Who Do You Respect More - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-13, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Grr! That is all.
WaLkAwaY's Flag is: USA

Default Who Do You Respect More

What garners more respect from you or what do you think deserves more accolades or nods of approval.

Scenario One:

I have two friends that are equally motivated in body building. They are both at the point where they could compete and one actually does. For simplicity I will refer to them as Adam and Mike.

Adam:
  • Mesomorph/Endomorph. Easy to put on weight moderately hard to take it off.
  • Age 43
  • Weight at start 231.3 pounds @39.9% BF.
  • Height 5'8”
  • No history of genetic illness.

Adam has told me that he has always battled obesity. He was a fat kid and his parents ate poorly and taught him poor nutrition habits. He is 5'8” and at one point he was 230 pounds with a body fat of 40%. He cleaned up his diet and eats 6 – 7 times a day, he started training in weights and cardio working with a trainer at first then gradually going it alone. He is 182 pounds now and sits at around 8% body fat and for competitions goes as low as 4 or 5%. This process took him 4 years of hard work and dedication.

Mike:
  • Mesomorph/Endomorph. Easy to put on weight very hard to take it off.
  • Age 42
  • Weight at start 162 pounds @12% BF
  • Height 5'7
  • No history of genetic illness.

Mike says for the most part he has always stayed on the lean side for his body type while here and there having increases of 2 or 3 pounds now and again. He has told me that while he has never been fat and always around 10 – 12% body fat he does find that as he has aged it has gotten harder to lose any extra fat he accumulates. His parents were almost non existent so his food choices were primarily left to him as a child and teen. Mike eats very clean and like Adam eats 6 – 7 times a day.

Mike studied bodybuilding and never used a trainer, coming up with his own routines and guidelines. After 6 years of hard work and dedication he is now 190 pounds and sits around 6% body fat. Mike stays at almost competition body fat percentages but has never and has no desire to compete.

Scenario Two:

John is from an elite upper class family who's parents were so absorbed in their own affairs they were abusive by never being there for their children giving them the emotional and psychological support they needed. During his childhood he watched his socialite parents hold balls and events with alcohol being a large part of the social gatherings. Surrounded by older siblings who rubbed elbows with celebrities and partied non stop while using drugs by the time John was in high school he was already a heavy user of cocaine.

In the younger years of private schools the teachers showed no interest in the students instead they were concerned with their own lives. Often students were given grades simply because their parents had paid for them.

John had no mentors to help him or support from adults who could encourage him. During his second year of high school John decided to clean himself up and focus on college. During three years of high school John worked three jobs and saved up money for college and by the time he went to college was able to afford an apartment off campus. It was very tough in the years that followed as John continued to have to hold two jobs at a time and go to law school.

No support came from the parents monetarily, emotionally or mentally and no government aid was used.

John graduated and is now a lawyer for a large New York law firm.

Marcus was born to an abusive single father (mother died during birth) who was an alcoholic and addicted to crack. The low income inner city neighborhood were he lived was a haven for drug trafficking and gang violence. At a young age Marcus was arrested for selling drugs and working as a prostitute. He was placed in foster care by the courts where he was for the most part forgotten.

During his middle school years Marcus was singled out for having an aptitude for math and many teachers mentored him in this area. When Marcus was in high school he earned a scholarship which would pay for two years of his college. While Marcus proved to be an exceptional student in college grasping math and science subjects with ease he also liked to have fun and instead of working took government aid to pay for his schooling.

No support came from the parents monetarily, emotionally or mentally, heavy government aid was relied upon.

Marcus graduated with a Bachelors in Pharmacy but found that any further schooling to become a Pharmacist would require loans that were out of his reach. Marcus works as a Pharmacy Technician now.

In the two stories above which person would you recognize as having overcome more obstacles to attain their goals?

What garners more respect from you. Someone who started out fat and overcame that obstacle to be a competitive body builder or someone who started out at a reasonable weight and built upon that to also be at the level of a competitive body builder?

How do you see society react to those two very different stories?

Does it matter more to you, do you respect someone more for overcoming obstacles to achieve a goal? Do you think that the person who achieves their goal while having had to overcome obstacles deserves more “wow that is amazing” than someone who did not but arrives at the same goal?

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.” – Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

War does not care about convenience or inclement weather. Neither should your training. ~Me (Okay really my brother and I felt bad for stealing it)

Last edited by WaLkAwaY; 07-20-13 at 10:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-13, 12:22 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaLkAwaY View Post
In the two stories above which person would you recognize as having overcome more obstacles to attain their goals?
I know that there's a lot more than just this line, but this is where I have an issue.

They all worked their asses off. They all overcame huge personal obstacles which may seem massive or puny to you or I, but they were life altering to the people who faced them. They all deserve massive amounts of respect, and life isn't a competition.

It irks me to hear when I am relating to someone the things I'm going through to hear "oh yeah? well I.." and vice versa. I'll never toss out that 'oh, well if it makes you feel better I've [insert something worse here] and came out on top'.

Getting over drug addiction was profoundly hard for me, and I did it without going to rehab and with many complications. Doesn't mean I look down on people that do go to rehab for the same things I had going on, or think that they were more addicted or less strong willed than I. It also doesn't diminish that person's accomplishments or mine to know that it took different types of help and support for us both to succeed. What matters is the success of the individual to make themselves a better person in their own eyes, not what anyone else thinks of it.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-13, 12:49 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Pretty much agree with Ntaw on this one.

Stories of 4 blokes, each with their own row to hoe. Pretty much all of us face similar things somewhere in our lot.

I don't respect any particular one above the other, I have admiration for anyone who works hard to be successful.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-13, 02:34 AM

AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH's Flag is: Denmark

Well, if they all reached their goals within the confines of the law and while still adherring to their own moral standards then all I really can do is congratulate each and every one of them. I don't know them or their personal struggles and so I can't really pass any judgement on them nor would it be my place to do so.

So a good, old, cheesy "Keep on trucking, partner!" from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
So you're a wanker?
Who cares? Anyone that says they don't wank is a lying twat. Wank hard, wank often.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-13, 02:58 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
Pretty much agree with Ntaw on this one.
I took a picture of that

Glad to see a couple other Heresy members share the same sentiment!

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-13, 03:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
I took a picture of that

Glad to see a couple other Heresy members share the same sentiment!
An opportunity to use my favourite movie line.

-ahem-

Gravel Voce "Doesn't mean we're gunna be swappin' spit in the showers"

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-13, 03:11 AM

bobg's Flag is: England

I can't say any of them deserve more accolades then the others.

They all worked extremely hard to get where they are.

Someday someone will say something about me witty or memorable enough to put here til then enjoy this;

Rule 66: the cake is a lie
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-13, 03:43 AM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Yeah I'm with everyone else on this. I don't see why I would or should respect any one of them more than another.

However, if it gets me some bro points with John, so that he can be my lawyer on the cheap when the police find all those dead hookers....then John all the way!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-13, 03:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
However, if it gets me some bro points with John, so that he can be my lawyer on the cheap when the police find all those dead hookers....then John all the way!
Meh, with all the "holding of balls" and "rubbing of elbows" in his youth, my bet is he's a crap lawyer who slept his way to the top
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-13, 05:31 AM
Feed

So each one works as hard as they need to? Then respect is respect. They're working as hard as they need to.

Nonsense is our Salvation

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode