Quotes for our time. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 171 (permalink) Old 07-06-08, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Pandawithissues...'s Flag is: England

Default Quotes for our time.

This is an idea i've had for a while. People, just put up your favourite quotes, particularly if they're socially relevent.

If the thread gets good i'll sticky it.

Make sure to attribute the quotes as best you can.

I'll get it started with a few good ones I like personally at the moment:

'I do not know with what weapons WW3 will be fought, but I know world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones' - Albert Einstein

'Quantity has a quality all its own' - Stalin

'100% of the shots you don't take don't go in' - Wayne Gretzky

'Would you like me to give you a formula for... success? It's quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure. You're thinking of failure as the enemy of success. But it isn't at all... you can be discouraged by failure -- or you can learn from it. So go ahead and make mistakes. Make all you can. Because, remember that's where you'll find success. On the far side' - Founder of IBM Thomas Watson

'Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results' - George Patton

'Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for' - Will Rogers

'Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right' - Henry Ford

'You see things; and you say 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?'' - George Bernard Shaw

'The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man' Also GB Shaw

'Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up' Jesse Jackson

'A man's feet must be planted in his country, but his eyes should survey the world' - George Santayana(SP?)

'Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it.' Another Shaw one

'Patriotism is easy to understand in America; it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country.' - Calvin Coolidge

Death magnetic: 5 slabs of vinyl: Pure spinning ecstasy.

Last edited by Pandawithissues...; 07-06-08 at 07:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 171 (permalink) Old 07-06-08, 06:51 PM

loyalist42's Flag is: USA

Wow...definitely gonna be coming back to this thread on a regular basis

'An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.'
-Ghandi

'Those who would trade liberty for security deserve neither.'
-Attributed to Ben Franklin; actual source unknown

'Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.'
-Napoleon Bonaparte

'Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?' (who shall guard the guards?)
-Roman poet Juneval

'That is the sort of errant pedantry up with which I will not put.'
-Winston Churchill

'Ahh, I am a great and sublime fool...but then, I am God's fool, and all His creations must be viewed with respect.'
-Mark Twain

'These are the times that try mens' souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.'
-Thomas Paine, The Crisis

More to come later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navar89
if I hang out with you any more I just might pick up 40K...You, sir, are dangerous.

Holy shit, I've a plog again!
post #3 of 171 (permalink) Old 07-07-08, 05:20 AM

the cabbage's Flag is: Scotland

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
-- Sir Winston Churchill
post #4 of 171 (permalink) Old 07-07-08, 05:30 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Oh oh I love these things:

"The past is no further away than the last breath you took" - Robin Hobb

“A horse cannot wear two saddles” - Robin Hobb again

“The solidarity of people can bring down any system.” - From the film "In Hell"

The Five P‘s: “Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Production” - Neil Marshall

“Mankind united with infinitely greater purpose in pursuit of war than he ever did in pursuit of peace.” - From the film "Equilibruim"

“Knowledge and Power, the two great faculties of human spirit" - Eugene Ionesco

“One persons pain is nothing compared to the suffering of all” - From the film "Hero"

“It is easier to extinguish the Light within one’s self than to scatter the Darkness around” From the film "Night Watch"

And finally a slightly humerous one:

“If anybody ever tells you that guns aren’t fun... they’re lying.” by actress Sienna Guillory
post #5 of 171 (permalink) Old 07-07-08, 09:48 AM

the cabbage's Flag is: Scotland

The 7 P's

"Prior preparation and planning prevents piss poor performance!"

"Poor planning on you part does not constitute an emergency on mine"

Any British Army Instructor

"Stores are for storing otherwise they'd be called issues".

Any British Army clothing storeman.
post #6 of 171 (permalink) Old 07-07-08, 10:05 AM

Inquisitor Aurelius's Flag is: Canada

Hey, someone else who's seen Equilibrium! I thought I was the only one. Anyway, here are a few:

"There are no saints, only sinners. From such crooked wood as that which man is made, nothing straight can be fashioned."
-Emmanuel Kant

"Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence."
-Erich Fromm

"Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else."
-Siddhartha Gautama (better known as the Buddha)

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned."
-also Siddhartha Gautama

"Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace."
-more SG

"In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true."
-yet more SG

"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared."
-still more SG

There are probably thousands more (translated) quotations from the Buddha that I could dig up, and all just as relevant, but I reckon I'll stop here. Still, I encourage any- and everyone to add their own, Buddha-related or not. A good thread, this.

Four Colditz salads and a Hermann Goering.
post #7 of 171 (permalink) Old 07-07-08, 06:56 PM
Darth Druchii

Druchii in Space's Flag is: Wales

Aye I like this, and first of for me, this one has to be done.

"We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the Old." - Winston Churchill

"The British nation is unique in this respect. They are the only people who like to be told how bad things are, who like to be told the worst." - another WC

"Being in Washington is more fictional than being in Hollywood." - George Lucas

"Christianity will go.. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first — rock and roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right, but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me." - John Lennon

"I suppose if I had said television was more popular than Jesus, I would have gotten away with it. I'm sorry I opened my mouth. I'm not anti-God, anti-Christ, or anti-religion. I wasn't knocking it or putting it down. I was just saying it as a fact and it's true more for England than here. I'm not saying that we're better or greater, or comparing us with Jesus Christ as a person or God as a thing or whatever it is. I just said what I said and it was wrong. Or it was taken wrong. And now it's all this." - his apology for the above statement

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. ... I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - another JL quote

"When I first heard Elvis' voice, I just knew that I wasn't going to work for anybody, and nobody was going to be my boss. He is the deity supreme of rock and roll religion as it exists in today's form. Hearing him for the first time was like busting out of jail. I thank God for Elvis Presley." - Bob Dylan

"Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

"I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing — that it was all started by a mouse" - Walt again

Come and join us by the fire, to chat about the games that matter to you at the Roleplay Games Forum
---------------
"I feel I was denied. Critical, need to Know information!"
post #8 of 171 (permalink) Old 07-07-08, 07:32 PM

kungfoomasta's Flag is: USA

Gods a comedian playing to an audiance thats to afraid to laugh. - i dont know who if you do say so plz
Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve.-Dr. Napoleon Hill

Never doubt the incompetence of your commisar.
post #9 of 171 (permalink) Old 07-08-08, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Pandawithissues...'s Flag is: England

There's already enough goood ones here to be stickied.

Death magnetic: 5 slabs of vinyl: Pure spinning ecstasy.
post #10 of 171 (permalink) Old 07-08-08, 06:37 AM
frost_reaver's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfoomasta View Post
Gods a comedian playing to an audiance thats to afraid to laugh. - i dont know who if you do say so plz
I'm fairly certain it's Voltaire.

A resource site for wargaming and more. Updated: Weekly

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode