Backpacking across the States. - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-13, 09:47 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Because real life is just like the movies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diFDBNNmnnU

The US is WAY too big to hike. You'll have to drive some of it.

If you do happen to hike a trail, you do need a gun. That's not me being a jackass like the above video... the Appalachian Trail is supposed to be spectacular but bears who're acclimated to humans, and Appalachian inbred methheads are both fairly common.

If you enjoy the mega death shits, potentially getting kidnapped by the drug cartels, or getting kidnapped by overzealous rednecks who don't understand that just because you're obviously foreign does not mean that you're trying to sneak into the country, I highly recommend Mexico. If you want the good parts of Mexico without the death shits, death Mexicans, and drunk border patrol vigilantes, I recommend visiting Texas. All the Mexicans who're worth a damn are in Texas these days anyway. Besides, you can't really come to the US and not visit Texas. I recommend Dallas, although Austin is big on tourism. Avoid Houston. While you're in the neighborhood, I'd swing back east and visit New Orleans. It really is the best place in the US.

If you were ever curious what hell was like, I'd make a stop in New York City. Ultra-high population density combined with ultra-high douchebag population density and a laughably high cost of living makes it miserable. Although it's about the only place you can still go to an Italian restaurant and the hostess is known simply as "mama" and she keeps a shotgun behind the counter. And there's something to be said for seeing the mob, I think.

I hate to say it, but as you head west from there...there's nothing good to see until Chicago unless you head south. If you're in the area in August, I'd stop by Indianapolis for GenCon, which is the largest gaming convention in the US (and if I had to guess, probably the world). Otherwise... I'd stop by Chicago, then either go to the west coast or head south. Between basically Chicago and California (north of the Mason-Dixon line, at any rate) there's basically nothing of interest, unless you've never seen farms before.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-13, 12:26 PM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
I'd also like to make a distinction about culture. I think it's misleading to say that, "the culture is in the sticks." You will find certain aspects of American culture emphasized in the mute rural areas, often the folksy'er parts. Our major cities are under the same pressures of homogenization and globalization that the rest of the developed world are under, so that should not come as a surprise. But we still have our regional dialects, customs, and foods. Our regions don't have quite the same . . . "clarity of identity" that the regions of the UK do.

I've lived in both L.A. and Philadelphia and they are drastically different in terms of food, culture, style, climate, pace of life, and even vegetation. I like both for different reasons.

You won't do much hiking IN the cities, but if you want to experience the United states and it's people you would do yourself a disservice by avoiding them. It's a big place, and there is a lot to see.
Fair points. I think it's more a personal choice with me and my general dislike of cities. Think I am turning into an old git in my old age who likes the country life lol
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-13, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Son of Horus View Post
Because real life is just like the movies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diFDBNNmnnU

The US is WAY too big to hike. You'll have to drive some of it.
LOL what the hell are you talking about? Don't think anyone has suggested to hike across America.

Also, you don't need a gun for bears on hiking trails, don't be a dumbass...
Plenty of Canadians (and do Americans) manage on hiking trails without them, and actually you have much more chance statistically of being attacked by a moose. Moose are more dangerous than bears be they grizzly or black bears.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-13, 12:37 PM

Good source for general overviews of backpacking, budgetting and country summaries:

http://www.travelindependent.info/america-north.htm#usa
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-13, 01:10 PM
The Hebrew Hammer

There aren't moose in the Appalachians. There are, however, black bears people have been feeding in spite of the signs that say not to (which makes them dangerous) and hillbillies hopped up on meth. Both will have their way with you. The bear might even remember your name afterwards. You're more than welcome to go wander around backwoods West Virginia/Southwest Pennslyvania/Northeast Kentucky without a gun, but don't blame me if you get raped by meth heads or a bear thinks you've got (or are) munchies for him.

Don't kid yourself about bears. Or moose, actually, but again, no moose in Appalachia. There's a reason that you can be charged with trespassing on federal land if you DON'T have a fairly high-caliber gun on you in the Pacific Northwest.

And there was totally discussion about hiking across the country early in the thread. I just wanted an excuse to post a joke about hitchhiking since it was applicable here, even though the issue had been discussed already... *grumbles something about ruining my fun...*

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-13, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straken's_Fist View Post
LOL what the hell are you talking about? Don't think anyone has suggested to hike across America.

Also, you don't need a gun for bears on hiking trails, don't be a dumbass...
Plenty of Canadians (and do Americans) manage on hiking trails without them, and actually you have much more chance statistically of being attacked by a moose. Moose are more dangerous than bears be they grizzly or black bears.
Oh give us more wisdom oh great and all knowing armchair woodsmen.

Not having a means to defend yourself in the woods or while hiking is just asking for trouble. Bears aren't what I am worried about it's cougars that are the problem.
I know a guy from anchorage, I asked him if it was true that in alaska you could be charged for not having a .44 with you in the wilderness.

He started you probably wouldn't be charged but there are easier ways to committe suicide.

and clearly you didn't read the thread.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-13, 04:19 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Son of Horus View Post
If you were ever curious what hell was like, I'd make a stop in New York City. Ultra-high population density combined with ultra-high douchebag population density and a laughably high cost of living makes it miserable. Although it's about the only place you can still go to an Italian restaurant and the hostess is known simply as "mama" and she keeps a shotgun behind the counter. And there's something to be said for seeing the mob, I think.
Have you even been to NYC Horus or are you just going off what movies and pop culture say about it?

NYC is a great place for Tourists. It is an expensive place to go, but you could spend a month there and not see everything.

That being said, if you're going to travel across the US I would rent a car. I work in the car rental industry and depending on when you go you can get a car for $500 a month tax included.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-13, 04:50 PM
The Hebrew Hammer

Yes, I've been to NYC many times. It's sort of a fact of being a part of the Jewish community in the united states that you end up there sometimes...and I have yet to come up with anything positive to say about the place except that the mob's italian restaurants are amazing.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-13, 06:14 PM

Shas'Ui's Flag is: USA

Do something like this, just at all the GW stores you come across

01000110011011110111001000100000011101000110100001 10010100100000011001110111001001100101011000010111 01000110010101110010001000000110011101101111011011 110110010000100001

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode