeds and forgetting how dark and sad the that world is.
post #9 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-03-14, 03:06 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

we all know even a half naked eldar woman will be handing these guys there shrunken nut sacks back about ten seconds after that diorama is set.Sadly it really depicts one of the very realities and horrors of war fare,this is exactly the shit that is going on in warzones all over our planet right now, does it have any place in the hobby? of course not, but its a great reminder that we play "war" games for fun.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #10 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-03-14, 03:21 PM

Ryu_Niimura's Flag is: Netherlands

Quote:
I agree with you as well, it's stunningly beautifull and very telling but it's not something I would spend my time on. Then again, I would spend my time building mass graves as terrain for my table but atleast those have some purpose

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode