insomnia is fun! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

The_Werewolf_Arngeirr's Flag is: Canada

Default insomnia is fun!

I generally have issues of insomnia due to not being able to clear my head. especially when I have not played my guitars in a few days. but a thought came up...

In all of our known evolution, from what we can figure out through our "intelligence" has any other creatures in the wild ever evolved by using an object then evolving themselves not to need it? what if our intelligence is just a step to evolve into something we need to survive. of coarse, only the strongest survive, and the weak masses generally fall at some point. funnily enough this thought process came from a song. Fourty Six & 2 by Tool. after looking up the meaning, though not delving deeper at the time, i just had a thought on evolution, about how our next logical mental evolution would be the linking of our selves into a greater being. all with free will but at the same time, part of a single mass "net" think about it. what if one day, we figure out how to implant computers into our brains, to link us directly to the internet. this may be coming sooner then you think too from what Ive seen. eventually we will either depend on it entirely, or our minds might take the computer and adapt it into a single whole from birth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 12:51 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Im not really sure what your aiming at but evolution has allowed l9ads of animal's to evolve past needing something, gills and flippers for a start, birds are just dinosaurs that have evolved not to need the limbs they had and change them to wings etc.

Is that what you're asking?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 01:09 PM

Rems's Flag is: Australia

That's a, not really how evolution works and b, not possible. We're not going to, and are not able to, 'evolve' some kind of group consciousness or hive mind.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rems View Post
That's a, not really how evolution works and b, not possible. We're not going to, and are not able to, 'evolve' some kind of group consciousness or hive mind.
A. So evolution has always only magically given a creature something it absolutely needs? we as a race have evolved into sentience, as far as we know, we are the only race to do so. We are quite short lived and since it would take a couple THOUSAND human life times to see a major change on the evolutionary scale, but it happens. I do not actually seeing us becoming one thought, I do think we would keep our individual thoughts, but even through mechanical and technological means we are already evolving into a hive mind thanks to the internet.

Edit: oh and guess what: Evolution gives MANY possibilities, why would it not be able to perceived that maybe if you FORCE conditions onto a creature for centuries it might EVOLVE to that condition? not all evolutions make it.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 07:06 PM

IIRC(?) isn't an appendix is something that humans needed in the past as it enabled us to eat wood and stuff like that...we're still born with them now, but we forgot how to use them so long ago that they're just redundant.
If that can happen to us then yeah, I can't see a reason why it wouldn't have happened to others too.

I'm not sure about a hive mind thing, because wouldn't it mean that the individual would need to give up some element of self-determination and freewill in order to access it..?
Do you mean people would be able to access some kind of Mind-Wikipedia?
What sort of reasons and/or benefits do you think there might be for doing it?

I'm fascinated by a human-machine interface (is there a guy with a robotic arm somewhere?).

In the more recent future, is it more likely that humans look at something like finding out how to access the bits of our brain that we don't use?

Urgently trying to trace any living relatives of Private Sam/Samuel "Jock" Wilson (Black Watch, No. 6 Commando, UK Army Service ID 2764432, died 10.06.44). Any info/suggestions gratefully received.

"Mockles! Pent on silpen tree, blockards three a-feening. Mockles! What silps came to thee, in thy pantry, dreaming?"

Please check out the HOES (Heresy Online Stories) threads and vote for the tales.
More feedback = better stories for everyone.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 10:29 PM

To me evolution is complete BS.

Right now I'm trying to figure out why losing our fur and being forced to wear skins. Is a step in the correct direction for evolution. Having a bigger brain is not a trade off that makes sense.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 10:48 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Despite having a bigger brain, it is highly unfortunate that the vast majority of the human race are thicker than a whale omelette....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
To me evolution is complete BS.

Right now I'm trying to figure out why losing our fur and being forced to wear skins. Is a step in the correct direction for evolution. Having a bigger brain is not a trade off that makes sense.
yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
Despite having a bigger brain, it is highly unfortunate that the vast majority of the human race are thicker than a whale omelette....
like its been said for a long time now, Greater mass does not Equate to Greater Quality.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 11:08 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Werewolf_Arngeirr View Post
like its been said for a long time now, Greater mass does not Equate to Greater Quality.
Unless your name is Stalin, and then Quantity has a Quality all of it's own. But that's a totally different ball game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 11:13 PM

Chaplain-Grimaldus's Flag is: England

All your theory on evolving intelligence is moot and fails if you throw one of 2 things into the mix

A god. Or, Aliens.

:-p

W-L-D
Dark Angels 5th Coy 1.5k - 0-0-0
Vampire Counts 1k - 1-1-0

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode