Gatling laser cannon of sci-fi lore now a reality (kind of) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-13, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Default Gatling laser cannon of sci-fi lore now a reality (kind of)

From: Gatling laser cannon of sci-fi lore now a reality (kind of) - NBC News.com

Many fans of sci-fi books, movies and video games have encountered the concept of a "Gatling laser gun" or something like it, with rotating barrels and exotic projectiles. Now a laser-loving gadgeteer has made a real-life one though its destructive capabilities are limited to balloons for now.
Patrick Priebe, who runs Laser-Gadgets.com and goes by the name AnselmoFanZero on YouTube, showed off his creation in a video uploaded earlier this week. Six "Arctic" blue lasers from Wicked Lasers and an extra green one for aiming are mounted on a futuristic-looking case.

When turned on, it creates six extremely bright blue beams that are rotated rapidly by an internal mechanism. It's all very cool-looking, but it doesn't make the lasers more powerful, and it's not really a Gatling gun, either.
The original Gatling gun, invented just before the Civil War, was one of the first guns that could fire rapidly: its six barrels were rotated by a hand crank and each fired when they reached the top position. A new cartridge was then automatically loaded, and the barrel could cool while it rotated around. So the rotation actually served a purpose, and the principle remains in modern rotary guns like the Vulcan cannon.

In the case of this laser gun, the rotation is strictly ornamental. After all, these lasers do their damage by remaining on a single point and heating it up with an intense stream of photons. So when you rotate the beams, you're actually decreasing its effectiveness.

Stationary, the beams make short work of a wall of balloons, so Priebe is clearly playing with a lot of power here. But it seems like it will still be some time before the dreams of sci-fi geeks come true.
via Gizmag

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-13, 12:55 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

I like wicked lasers. The gatling gun is Meh to be honest. I can see the possible need of rotation parts in a laser array for cooling, but it would be internal. He'll he doesn't even sprin the barrels when he is popping balloons.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-13, 12:14 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but the gatling lasers from fallout don't have rotating barrels do they?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-13, 12:59 AM
Feed

I'm pretty sure the spinning is just for cool, not for practicality. Still, this looked the part.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-13, 09:38 AM

khrone forever's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: lived on tyran, moved to occulus, then to macragge.DAMN THE TYRANIDS!!! (near derby)

You dont need a very high power laser to pop a black balloon, hell, im sure you could do it with a good laser pointer. however i could be wrong.

Looks cool though

40Kprayers and benedictions

see my guard army here

see my Empire army
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-13, 03:26 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Probably need something more in line with a wicked laser type pointer vs something at Walmart.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-13, 03:59 AM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

Its clever but isn't the point of a gatling gun that it only fires through one barrel at a time? Meaning it can have a massive ROF without over heating, that's why the barrels rotate, each barrel only fires one in every 6 (or whatever) shots.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-13, 04:08 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Does anyone know why when I shoot my laser distance meter onto a black balloon it doesn't burst ?

I'd have thought it would have a heap more power than a pointer ?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-13, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
Does anyone know why when I shoot my laser distance meter onto a black balloon it doesn't burst ?

I'd have thought it would have a heap more power than a pointer ?
If it's anything like the ones at work then it's just a standard laser pointer. Using some sciency stuff to reflect the beam back to get the distances.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-13, 06:32 AM
Septok's Flag is: England

[Insert overused but awesome laser reference here.]

But yeah. Power it up so we can burn people through with it, then mass-produce them. I really wonder whether we'll ever end up with lasers as the ammo for all guns in the future.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode