fantasy vs 40k - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-14, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

CommissarAidan's Flag is: Australia

Default fantasy vs 40k

i had a thought with fantasy models my opinion is they look more detailed and much much better than the 40k kits.

also fantasy has a bit better rules

and in a tournament when your playing 40k with your SM and you come up against blood angels what would be the story line.

these are all of my opinions about why i think fantasy is better than 40k do you guys disagree with me or agree with me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-14, 07:47 AM

I prefer 40k. Cos I prefer lasers and giant death machines to crossbows and sticks.
FW also prefers marines - look at the heresy range for some fantastic models.
I've never played fantasy - it doesn't really appeal to me, I like the setting of 40k first and foremost. Although I did hear a theory a while back that fantasy is actually on a planet in the maelstrom in 40k. Although I'm fairly confident that was crap, I liked the idea.
Imperial Forces do not always get on - if they have different objectives within a warzone, then its possible they could fight. For example, The Dark Angels vs The Black Templars in the ophidian gulf or the Flesh Tearers fighting the Sisters of battle. In the Blood Angels books, they even just had a chapter civil war so even Blood Angels vs Blood Angels is possible.
If you read up on 40k, you'll find a few more examples I'm sure.

I'm also fairly sure 40k is more popular than fantasy in general. Fantasy games always look like 'Ima move my block of men at your block of men'

Edit:And your forum name is CommissarAiden - do they even have commissars in fantasy?

Last edited by Gret79; 01-14-14 at 07:49 AM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-14, 08:04 AM
Feed

WHF more popular than 40k?

It depends on your region I guess. But in general, no it's not. I myself prefer 40k because of the theme and modelling opportunities.

The game system while not necessarily superior to WHF, is far more easy to play and flows much quicker.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-14, 08:32 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Let's see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommissarAidan View Post
i had a thought with fantasy models my opinion is they look more detailed and much much better than the 40k kits.
I dont necessarily agree. The newer WHFB models er really cool, but then again so are the newer 40K models. I guess it depends on the army - If we're talking Vampire counts I agree - If we talk Bretonnia, then I don't. I't s very subjective.

Quote:
and in a tournament when your playing 40k with your SM and you come up against blood angels what would be the story line.
Either of the two SM chapters believe the other one is being corrupted by Chaos and share the same zealotry against each other. Neither has to be Chaos driven, but lack of communication and the conviction they share could be enough to set them off against each other.

Just an example. In all honesty, you can always find a way for two armies to clash - It's just up the imagination of the players.

Quote:
these are all of my opinions about why i think fantasy is better than 40k do you guys disagree with me or agree with me
I disagree. I think both systems have their strengths and their flaws. It's all up to personal taste and how you prefer your wargaming. For example, I very much dislike the notion that every squad in WHFB has to be put in a little square tray and be moved around, where in 40K I can place the models as I see fit. But that's my personal opinion.

After all, that's what these games comes down to; personal taste and opinion.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-14, 11:48 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

The start up costs in fantasy are way higher if you want to build up to the proscribed 3000pts it's ridiculous. Just look at the witch elves new box. €40 for a box of ten, but an optimum unit is 30, with a cauldron of blood thrown in(another €40). That's €160 for just one unit. I know other armies are cheaper, but the principle stands. I'm not saying 40k is cheap, far from it, but if you buy a box of marines or guardsmen you have a usable standalone unit.

To be honest, after 20 odd years of blowing all my spare cash on GW crack, I finally woke up and turned to other systems that, in some cases, let you get a workable, totally viable force on the table for less than €100, and in one case a total of €23. But you're young and enthusiastic. I won't pollute your thread with my old man bitterness.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-14, 12:08 PM
Feed

So long as you pace yourself and treat either WHF or 40k as the long term hobby they're both meant to be, expense isn't an issue.

If you're a moron who rushes in and buys a grand worth on your first go... well you earned that hunger and remorse didn't you?

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-14, 12:24 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
So long as you pace yourself and treat either WHF or 40k as the long term hobby they're both meant to be, expense isn't an issue.

If you're a moron who rushes in and buys a grand worth on your first go... well you earned that hunger and remorse didn't you?
lets face it We've all done that at least once. go buy the model we really want but can't quite afford.

I personally like bot game systems although my preference is clearly in 40K Each system provides good solid gameplay. I Have a lizard Man army (i might get some pics of it up when i actually decide to work on it.) but iv only had 2 games within the last 3 months and none for 10+ years prior to that.

Its also very region dependent as to where you live that determines who plays what. My FLGS is mainly 40K but in the last 3 months at least 4 players have moved into Fantasy ecause it provides more depth to them.

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-14, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post

When the warp spider exarch got released in 2nd, I walked 5 miles in snow to get to the shop to buy one. Halfway back I couldn't feel my feet and didn't have any money to use public transport

Playing a game later that day, I teleported 36" and vortex grenaded my opponants new librarian.
Worth it.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-14, 05:00 PM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

I personally prefer fantasy, but I think that's more because it is possible (albeit difficult) to win as Wood Elves against the more "competitive" armies, while as Blood Angels I get stomped almost instantly by hellturkies, taudar, and any small point value games. Against everyone else (barring other extreme cheeses) I can win, but it's difficult. Same as with woodies. As for the start up costs, I got my whole 2.5-3k WE army for $200-250 over a few months (thank you ebay!) while it's $66 for 10 assault marines, of which I have 30 with packs and 15-20 without. Although many of them are old models and were cheaper, fantasy is not inherently more expensive - spamming orc boys vs spamming, well, orc boys... they come out to about the same.

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-14, 11:20 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

One is no better than the other. The game play is different in each game. The newer models for most armies are pretty good, with a few exceptions.

Tournament play is a red herring for the lore as these are not meant to be narrative games. But with 10,000 years of history for most chapters its pretty easy to come up with reasons why one set of marines is set on beating the living daylight out of another. Anything considered 'evil' (Chaos, Necron and DE) need no justification to fight each other. Tau could be a splinter of the main stream philosophy (such as farsight), I mean it can't all be 'for the greater good' in just a large society. Eldar and Tyranid are probably the least likely to have internecine conflict.

WHF as has been said does have a far larger startup cost. This tends to lead to a more mature community and may put some younger players off. 40k is a more streamlined game with robots and tanks which obviously is going to attract more younger players.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode