Google buys Boston Dynamics - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-13, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Default Google buys Boston Dynamics

Not sure if any of you know about Boston Dynamics and the pretty awesome "Big Dog" project (basically a all terrain "mule" to help soliders and SF carry shitloads of gear into terrain not accessible by normal vehicles), pretty awesome "the future is now" kind of stuff. Anyway Google just bought them: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25397623 and it turns out this is the 8th Robotics company they have acquired recently and have put the guy who headed up the Android development in charge. Not sure what they are up too but they seem to be making Robotics a big priority. Here's hoping that with Google's resources stuff like Big Dog gets fast tracked but Skynet doesn't happen because you know, I still have my Minotaurs to finish off after all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-13, 08:45 PM

DeathJester921's Flag is: USA

Well that explains the images i've seen of Google being related to Skynet...... Start prepping now ladies and gents

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-13, 08:59 PM
Slave to Heresy!
Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

I posted about these over here with videos. This is interesting news indeed
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-13, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

I love how that thing sounds like a two stroke chainsaw and then you see somebody try and kick it over and it just takes it. Now imagine one of them running at you full tit and hitting you, you would be pulped. Time to start welcoming our new robotic overlords I think.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-13, 10:00 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
Here's hoping that with Google's resources stuff like Big Dog gets fast tracked but Skynet doesn't happen because you know, I still have my Minotaurs to finish off after all.
I've seen how this movie ends.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-13, 10:22 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

I always think the only way that the human race will abolish poverty is when robots are able to a lot of the menial work humans don't really want to do. Hopefully google will drive that forward and free us from some of the drudgery of modern life.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-13, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

I don't know, it all depends on how the companies who produce this technology go about licensing it. Will they do what Telsa attempted to do and make it free or will they do as they over whelmingly currently do and charge for it?

One very real possibility is that they could leave you indebted to the company from the moment you are born and you have no choice in the matter kind of the like Jopall Indentured Squadrons or the idea of "asset realisation" in Fallen Dragon by Peter F Hamilton (basically companies put up the funds to colonise planets and technically everything on that planet is then owned by the company, as happens with all companies after awhile they merge, collapse, go into debt, get liquitaded, sold, bought etc The new companies then make a habit of going and "realising" assets on the newing aquired planets without any thought to the colonists on those planets as technically it's their property. It's piracy in all but name really).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-13, 12:01 PM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

I was hoping for a more utopian society like 'the culture' from Ian Banks novels. Robots (or drones as they are called) doing all the work unless you wanted to do something.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-13, 10:42 PM

Einherjar667's Flag is: USA

BD is only about 40 minutes down the road from me. I'll give you guys a heads up if I see any marching columns of well armed robot dogs trample by.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-13, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humakt View Post
I always think the only way that the human race will abolish poverty is when robots are able to a lot of the menial work humans don't really want to do. Hopefully google will drive that forward and free us from some of the drudgery of modern life.
You mean most of the things I make my living from?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode